Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I orginally mounted the Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XR600s in the front doors and then switched them to the rear doors. I thought that the Kenwoods would be an easier mount in the rear and the Infinity 652 had better reviews so I wanted them up front. The Kenwoods were mounted upside down and the screws were not quite long enough for a good fit. I decided to switch the Kenwoods and Infinitys to see if it improved the sound.

Upon trying the Infinitys in the back, they were actually easier to fit in than the Kenwoods. I didn't try them myself as it was getting late during the first install and the pictures I have seen led me to believe that the Kenwoods would be easier. After spinning the install ring that came with the infinitys, I found a position where only a small amount of plastic needed to be bent back to fit the speaker in.

So the Kenwoods are now in the front doors, with some weatherstripping around for a tight seal (as tight as possible without dynamat - which may come later), the Infinitys are in the back door. The (sub)woofer is stock (next project) and the stock tweeters and twiddler have been disconnected.

Results - I like the sound better now than before. In this application, the Kenwood's sound to have a flatter frequency response than the Infinitys. With the Infinitys up front, the midrange seemed a little too subdued. The sound is more balanced now. The Kenwoods don't have as good of a high highs or deep lows as the Infinitys, but these are filled in nicely from them in the rear. The bass is pretty good, no noticable booming. I hope to improve it further be tweaking the stock sub or better yet replacing it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kenwoods in the front doors

Sorry for the blurry pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenwoods with weatherstripping

Ooops - out of order!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Infinity in rainbasket

Way Blurry! Sorry!

This is showing the part of the rain basket that needs to be bent or cut away to allow the speaker connector to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Infinity Install Ring in Rainbasket

The rings were installed in the baskets in the doors using stock screws. This is the rotation I used that yielded the least trimming required of the rain basket.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Infinity in Rear Door

I rotated the tweeter to face up and popped the cover back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry if my explanations were a little too brief, but I got a nasty summer cold (thanks kids!) and am going to bed. Please let me know if anyone has any questions as to what I did or why and I'll answer them in detail later.

Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks Krammer for the update. From your first install, I was almost considering putting the Kenwoods in the rear to see how that sounded.

As you know based on my left to right comparison (one infinity, one kenwood). I decided to put the Kenwoods in the front. Based on your experiment, I think I will keep my Kenwoods up front as well.

Your comparison of the two speakers is very good. I think I descibe them similarly. You said 'flatter frequency response' (Kenwood) and 'lack of mid-range', 'higher highs' and 'deeper lows' (Infinity). I said 'warmer' (Kenwoods) and 'brighter' (Infinity).

I must say, the Infinitys definetly do mount up nicely in the rear speaker locations. Using the instructions found here at Acuramdx.org.

I'm still lookin for a Polk GNX 10 DVC to replace the sub.

·
Registered
396 Posts
And as far as the weather stripping on the Kenwoods, good idea. I have have something very similar that I was planning to use. I was somewhat concerned of the extra holes to mount the Kenwoods creating a poor seal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Emerald01: It does seem like we agree on our assessment of the speakers. I guess my terminology is rooted in my physics/engineering background. I haven't been doing that for a couple of years now, but I can't get it out of my blood.

When I mounted the Kenwoods in the front originally, I noticed that the holes in the mounting ring surrounding the speaker did not cover the door panel and therefore gave a lousy seal (not that the rest of the door panel is a good seal - but holes right next to the speaker cone cannot be good) which was one of the reasons that I tried them in the back instead. I'm a little upset with myself for not spending more time on the first install day to get it right the first time, so I didn't have to bend the parts on the speaker, drill extra holes in the front door panel and cut a little extra from the rain basket, but I guess I didn't do any real harm as everything sounds really good now (excluding the sub of course). I'm very happy with the sound of the pairing of the Kenwoods and the Infinitys.

Let me know if you find a good deal on the Polk sub. I'll be getting that too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Krammer:
Thanks for the pics and the personal reply.
Not to be too "anal" about this, but could you describe your (now) front installation of the Kenwoods... Do I need to drill additional holes to mount, as the Kenwoods do not seem to match the factory holes? Did you cut/file off the plastic "nubs"? I'm obviously not that experienced with installs, but I'd like to get exact advice on this before I risk damaging something.

Thanks again! (Also for your patience!)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't blame you for being anal when it comes to drilling holes in your MDX. That is why I was mad at myself for not getting it right the first time, eventhough the end results are fine.

I first sliced off the plastic nubs with a utility knife. I then placed the speakers in the holes and centered them as best as possible. You need to do this as you will not be able to get the screws to contact the flat part of the door panel if you don't. I pencil marked where the holes should go. The top hole is directly beneath the factory hole, just above where the panel curves inward to accept the speaker. I put in two others near the factory locations, again they are very close to where the panel curves inward, so be careful when marking the holes so that you allow enough of the flat panel area to properly grab the screws. Even with the speaker mounted so that it sits on as much of the flat panel part as possible, you will still see through some of the holes in the mounting ring where the panel curves in. That is why I added the weatherstripping to seal up these holes and give me a tighter seal all around. I then used a small drill bit (sorry, I don't know the size as it was just one that came with my electric screwdriver. I could look it up if you really need it, but just make sure that it is smaller than the mounting screws.) I drilled the three holes and mounted the speaker. You could use more if you want, but the three seems to give a good tight fit.

Also, sorry if I led you astray to mount the Kenwoods in the rear and you are now switching them as I did.

·
Registered
747 Posts
edmondsmdx said:
Krammer:
Thanks for the pics and the personal reply.
Not to be too "anal" about this, but could you describe your (now) front installation of the Kenwoods... Do I need to drill additional holes to mount, as the Kenwoods do not seem to match the factory holes? Did you cut/file off the plastic "nubs"? I'm obviously not that experienced with installs, but I'd like to get exact advice on this before I risk damaging something.

Thanks again! (Also for your patience!)
Edmond,

In addition to Krammer's excellent advice and pics, you can take a look at a few other threads that detail the installation process. Take a look at this thread and notice Daleb's post--he links to some other great threads for instructions.

Good Luck, and let us know if you have q's!
Rob:31:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Robyjo thanks for the kind words. I too checked out this forum before proceeding with my installation and found many helpful hints. There were quite a few threads on this topic. The easiest way to find info was to search for "Infinity". There are many detailed posts on speaker install. Good luck edmondsmdx and let us know how things turn out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts