Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only received one key with my 2014 as the owner had lost the other one, where can I get a Driver 2 key fob from? Other reputable places other than the dealer? Is is possible to program ourselves?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I only received one key with my 2014 as the owner had lost the other one, where can I get a Driver 2 key fob from? Other reputable places other than the dealer? Is is possible to program ourselves?

I recently bought a remote start kit and think I have an extra #2 fob (have to double check). Not sure what the used price is going for but let me know if you are interested. PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I recently bought a remote start kit and think I have an extra #2 fob (have to double check). Not sure what the used price is going for but let me know if you are interested. PM me.

yes. i ended up doing the same.

mine, too, came with only a driver 1 key.

so rather than spend the money on the FOB---actually, programming driver 2 might not need the dealer to program it if you have the driver 1 FOB in hand. (dont quote me on this).

anyway, i decided to buy the 2016's remote start (make sure you get that P/N) in order to have 2 FOBs in hand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yes. i ended up doing the same.

mine, too, came with only a driver 1 key.

so rather than spend the money on the FOB---actually, programming driver 2 might not need the dealer to program it if you have the driver 1 FOB in hand. (dont quote me on this).

anyway, i decided to buy the 2016's remote start (make sure you get that P/N) in order to have 2 FOBs in hand.
So this seems like a great option...is it difficult to program the keys and install the unit?

·
Registered
394 Posts
So this seems like a great option...is it difficult to program the keys and install the unit?
only the dealer can program the new FOB that came with the remote start.

you'll save money on the remote start itself ordering from ebay and save on the labor cost when you do the installation yourself.

you will need to bring your existing driver 1 FOB to the dealer so they can program the new remote starter FOB.

The dealer i went to charged me $125.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ok so I ordered 38015-TZ5-A30. This has two key fobs, but does it also have 2 key blanks or do I need to get an extra one?
you mean the physical key itself? no. theyre just blanks.

pull the physical key from your current FOB and put it on the new remote starter FOB.

there's a small change youll ever need to use the physical key.

if you want another physical key. youll have to buy one on ebay and bring that to the dealer to have it cut. doing it this way will cost you even more money.

i only have one physical key attached to the driver one remote start FOB. the driver 2 remote start FOB does not have one. the car starts without issue.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You do not have to go to the dealer to get keys cut or fobs programmed. The physical keys are high security and require a special machine to cut; your local hardware store probably can't do it but many larger locksmiths can. I paid $40 recently to have a key cut at a locksmith, using my key as a pattern. The dealer charges a bit more, but can also cut a key without having an original. I asked about replacing the fob and they said they could do it for about $250 with programming, which again is a bit less than the dealer. You can buy fobs on eBay for a little under $100, but the programming will put the total over $200.

·
Registered
672 Posts
BTW the idea of the physical key is to get you into the car when the battery in the fob is dead. Supposedly there will be enough left in the battery to start the car with the fob against the start button, but I think that is a bad bet - keep a spare fob battery in the car just in case.

Another approach is to hide the physical key somewhere under the car with a magnetic holder, and the spare fob with battery removed somewhere inside the car. That way when the fob stops working (like when you take it swimming with you :) ) you will have an alternative way to get home without paying for an expensive tow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use it or lose it! One day, when I needed to use the physical key, it just wouldn't work -- it seemed like I had the wrong key.

Use the key to lock and unlock each door once a year, otherwise, the key may not work when you need it. The locks will gradually "freeze up" from lack of movement of the pins and drying of the lubricant. This happened to my car after several years of only using the key fob to open the doors. Fortunately, I was at home when I discovered this, so a little Marvel Mystery Oil saved the day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I purchased a 2015 Advanced TLX and they only give one remote start key with the car and if you want another one you have to buy it. I think that pretty much sucks with a car this price. Guess what, they don't care though.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I purchased a 2015 Advanced TLX and they only give one remote start key with the car and if you want another one you have to buy it. I think that pretty much sucks with a car this price. Guess what, they don't care though.
You should check what certified means for Acura. If it is certified. I bought a certified VW. The dealer only had 1 key. I made the dealer get another key because it was part of the certification that there be 2 keys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts