Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2011 mdx with 89000 KMs. Would you change the spark plugs at this time?
If yes, what brand do you recommend?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Use only NGK... Spare any headache from using anything but NGK Spark Plugs on a Honda vehicle.
Now the MDX uses from the factory "NGK Laser Iridium" spark plugs for your specific MDX is part no: "ILZKR7B-11S" IIRC (Please double check).

They are very expensive.... but should last +100K (Miles) and 10 years easily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for for responding.
Maybe no point in changing spark plugs if they are supposed to last 100K miles (currently have 80,000 KMs).
Reason why I wanted to change the plugs is because I think I am not getting good mileage (have not had the vehicle for very long). The trip computer tells between 21L/100kms to 18L/100kms.
What would be causing this?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah the MDX is a gas hog if run it like you want to... My advise to economize is to keep RPM under 2K and watch SH-AWD usage (Avoid filling more than 3 squares of activity in the wheels). Remove any excess weight and well... Good luck… I am averaging 9mpg in the city or 30L/100km? according to the trip computer if run like I want to (VTEC KICK IN YO!). If driving super eco-friendly I can get between 16-17mpgs or 18-17L/100km? in the City in México which has super slow average speeds.. In the highway my absolute best has been 30mpgs or 9.5L/100km? but my Average is 24mpgs or 12L/100km?.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
88 Posts
Thank for for responding.
Maybe no point in changing spark plugs if they are supposed to last 100K miles (currently have 80,000 KMs).
Reason why I wanted to change the plugs is because I think I am not getting good mileage (have not had the vehicle for very long). The trip computer tells between 21L/100kms to 18L/100kms.
What would be causing this?
Do you actually believe any spark plug could last 100k miles? I doubt any spark plug could perform at 100% for even 10k miles and after changing mine with about 60k miles, I think I will be changing them every 20k. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. Even the air fuel and O2 sensors went bad at 60k.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Do you actually believe any spark plug could last 100k miles?
Iridium ones - yes. Even more than that. At least they did for me and many others with no issues at all.

I think I will be changing them every 20k.
It's your car, you can do whatever you want with it. But the manufacturer only suggests replacing them at 100K miles along with the timing belt.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Iridium ones - yes. Even more than that. At least they did for me and many others with no issues at all.

It's your car, you can do whatever you want with it. But the manufacturer only suggests replacing them at 100K miles along with the timing belt.
I replaced mine around 88k miles. I could tell there was a significant change in engine response. So next time I won't wait that long. 60k or 70k seems to be appropriate. This is similar to oil change. Jiff Lube tells people every 3k. Some car maker tells people 10k or 15k. I do it every 6k. Car makers have the incentive to exaggerate that their cars require very low maintenance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do you actually believe any spark plug could last 100k miles? I doubt any spark plug could perform at 100% for even 10k miles and after changing mine with about 60k miles, I think I will be changing them every 20k. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. Even the air fuel and O2 sensors went bad at 60k.
Whats wrong with the those plugs? They look normal for 60K miles; Like most component on an engine, they are a wear and tear item.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I replaced mine around 88k miles. I could tell there was a significant change in engine response.
See, for me there was no noticeable change. Perhaps you got bad plugs before?

Some car maker tells people 10k or 15k. I do it every 6k. Car makers have the incentive to exaggerate that their cars require very low maintenance.
Miles wise the maintenance minder tells the owner to change oil approximately within 3 to 5K miles depending on the engine rotations and hours, so you can't really blame Honda/Acura for undersestimating their vehicle's maintenance requirements.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Miles wise the maintenance minder tells the owner to change oil approximately within 3 to 5K miles depending on the engine rotations and hours, so you can't really blame Honda/Acura for undersestimating their vehicle's maintenance requirements.
My MM seems to be more like 7-9 K miles. 2012

·
Registered
962 Posts
Both my 2006 CRV and 2005 MDX had a smoother idle after replacing them at 70K miles. I am planning to do my 2014 MDX at 75K, because that's when I am doing a big Pre-Summer-trip maintenance including filters, front struts, and brake pads.

·
Registered
50 Posts

My MM seems to be more like 7-9 K miles. 2012

·
Registered
40 Posts
Changing the plugs is cheap insurance with any new (new to me) vehicle I buy.

It gives me an opportunity to see what condition the cylinders are in. Also, I usually uncover some numb-nut's poor maintenance or repairs along the way!

The Iridium plugs will last as long as they say. The benefit you get at pulling them early is a lesser opportunity for them to get seized in the heads. That can be a real problem. Similarly, loose plugs are frequently uncovered during the service - surprisingly this has been the root cause of poor performance and even head damage in many vehicles.

Finally, it is entirely common on transverse mounted V6's, like the MDX, to get short-changed on a tune-up. What happens is the owner pays good money for new sparkplugs and the rear ones against the firewall don't get replaced. The mechanic knows they are a pain in the a$$ to get to and the owner will never know, anyways. Happens all the time...

So, replace those plugs!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Those spark plugs are designed to last 100K... For normal use, You will eventually feel loss of power, loss of mpg and rough idling but they will continue to work regardless of that.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
88 Posts
Whats wrong with the those plugs? They look normal for 60K miles; Like most component on an engine, they are a wear and tear item.
Exactly my point, "they look normal for 60K miles" but with obvious signs of wear and tear and like I said, I seriously doubt the plugs will be firing like when they were brand new after 10,000 miles much less 100,000 miles. "What's wrong with the plug?" Look carefully at the electrode ground.
When something diminishes gradually over 10 years like power, the average person may not even notice the loss. When you push a vehicle to it's limit on a daily basis, you can feel when it's not running up to par. I had a all motor E36 M3 that could run bracket races doing 12.70's all night if you let the motor cool down enough between runs. If the car was still a little hot, I knew before picking up my time slip whether I ran a 12.70 or a 13.00
If iridiums could last 10 years or indefinitely and all they were worried about was the plug seizing in the head then why wouldn't they just recommend removing, applying antiseize and putting it back in?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
When something diminishes gradually over 10 years like power, the average person may not even notice the loss. When you push a vehicle to it's limit on a daily basis, you can feel when it's not running up to par.
Yeah, but when I put the new plugs back in 2014, I haven't felt any significant change. May be I will this year with another change (another 100K miles is still far away, but it's been five years, so time for that timing belt and such).

If iridiums could last 10 years or indefinitely and all they were worried about was the plug seizing in the head then why wouldn't they just recommend removing, applying antiseize and putting it back in?
I think 10 years would be a stretch. As for antiseize - no need to put it on Iridium plugs for MDX, because they are already factory coated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anti-seize can also lead to problems like over-torquing. It's much better to buy good, properly-plated plugs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts