Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are in the market for a 2018 or 2019 hybrid. There are still some 2018 black and white hybrids, but we are looking for one in lunar silver. We talked to two Chicagoland area dealers about ordering a 2019 and neither one seems interested. They claim there is limited production on any 2019 hybrids and there are no lunar silver ones coming in. They keep pushing the 2018 black ones they have in stock, or if we want a 2019 they could get the black for us in September. We thought we could just go in and order a hybrid in the color we want. Is this not the way it works? I'm so tired of salespeople trying to sell me on either what's left on the lot or what they have already on order. Can anyone with knowledge on this matter please give some advice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those of us that have the MDX Sport Hybrid feel your pain. I don't think any of us just went down to the dealer and picked one up. I only wanted the Lunar Silver and had to widen my on line search to my state plus all the neighboring states. When you find it, then seal the deal on line first, then hopefully, you can pick it up or in my case do an out of state delivery. The Sport Hybrid is a limited edition, but I felt it was worth the hassle. So far, no regrets. Good Luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those of us that have the MDX Sport Hybrid feel your pain.... The Sport Hybrid is a limited edition, but I felt it was worth the hassle. So far, no regrets. Good Luck.
+1

Have to admit, I'm surprised the dealers are reluctant to even let you order one. You can search inventories on cars.com and sometimes it also lists cars that are soon to be delivered. At this time, it looks like there's just one Lunar Silver - in Chatanooga. Ugh!

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...ENT&showMore=true&sort=price-highest&zc=60606

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link to cars.com. I will definitely keep checking with them, to see if anything new comes up. We also left a message for Lance, at Woodfield Acura, this morning. Waiting to hear back from him.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My wife and I are in the market for a 2018 or 2019 hybrid. There are still some 2018 black and white hybrids, but we are looking for one in lunar silver. We talked to two Chicagoland area dealers about ordering a 2019 and neither one seems interested. They claim there is limited production on any 2019 hybrids and there are no lunar silver ones coming in. They keep pushing the 2018 black ones they have in stock, or if we want a 2019 they could get the black for us in September. We thought we could just go in and order a hybrid in the color we want. Is this not the way it works? I'm so tired of salespeople trying to sell me on either what's left on the lot or what they have already on order. Can anyone with knowledge on this matter please give some advice.
Going with a broker, sometimes, helps. I have bought two vehicles through a broker out of NYC and they trade nationwide and sometimes can pull vehicles from other dealerships, that the local dealership may not do as they are not part of their 'network'. This cuts the hassle and BS that the sales person makes. The broker I use takes a commission of $300 per sale on my vehicles and the most recent company vehicle purchase saw a $200 commission. The prices are either the same or below dealership's invoice. You cannot walk into a dealership and expect to pay that little. I prefer to pay the broker than deal with the crap I have to hear from dealership after dealership and they non stop phonecalls and emails. It is aggravating.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Going with a broker, sometimes, helps. I have bought two vehicles through a broker out of NYC and they trade nationwide and sometimes can pull vehicles from other dealerships, that the local dealership may not do as they are not part of their 'network'. This cuts the hassle and BS that the sales person makes. The broker I use takes a commission of $300 per sale on my vehicles and the most recent company vehicle purchase saw a $200 commission. The prices are either the same or below dealership's invoice. You cannot walk into a dealership and expect to pay that little. I prefer to pay the broker than deal with the crap I have to hear from dealership after dealership and they non stop phonecalls and emails. It is aggravating.
As long as they get paid after they make the deal. Most brokers here want their money upfront without even giving you any figures, what if I can do better on my own?. That's why I strictly deal with internet sales managers, they're usually non commissioned and are only interested in moving units. I am able to get killer deals, many times way below invoice. Our current 18 MDX is an excellent example.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2018 lunar silver hybrid advance bought back in April. Love the car. I had to be super aggressive in calling around to find a dealership that had a clue. Most sales guys had no idea and didn’t care to look. Finally a guy over 100 miles away at Roseville, CA Acura understood what I wanted and kept checking incoming inventories until he found mine and called me. Actually, I called him—you gotta keep on these people. I think you gotta be proactive and willing to travel or pay to have the hybrid you want shipped, assuming it’s even in existence. Was well worth it though. Amazing vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered a 2018 White Advanced Sport Hybrid MDX, took 2 1/2 months, long wait but for sure but well worth the wait. I see Pohanka Acura in Chantilly Va has used Silver MDX Sport Hybrid Technology with 3400 miles on it. Here is the link.. https://www.pohankaacura.com/auto/u...hybrid-wtechnology-pkg-chantilly-va/29607303/ ... Picture shows white, but description reads silver/ebony, so not sure which is correct. Dealers do want to clear their inventory, but very surprising they would not take your order.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We did talk to Lance. As of right now we can't come to an agreement on price. I know the hybrids are limited production but I don't want to feel like I overpaid for the car.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
We did talk to Lance. As of right now we can't come to an agreement on price. I know the hybrids are limited production but I don't want to feel like I overpaid for the car.
The bottom line is Hybrids are limited. You also want a certain color,which you have seen is hard to get. Unless they are trying to get you to spend over list price,you won’t be sorry. You can’t expect to get a 19 for the same price as an 18. Acura has created a sellers market on these right now.
By the way,I do not work for Woodfield Acura. I just found Lance good for a salesman.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I don’t know how I got in the middle of this but,Lance thinks this other dealer is probably not being honest with you. While you wait,another salesman may sell this car before it even arrives. There will be none of this color combo for months. There are currently no incentives on this car. He doesn’t think this dealer can offer the price. Also,the 52 dealer region has 1 coming in and Woodfield Acura has it. Obviously,if you wait long enough,you may get your price. But it still may not be the correct color.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When i worked for BMW they built cars/trucks for clients no problem. However since i've been with Acura, 2 years now i have never seen anyone build a car. As for the Hybrid i can attest Acura themselves make a very small amount and distribute said small amount to all dealers. Same goes with Acura watch plus packages on RDX and MDX. they are all but non existent. For color specific i personall find the Modern steel metallic the better color, my opinion. So far no 19 hybrids at my dealer yet, just regular mdx. I agree with widening your search and you have to be willing to travel out of state.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
When i worked for BMW they built cars/trucks for clients no problem. However since i've been with Acura, 2 years now i have never seen anyone build a car. As for the Hybrid i can attest Acura themselves make a very small amount and distribute said small amount to all dealers. Same goes with Acura watch plus packages on RDX and MDX. they are all but non existent. For color specific i personall find the Modern steel metallic the better color, my opinion. So far no 19 hybrids at my dealer yet, just regular mdx. I agree with widening your search and you have to be willing to travel out of state.
What is Acura watch plus? Do you work for the dealer,or do work for Acura?
I like the modern steel. There are just too many of them

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.