Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jusrt washed and Z6'd my car, and then went to look at the rear door speakers to see about installing some replacements. There were drops of water on the rain basket--so these puppies are really doing their job. I know that They Call Me Bruce has stessed the importance of having this kind of protection in place in some of his rants, and now I can confirm that they are necesary to keep your speakers from getting wet.

·
Registered
738 Posts
mikel51 said:
I jusrt washed and Z6'd my car, and then went to look at the rear door speakers to see about installing some replacements. There were drops of water on the rain basket--so these puppies are really doing their job. I know that They Call Me Bruce has stessed the importance of having this kind of protection in place in some of his rants, and now I can confirm that they are necesary to keep your speakers from getting wet.
Thanks for the affirmation.

However, I think the terminology may cause people to see a conflict. Some members who may not have followed the entire thread may misunderstand the importance of a rain or moisture barrier as opposed to the necessity of keeping the stock rain basket.

Please allow me to clarify; if the rain baskets get in the way of your speakers, modify or annihilate them. But please do replace them with some other form of water protection. Articles in auto sound journals recommend placing an oversized sheet of very thick plastic (people use these as moisture barrier in home improvement, landscaping, and paint overspray, can be found in the paint deparment), or just a packing bag that is particularly tough, over the hole before mounting the speaker. Just push the plastic into the hole with the speaker, go around the back side and pull a small amount near the bottom to act as the "boot" to tape or twist-tie around the speaker wires, after you have connected them. After mounting the speaker, cut off the excess.

As for my previous rants, I appreciate the patience people have had with me, but at least it seems that a number of people are looking more closely at the issues I brought up and are considering remediations. That's all I wanted to do, get people to think about it. Whatever makes people happy is cool with me.:cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like rants--it means you are passionate about your ideas. Plus, after replacing my front door speakers with the Infinities, i agree with you about the tonal balance issue.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Bruce,
I am appreciative of your "rants" also and your comments and suggestions have definitely influenced me. I'll be making final decisions this week on my audio/visual install, but will definitely be going with Boston Acoustic speakers - most likely the Z6 Reference Series components in the front doors and Pro Series in the rear doors. I'll do a separate thread on the install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts