Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a new set of tires, most likely the Michelin LTX series (255/55/18 to match what's on the vehicle now). I can pick up a reasonably priced set from Costco, but they're available in either H (130mph) or V (over 130mph) rating. The cost difference isn't huge ($17 a tire), and the rest of the ratings, like load, is identical.

My question - can any one think of a reason that an MDX would benefit from a V-rated tire? I regularly drive it at 80mph (living in the west) but can say with absolute certainty that it's never gonna see 131mph (unless I take a wrong turn and drive off the edge of the Grand Canyon).

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Tbh, I've just been getting H most of the time (sometimes the V has better prices). I do the same on my wife's coupe, which has a higher likelihood of going to those speeds and haven't noticed a difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have 20" conti DWS 06 with a W rating of 168 mph (the only way they are made). The MDX was developed for H rated tires and that would be the lowest I would go for a replacement. There are so many different brands of H, V, and W tires to pick from where some are better than other; but, mostly all meet the minimal standards. I would pick the tires that best reflect your driving environment and style.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on some H-rated Michelin Premier LTX 255/55R18XL tires. Look to be a really good, high-quality tire that gets the best reviews in its class. I've got the LTX M/S on my Jeep (a more aggressive tread pattern that actually does amazingly well off-road) and they've been magic. I should have the new shoes on my MDX in a week or so - hoping that it quiets down the ride a bit... the old 55,000 mile Nittos are getting a bit hard and starting to lose traction in the wet (not a big problem here in Arizona, of course).

FWIW, I did see someone suggest that some of the V-rated tires had softer, stickier (and therefore, quicker-wearing) rubber compound than the H-series. Don't know if I buy that or not (given that both versions have a 60,000 mile warranty), but I'm absolutely certain I won't be exceeding the design speed of my humble H-rated tires.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
No benefit at all since the MDX is speed limited (Governed) to 130mph anyway....
How do I know? well I tried to reach 160mph in México of course, Using V Rated tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder if the high ambient temps in the Southwest (and, especially, the sun-drenched pavement) should factor into this issue...?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
My theory is the higher rating might provide added benefits like more resistance to heat build-up, better handling/braking at speed, and higher build tolerances. I travel a lot in the southwest heat can get extreme during the summer (especially in AZ). When it is +115 degrees, the road can be +150 degrees. The news always love to bake cookies on the dashboard or cook an egg on the street to show how hot it is in AZ.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just checked the door sticker on my 2006 MDX (Canadian) and it recommends 103T rated tires. So the H speed rating tires are more than acceptable imho.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just checked the door sticker on my 2006 MDX (Canadian) and it recommends 103T rated tires. So the H speed rating tires are more than acceptable imho.
Just curious.. the 103 T is a load rating .. not to be confused with the H or V speed rating..
my 2c
j.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Indeed you are correct...!! I blame this moment of insanity on this latest heat wave..!!!
;)
J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts