Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the past few days putting accessories on my 'X. Many of those goodies -- the body side moldings are a good example -- come with a double-sided acrylic foam tape made by 3M specifically for adhering onto car finishes.

I have a special item* I want to permanently attach to my 'X. More specifically, I want to attach it centered on the vertical surface of the bumper below the license plate and above the gray skid garnish.

According to the 3M web site, I need two items to do this:
Scotch-Mount Double-Coated Acrylic Foam Tape, #063097
3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter, #063096

If memory serves, several folks have mentioned the Promoter in the context of installing aftermarket wood trim. But I believe their promoter packets came with their trim products.

I just want to buy the tape and promoter. Does anyone know a supplier who will sell me this stuff???

--Marne

*Pictures of the 'special item' will appear soon...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found!

After seeing that this message had been viewed 30 times without a reply, I figured that I had better redouble my research if I ever wanted to get this stuff. Using Google, I found one (only) internet site which sold the 3M mounting tape -- Auto Body Supply. But they didn't sell the promoter. So I decided to try the local retail route.

After calling a slew of auto parts stores and getting only confused silence when I asked about 3M mounting tape, I finally got one useful lead. A truck accessory store said that they didn't sell the tape, but they knew where to buy it -- at Hawley's paint store in Santa Rosa. I called there, and the guy who answered the phone immediately knew what I was asking for, and said that had had both the tape and the promoter in stock. I blazed on over...

It turns out that Hawley's isn't your garden-variety paint store. It specializes in suppling professional painters of non-buildings. For example, they had lots of materials for painting metal objects -- farm equipment, fences, machinery and, of course, cars.

I paid $20 for a 1/2" x 20yd roll of 06382 tape (40mil versus the 60mil of the #06397). I paid $17.50 for a box of 25 adhesion promoter packets, although I could have purchased the packets individually.

You can see what I did with this tape in my gallery thread.

--Marne

1 - 2 of 2 Posts