Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After missing my car terribly for the two days it was being worked on, I got it back Saturday around 6:30. Wow! What a tremendous difference. The installation accomplished the goals I had set out for it (factory look, stealth, clear top quality sound).

The factory RES head unit was retained but everything else was upgraded.

Here is the equipment that made it into the car:
Front Speakers: MB Quart Q218.61 (crossover attenuation at -6db, but might raise to -4db after living with it a couple of weeks). The tweeters are bright right out of the box, but with a little attenuation, they sound wonderful. In addition, the mids on these are absolutely incredible. I'm not sure where they ended up mounting the crossovers.

Rear Speakers: Crossfire CS6 separates
They are mounted like a coaxial. These were chosen due to their high quality sound and ability to angle the tweeter to match the installation. The crossovers are mounted in the doors.

Subwoofer: USD Audio Millennium Dual Voice Coil 10" in a custom "black hole" box.
Fiberglass was the original choice, but after opening up the factory location for the sub, the installers decided it would be better to use this other style of box. I know I am being vague here, but I'm still not sure I understand exactly what it is they did. This company has built multiple national champion cars using this style of box, and I have a long history with them, so I went with it. I'm going to try and get him to explain it in more detail when I talk with him in a couple of weeks. For a 10" sub, it does an amazing job of reproducing bass, regardless of the type of music. I am very impressed.

Amp: Crossfire VR705D
50x4 Class A, 300x1 Class D for the sub. This was installed in the headrest storage area mounted with two strips of metal and then velcro. In addition, two holes were cut then covered with grills to allow airflow in and out of the headrest area. Fans are being considered but since I tend not to push my systems very hard for sustained periods of time, we are going to try it without for now. The amp is being driven by the two sets of preouts that come from the factory RES head unit.

Remote Bass Level:
Mounted inside of center console, it allows me to adjust the bass level directly in the amplifier. Very nice to have. We tried to find a spot with easier access but it just didn't look right.

Installers:
Speaker Works in Orange, CA.
A big thanks to Eric Holdaway, Pat Holdaway and his installation team for a very nice job. This is the third car they have worked on for me. They really put in the extra time to make sure it would sound as great as the car looks! :eek:

Coming Next:
I have the Dension MP3 hard drive player on order (the 120GB drive is already waiting for it) and should be having that installed in a couple of weeks. The MP3 player can act like a Alpine MBUS changer, so I am planning to pull the changer and installing the MP3 Player in its place. I should have limited control of the unit right through the factory RES head unit. I still have not settled on a location for the Satellite unit though.

Whew, I think that's enough for now. I will be posting some pictures when time allows.

A big thanks to all those who took the time to post their successes and research, it was invaluable in the planning of my setup.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sounds great AikiMDX. Nothing like getting one the best in the industry for your install. I am very impressed. I can not wait to see pics.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I will finally be doing an hour long drive (each way) this weekend. Looking forward to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts