Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently made a post about an issue with the subwoofer in my 2005 MDX. I am now having issues with the speakers. For the past few weeks, sometimes when I turned on the car I would get loud static from the rear speakers (middle row and 3rd row) that only went away if I powered off the radio. It went away about 10 - 20 seconds after turning on the car but I was able to listen to CD/FM/AM even when there was static.

However, today when I turned on the car sound did not play at all from CD/FM/AM. I can't even hear the hands-free call prompts. Sometimes if I turned off the car and turned it back on, I would be able to get sound again. The volume/tuning knobs and the radio display are all working fine. Its just like the sound is muted.

So I did some research and found that some people were able to get the issue resolved by disconnecting the battery and connecting the red and black wires for 30 minutes to reset the radio (and keying in the anti-theft codes after starting it up). I also found that some people resolved the issue by replacing fuse #9 (Front Accessory Socket, HFL, OnStar) in the fuse box under the passenger side glove box. Some people fixed it by replacing fuse #9 (Radio) in the primary under-hood fuse box. I replaced the fuses with spares of the same rating.

I tried all 3 of these things. After starting the car after each of the solutions, the sound worked. But after I turned the car off and on again, sound stopped again. I'm not really getting that static anymore though. I can't find any other potential solutions online, does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate it. This is my first car and I was hoping it would run smoothly. It is a good learning experience though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
FWIW, I didn't have the same exact problems you described but on my 2006 MDX here's what happened when I had no sound and front speaker static issues at different times.

The no sound turned out to be the HFL unit. You could try disconnecting the HFL and see if the radio
or CD plays. The unit is in the overhead console. You'll need a flat plastic trim tool or taped flat screw driver, 8mm socket, and #2 phillips. Check YouTube for exactly how. (Pulling the underdash #9 fuse might work but that could also kill the entire sound system.)

The front speaker static with radio, cd, or iPod turned out to be the iPod player the dealer installed (when we bought the car new) to work with the aux on the head unit. After chasing grounds, swapping speakers front to back, inspecting the amp under the dash for bad capacitors, I ended up disconnecting the iPod player at the Y junction behind the head unit and bam, no static.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts