Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

South West

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  TYP 
#1 ·
Let's hear it for a South West location

#2 ·
Southwest- IMHO would mean Tx, Ok, La, Ark, and NM.

Did somebody say ROADTRIP!:D

next question- when and where?

Austin and Tx. Hill country is a great place. Specially in the hot Tx. summer, we could go tubing in New Braunfels. or how about a getting together in the national parks in OK, or ARk. The only problem with Ark, or Ok is that the NM members might not want to drive that far.

Heck, we could keep it simple. Meet at tyler state Park(its in the navi). Its somewhat central, easy to get to(off I-20),their are plenty of biking, some wooded walking trails. plus. their is a large pond to go canoeing in!! but, i still prefer the austin idea.

#3 ·
Hmmm, this idea has been floated before with a, best case, tepid response.

Texrb has posited the idea of a road rallye in Dallas, but that, too, has been met most frequently with a Huh?

I like the idea of a weekend deal......drive somewhere (hill, tyler) on a Friday, then back on a Sunday. Minor offroading thrown in.....just to say we know how to kick in the VTM?

;)

#4 ·
i guess the location will depend on who is coming. i.e. if just 4 people are going to come then why not do Austin or Tyler, and keep it simple wknd or heck 1 and half day event.

if its austin: we could all drive together fri night, go somewhere nice to dinner, and start the fun early on sat. possibly go to enchanted rock- great drive, and some hiking. or go to the lake, or go tubing.

if its tyler: we could get together sat am at the park. have fun until afternoon(including some off-roading), and finally, cleanup and go to a nice place for dinner.

what do u all think?

#5 ·
Well, I think us more Northern people up here in COLORADO, will have to hold our own. Not to complain, but Texas is a loooongggg way for most. Where is Katy, TX? Austin is prob. about a 8-10 hour drive. I'll have to see if everyone wants to drive up the Pikes Peak hiway! That's more on top of the country! I'd love buffalo wings, but buffalo is WAY to far! Besides, you can get great wings right here in C/S! We'll have to wait to hear from more CO. people!:D

#6 ·
Dallas would be good

But I could live with a New Mexico site as well. Attendance by each and every one of us will be driven in large part by location.

#7 ·
why not classify it by state. texans could plan out where to meet. although, even out here in texas i think we still need to break it down into three major cities like houston, dallas, and san antonio. what do you guys think??

#8 ·
dromayn said:
why not classify it by state. texans could plan out where to meet. although, even out here in texas i think we still need to break it down into three major cities like houston, dallas, and san antonio. what do you guys think??
Personally, I would prefer we meet in a central location. I don't think our MDX family is large enuff to support city meets. besides, the whole purpose of having a roadtrip is to enjoy the 'X. I think the location is dependant on the who is coming, and also on when we are doing the meet. Austin is a good idea(IMHO) b/c it is short drive, and there are plenty of outdoor activities. No offense, but 4 MDX's meeting on the corner of 59 and bellaire is not my definition of a meet.

#9 ·
"No offense, but 4 MDX's meeting on the corner of 59 and bellaire is not my definition of a meet."

I can swear that an average of 6 to 8 sitings a day here around Plano and Richardson area in Dallas. If we'll cover Dallas and Fort Worth for sure there are more X's out there. I think it would be good enough for a meet. I agree to your idea and Austin is a great area to meet up too.

#10 ·
I thought that 59 and Bellaire was ...

... in Houston;) At least it was last time I was at that intersection.:rolleyes:

For a weekend event (where no one has to take vacation time) a central location offering the most people a short drive is the best I would guess.

For any weekday event (requiring some vacation time) the location will more than likely require some regionally recognized "tourist" attraction, in other words something else to do to justify the trip with time off.

#11 ·
Octavian was right with the "tepid" response I had for people to meet. Hey maybe if we met at one of the malls in Dallas.........:D :D

Seriously..... Austin or Tyler would be fine with me. There are plenty of people on this site from DFW area that could meet and form a "convoy".....(geez I think I just heard the "duck" say "calling all trucks"........)

#12 ·
Lake Texoma! We can stay overnight at Eisenhower State Park. I'll bring my boat. The park has marina, a beach, and a special camping area for groups. Think they have cabins, too, for you anti-tent types.

If only the MDX could sprout a partial tent like the Pontiac Aztec... :D

#13 ·
jediwebdube= COOL NAME:cool:

I luv Lake Texoma- u can spend days on that lake. I would be happy with that location too. I guess this is becoming a Tx. only meet. (Come on- I know there are people from LA, OK, ARK, and NM who are lurking on this site)

If this becomes a Tx. meet then i was thinking Austin would be central location for SA, Houston, Austin, and Dallas people. besides, it is IMHO its the BEST city in Tx. Tyler is perfectly fine with me:D i'm sure most of you guys haven't seen the beauty of East Tx. would be a fun roadtrip. besides a close friend of my is having a HUGE party on his lake house on 2nd or 3rd wknd on June. Its BYOB, but their is plenty of live music, BBQ, fireworks show, boat for skiing, tubing-----COULD BE ALOT OF FUN! I will find out if its ok for me to invite a few close friends;)

#15 ·
Texas it is!!

My wife and I are from Memphis originally and do the Hwy 59 thing several times a year - very familiar with East Texas.

Big Bend State Park would make for a gteat photo shoot:cool:
As well as Guadalupe Mountains in west Texas:p
As would the Gulf of Mexico off South Padre Island;)

As would ...

#16 ·
I like Austin and Tyler. Both towns have a lot of things to do and good roads to try. Austin has more variety in terrain (serious hills, streams, etc.). Our daughter and her family live in Waco, so Austin was the first road trip we took in our MDX.

County Line BBQ in Austin is on a great road for testing the handling of the MDX. It is paved but very twisty with a lot of elevation change.

In any case, we will come to anywhere in Texas, and, if we have it in New Mexico, we'll plan a vacation around the meet. (Chaco Canyon would be a good place to go. You can't get there without a 4-wheel drive!)

- Conrad

#17 ·
it seems like everybody is ok with austin or tyler.

I think austin would be more fun, but if no one from austin is our "host", then it will make it a little bit more difficult to set up plans.

If we are set on tyler, i will make some recs regarding our schedule of events.

Next question - When? and is it doing to be a wknd thing or is it a saturday thing. Heck if Conrad is going to drive from the east, we should make it worth his while.

i will get back with u guys about the lake party- it is usually 2nd wknd of june.

#18 ·
I am mostly just posting this to subscribe to this thread....

I go to car meets all the time. There are clubs for each of my cars and this year I have plans to go to:

Riviera event in Klamath Falls, OR in June
Pontiac event in Yellowstone in Sept
Mopar event in Grand Junction, CO in July
Syclone event in Reno/Tahoe, NV in August

These things are great fun, but the most successful ones are in places where there are things to do to attract the whole family and not just the car owner.

How about the Grand Canyon? Or Zions National Park? Or Sedona, AZ? All of you alien-encounter people-and I know you are out there- would really enjoy that one.....

#20 ·
We are going to be in the Tyler/Waco/Austin area the last week of May. However, that is pretty quick to get anything organized. If you have it later in the summer, we will be glad to come back. (We just had a new grandson in Waco, so we will come over for any excuse:D )
- Conrad

#21 ·
Grand Canyon ...

... would be a lot of fun:cool: but kind of a far drive:(

#23 ·
o.k. it seems like we all just goofing around here(not that there is anything wrong with that).

why don't we pick a date 1st, and then pick on location. I figure, once we know who is coming we can "centralize" the location.

#24 ·
Well its been over 30 days ...

... and my browser is set to view the last 30 days only:rolleyes:

I'll move this back to the top and try to generate some interest.

#25 ·
VEGAS!

HI..

One more vote for Vegas..

Cause after all.. we wanna have fun after the fun of driving right?

Would be fun to raid Vegas' street with all MDX's

Maybe we can even make a deal on the hotels!

TYP ^___^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.