Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Spare Tire Kit

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PDXsailor 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2022 MDX FWD tech and discovered it did not have a spare tire. The dealer never oriented us on this. Does anyone know where one can purchase the kit other than going to the dealer??
pedro8576

#2 ·
Welcome and congratulations!
I literally just went through this when I picked up my CPO 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid last week, so I feel for you! My dealer did not mention this either, and I pointed out in my inspection during pickup that the temporary spare and jack were missing. Instead of a spare tire and a jack, it came with an air compressor and a can of tire sealant that is supposedly adequate for 85% of all flat tires according to this Acura video:

Rather disappointing for a $50K+ vehicle!!

Anyway, the spare tire kit you are probably looking for is probably one of the 3 listed Part Numbers in these installation instructions. It comes with everything but the rubber tire. Unfortunately, I had difficulty finding this kit as it seems the temporary spare is going extinct:
Font Material property Circle Parallel Art

The ultimate solution for my needs, based on this door jamb sticker from a fellow owner here of an MDX equipped with the same 245/50R20 regular duty tires, and seating capacity as my vehicle,
Rectangle Font Auto part Publication Poster

was to purchase:
1) this T165/80D17 temporary spare tire and rim combo from Ebay SPARE TIRE 17" FITS: 2014 2015 2016 ACURA MDX | eBay
2) this 3-ton rated scissor jack from Amazon with a max height of 17" to match the height of the OEM jack. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QGR1DZY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
and
3) this Dorman 925-502 spare tire hoist assembly from Ebay Dorman 925-502 Spare Wheel Tire Hoist Assembly for 09-19 Honda Pilot Acura MDX | eBay

So for $273 I will end up with an OEM temporary spare (with spare tire hoist cable and a jack) that's compatible with my incoming Curt hitch receiver. And I'll have the air compressor and tire sealant as a backup to the temporary spare tire.

This is another option if I had wanted an OEM temporary spare with the OEM jack and tools:
but the jack I purchased on Amazon is rated for more weight and uses a ratcheting handle, which I feel is significantly easier to use than the two-piece hook and L-shaped lug wrench.

Your needs may vary, but I think this will get you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
Congrats and welcome to the family.

If you travel a lot, I suggest to get the full size spare. It cost a bit more, but you will be glad when you need it, specially when away and truck is fully loaded.

#5 ·
Right now, while your car is new, get on eBay and Amazon and you should be able to pick up a wheel that matches your OEM wheels, at a reasonable price. Some buyers pull off the OEM wheels and put on fancy custom wheels, and sell the OEM ones that they no longer need. I picked up a wheel with less than 100 miles on it for my spare.

Also, it is often possible to pick up an identical tire as well. My 2016 Base SH-AWD came with Michelin tires and I found a number of identical tires at the local Michelin dealer, for $100 and very low miles but one patch. Since I have yet to use the spare it has worked out very well...

You can buy the tire tools kit from any Acura dealer. For a much lower price check the online Acura parts sellers. I have used OEMAcuraParts.com (part of Peoria Acura) for many purchases and have been happy with their service and prices, but there are other Acura dealers online as well. You will need the tools and the lift mechanism used to pull the wheel up and hold it in place. Check what the tire tools kit includes first and then look for salvaged parts from a wrecking yard if saving that extra bit of money is important to you (I wouldn't bother with it for the small savings but we are all different).

If you want to do a perfect job then look for the new sticker for the door jamb that is for full-size spares.

I certainly agree with getting rid of the goo, but keep the compressor. Space-saving spares have severe limitations on their usage and just don't make sense to me. Get a proper full-size spare and you will be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.