Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I think you have lots of time to worry about it. They will probably have even better plugs by then. Maybe 200,000 mile plugs!
I know I wont wait for 100K to replace mine. Same goes for the timing belt. But for now would stay with stock parts.
Maybe 75K for both plugs, timing belt, and water pump (recommended when you do the belt, right?).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Trust the manual

I would rely on the manufacturer to provide a go-by.

·
Registered
738 Posts
DaleB said:
Actually, the timing belt is to be replaced at 60,000 mi. under severe service. Does not say that about the plugs though.
I would think the plugs will lose their efficiency before 105K and it's a small cost labor-wise to replace them.
I thought the same about the timing belt but on closer inspection:

My factory service manual says severe service in relation to the timing belt, specifically, is when "the vehicle is regulary driven in over 110F, or under -20F weather, or if frequently towing a trailer." I guess peoplewho live in Palm Springs, parts of Texas, or who take their boat out every weekend probably fall under this category.

The manual clearly distinguishes severe service between other maintenance intervals and the specific timing belt service. I think 105K is okay for "normal" severe service.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone tried to install SplitFire into their X, or something similar? If so, how does the vehicle perform afterwards?

·
Registered
699 Posts
MDX-Hungry said:
Has anyone tried to install SplitFire into their X, or something similar? If so, how does the vehicle perform afterwards?
Is that one of those special spark plugs I see advertised on TNN?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why?

MDX-Hungry said:
Why are you considering replacement?

Does the performance of the double platinum factory plugs disappoint you?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: Why?

deltajetfixer said:

Why are you considering replacement?

Does the performance of the double platinum factory plugs disappoint you?
Quite honestly, I did not know that we had such plugs in our engines!
My X does seem to be a big sluggesh lately. I've tried different branded gas and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I am waiting on an order for a K&N air filter - hopefully this will make a slight improvement in acceleration and shifting.

Thanks for the info. :2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: Why?

MDX-Hungry said:

My X does seem to be a big sluggesh lately. I've tried different branded gas and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I am waiting on an order for a K&N air filter - hopefully this will make a slight improvement in acceleration and shifting.

I've got a K&N, my MDX is a bit 'looser' since I bought it, more due to break in than the K&N I bet. I have no complaints about the performance. That's a bit of weight to push around and it does just fine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Re: Why?

MDX-Hungry said:

How many miles do you have on your MDX?

I think that you need to treat the disease and not the symptoms . Your car didn't come with a K&N from the factory so it's unrealistic to think that adding one is going to fix your problem.

IF you don't want to take it to your Dealer Service Department to see if it might be a warranty item, I would check the following items in the following order:

1) Air Filter (replace it with a Genuine Acura one if you even THINK it's dirty)
2) Fuel Filter (you're out of luck here because it's in the tank)
3) Sparkplugs

You might also want to pour a bottle of Techron (fuel injection cleaner) or equivalent into the tank and see if driveability improves. You might not even need to consider step 3.

I've been a big fan of platinum plugs since I started driving back in 1980. Had a VW flat-four whose sparkplugs (number 3 in particular) were a B***H to get to! Bosch Platinums were a Godsend as I increased the change interval and gave my knuckles an opportunity to heal in-between tune-ups.

I would say that if you're up around 35-40,000 miles that you might want to consider pulling a plug and seeing what it looks like. DON'T attempt to clean the electrodes though as the welded-on platinum is easily scraped off. I'm guessing they're around $10 a piece from Tim.

Exotic alloy plugs (I think the fanciest ones out there now are billed as "Iridium-tipped") and synthetic lubricants are great BUT their excellent service life shouldn't be misinterpreted to mean, "I don't ever need to check/change 'em".

Again, I'd encourage you to try the above-mentioned suggestions but ONLY if your Dealer doesn't give you satisfaction.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
rblancojr said:
When should spark plus be changed...realistically?

Any special brand recommended?

:2:
I would do my timing belt and spark plugs at the 60,000-75,000 miles depending on your driving characteristics. Sooner if you drive very hard and later if you baby it all the time. I tend to over maintenance all the time. Better safe than sorry is my thinking. You can never over maintenance a vehicle, but you sure can under-maintenance.
IMHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts