Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sweet! is it a 21" and does it make all the sensors go wonky or can you use it with no issues?
Do you know if it will fit in the spare well underneath the rear?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is my conversation with Ginny from easyspare.com
Hi erouckus, your MDX tire size is Size 1 and our 175/70R20 recommended for your vehicle is Size 2. 2022 models cannot have more than a 5% variance in diameter on factory tire vs. spare tire. Yours is only a -1.3% variance, well below OEM standard requirements, you are in good shape with this spare. Just know it isn’t small, it is 29.6” in diameter and weighs 60 lbs.

I actually drove around that parking lot with the spare tire on and had no issues. The tire sensors did not register any difference between the spare and the regular tire. With my buddy's assistance, we crawled under the car and positioned the tire where it needed to be, and it does fit under the car.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Acura uses ball (rounded) lugs and a lot of aftermarket rims use tapered (straight/angled) lugs. Can't mix the lugs. I have to keep my ball lugs for my OEM donut spare in the trunk for my RLX with aftermarket rims that have tapered lugs.

Reactions: nsxtasy

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I keep a breaker bar, tq wrench, and non marring coated lug nut socket in my hatch (also gloves, flashlight, tire bag, hand wipes, 12v or battery air pump, electronic PSI gauge, & 6X8 tarp). I've needed one, some, or all in the last +35 years of driving (an having MTB bikes).

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Type S Advanced
43 Posts
Thanks for posting this good info. Does it fit over the front brake calipers? I've had other cars in the past that came without spares for that reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting this good info. Does it fit over the front brake calipers? I've had other cars in the past that came without spares for that reason.
Honestly, I haven't tried it on the front tire. You can give Ginny a call at ezspare.com. She seems to be highly knowledgeable

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I never really liked having a dount on the front axle for fwd bias vehicle. Just too much going on with acceleration, braking, extra weight up front, and steering/handling around turns. I've always felt a little better moving the donut to the rear if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never really liked having a dount on the front axle for fwd bias vehicle. Just too much going on with acceleration, braking, extra weight up front, and steering/handling around turns. I've always felt a little better moving the donut to the rear if possible.
I like your thinking...

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Type S Advanced
43 Posts
I agree, but I was thinking of what my wife could do on the side of the road in a pinch to get to a better place. Never in my 30 years of driving have I put more than 5 miles on a spare tire. So, I want to verify a donut will fit over the front brakes. The donut would also be easier for her to manage than a full size spare.

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, but I was thinking of what my wife could do on the side of the road in a pinch to get to a better place. Never in my 30 years of driving have I put more than 5 miles on a spare tire. So, I want to verify a donut will fit over the front brakes. The donut would also be easier for her to manage than a full-size spare.
It's not a donut. It's a full-sized tire that's not as wide as the other tires. Check out the side-by-side photo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts