Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just got the 2016 MDX and when selecting cruise 120 the speedo indicates 122.5. I got the navi model which comes with these tires... continental 245/55/19

Which one is right (cruise control or speedo). This also could have an impact on warranty as if its off by 2% my warranty expires 2000 KM early! i.e. when real mileage is 98000 KM it would indicate 100 000 KM.

this is very annoying to have to set 123 to drive at 125, around here 127 means a ticket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I got from dealership:

"I have explored the issue regarding speed the cruise is set at and the speed
indicated and apparently this is quite normal and there is generally a 2% to
3% difference. This in no way impacts the odometer readings."

They really can't match the cruise speed with the speedometer in 2016 WTF

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is the same "issue" on BMW too and their response was exactly what you got, but they also added "For safety issue, the manufacturer intends to make the speedo meter to display higher than the actual speed" :eek:

LoL now Acura is doing the same ... :D

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Hi, Just got the 2016 MDX and when selecting cruise 120 the speedo indicates 122.5. I got the navi model which comes with these tires... continental 245/55/19

Which one is right (cruise control or speedo). This also could have an impact on warranty as if its off by 2% my warranty expires 2000 KM early! i.e. when real mileage is 98000 KM it would indicate 100 000 KM.

this is very annoying to have to set 123 to drive at 125, around here 127 means a ticket.
I would check the odometer by matching it with mile markers on the roads,or K markers. As far as the speedometer,in the USA I would use those same mileage markers,I would go 60 mph or the K equivalent. That's a mile a minute. Have someone time you. If you are actually going 60 you should pass the marker right on the second.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
they also added "For safety issue, the manufacturer intends to make the speedo meter to display higher than the actual speed"
It's hard to imagine a manufacturer actually purposely making the speedometer inaccurate for that reason. I'd expect there's probably a law dictating speedometer accuracy within some tolerance. There's typically some inaccuracy caused by using different diameter tires on the vehicle (unless the speedometer gear is changed or the speedometer otherwise calibrated differently), and there's even some difference in the display between having new tires vs worn tires. And when someone purposely changes the tires, for example different tire heights that might result when putting different rims on, the speedometer is now even less accurate.

If someone's wondering about the accuracy of the speedometer for some reason, including after they made changes in wheels/tires to something non-factory, they can use the highway mile markers to check the accuracy - as mentioned above. Nowadays GPS could be used as well to check it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts