Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a new 'X owner, I have been contemplating upgrading the Bose system with aftermarket speakers. After reviewing the numerous threads on this topic it seems that the best options when considering cost and installation are the Soundstream SPL65g or Polk Audio Dx6. The key for me is maintaining stock look while improving audio quality w/out changing Bose head unit or amps. With that said, how do these 2 compare, what are the pros & cons for each, and which would be the best choice for a potential do-it-yourself project ?

Would love to hear from ...Bruce and Mushman on this . . . :cool: :rolleyes: :4:

·
Registered
738 Posts
socalJD said:

Would love to hear from ...Bruce and Mushman on this . . . :cool: :rolleyes: :4:
Sorry.
Too burnt out. Too many PM responses since I changed my control panel to allow them. Too many long posts.

My wife is not very techno savy, and now refers to this group which I "waste" all my time with as a "support group." I need to get a life, take the MDX somewhere, trailrunning or mountain biking.

Anyhow, suffice it to say, I'm not a co-axial fan from any manufacturer, 4 ohm, 2ohm, or 3ohm (yeah, Bose has used 3 ohmers as well, weird). At least with the Dx6 you can use an external passive crossover to help tailor your freqs, but I prefer components because . . . No you don't, I'm not getting into it again. Search keywords Soundstream, ohm, Infinity, and Bose, or search by poster, Mushman or myself. I apologize for the bad timing, hopefully others can contribute their opinions.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need to apologize, I got the message. Was not looking for you to regurgitate details, just some insight or opinion. I tend to get a lil' obsessive and want to research the hell outta something before I make the move. I know I have to do my own due diligence, but was looking for that encouraging push in the back to take the plunge . . . But since this thread got over 50 hits in less than 24 hours, it seems others are as curious as me . . .

Stay Frosty Bruce, and definitely keep the other half happy ! . . . :rolleyes: ;) :p

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yup, this is a constant topic. I must admit that I too have vasilated considerably between doing a simple door speaker upgrade and a full speaker upgrade with an amp. As of this time, I have done nothing. While the overwhelming feeling I have gathered from the posts of forum members that have done such an door speaker upgrade is that they have been satisfied with the results. This is, however, in very stark contrast from every "expert" I have read and or consulted, who have told me that such an upgrade is a waste of money. This advise comes from some of the seemingly more "expert" audiophiles here as well as several installation shops I have visited.
Having now lived with the Bose system now for 3 months, and had an opportunity to compare it to other vehicles, I have decided (at least for now) that it is not worth it to me to "fiddle" with it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The shops are not unbiased!!!

Maik said:
...simple door speaker upgrade and a full speaker upgrade with an amp. As of this time, I have done nothing. While the overwhelming feeling I have gathered from the posts of forum members that have done such an door speaker upgrade is that they have been satisfied with the results. This is, however, in very stark contrast from every "expert" I have read and or consulted, who have told me that such an upgrade is a waste of money. This advise comes from some of the seemingly more "expert" audiophiles here as well as several installation shops I have visited.
Having now lived with the Bose system now for 3 months, and had an opportunity to compare it to other vehicles, I have decided (at least for now) that it is not worth it to me to "fiddle" with it.
I don't think anyone here (including bruce) thinks the swtich from the Bose cones to even the $79 coaxials is a waste. You will ABSOLUTELY hear an improvement!
THe question REALLY is do you want a) the bother of JUST swapping out low grade crummy Bose mid/woof for coaxial full range speakers OR b) swap out the crummy Bose for a better matched component set-up OR c) swap out the speakers and upgrade the amps too.

It has been said here BY LOTS & LOTS of folkswe attest that option A is cheap easy & NOTICEABLY better.!

You can get philosophical, and decide that "although better it is not yet SUPREME BLISS, and some would argue (again on PHILOSOPHY) that as the factory system is 'component syle' one ought to be TRUE to the DESIGN intent and use COMPONENT style speakers for upgrade" but that doesn't change the fact that it is STILL AN AUDIBLE UPGRADE TO PUT IN THE COAX UNITS!!

If you are stuck on the philosophical dilema of the component thingy consider you CAN get the NON-COAXIAL system version for $165 http://carstereotime.com/soundstream/spl60g.html This ought to be at least as NOTICEABLE AN UPGRADE as the $79 jobbies, take SLIGHTLY more work to install, BUT still be a GREAT IMPEDANCE match for the Bose head unit! PLUS you can consider these a "stepping stone" to even higher power systems with external amps, as you get a crossover and much increased power handling. Of course, nobody said Soundstream was the LIVING END, but it makes the OPTION B VERY, VERY ATTRACTIVE!!

As for option C, I would argue that (unless you OWN A CAR STEREO SHOP) this is going to have the LEAST bang for your buck. You will end spending at least $300 for amp(s), figure to spend the $165 for the FRONTS as above. Figure at least $80 for the rear seat speakers. Then you have the su to deal with. There's the 'whizzer/tywiddler' in back too. Now you might want to redesign that whole layout...Heck, you want DVD video too, don't cha?? It would be REAL HARD to leave a good shop with having dropped a FEW GRAND.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I Love Polk

Greetings,

I haven't used OSund Stream components in ages. I used to love their amps.

WHen I looked into speakers I did a lot of research and spoke to a lot of shops. Many of them loved Polk stuff but not all were distributors.

I use Polk speakers in my hme theater and have some of their tweeters in my Subaru.

I have always been happy with them and decided to stick with them once gaain. I installed the dx6's int he front and what a world of difference. The bass response from them is even more then what I expected while the highs are also fantastic and complement the MDX's tweeters.

The GNX10 subwoofer is great. Originally installed the 4 ohm but changed to the 2 ohm. Although I was very satisfied with the 4 ohm, the 2 ohm just puts out more volume.

I really think you would love the Polks. I wasn't crazy about their new line (think they are cheaper) and decided to stick with the dx series.

Polk also has a fantastic customer support crew who actually get back to you in a very good timely manner.

Final decision is yours, but I would highly recommend the Polks.

Best of luck and keep me informed.

Mush

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2ohm sub

Mushman said:

The GNX10 subwoofer is great. Originally installed the 4 ohm but changed to the 2 ohm. Although I was very satisfied with the 4 ohm, the 2 ohm just puts out more volume.
Mushman,

Where did you get the 2ohm GNX subs and how much ? I searched the net and can't find 'em. Seems like they are pushing a new GNX-DVC sub now. Would rather go with the 2ohm sub if it's more efficient than the 4ohm.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Polk Sub

My apologies. It is the DVC which stands for Dual Voice Coil.

This sub can be wired up for 2, 4, or 8 ohm and is just awesome.

Wire it up for 2 ohms and it will sound great. I actually had a friend of a friend who works at Polk and they sent me the sub for $45 shipped. That deal was too good to pass up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: The shops are not unbiased!!!

renov8r said:

I don't think anyone here (including bruce) thinks the swtich from the Bose cones to even the $79 coaxials is a waste. You will ABSOLUTELY hear an improvement!
THe question REALLY is do you want a) the bother of JUST swapping out low grade crummy Bose mid/woof for coaxial full range speakers OR b) swap out the crummy Bose for a better matched component set-up OR c) swap out the speakers and upgrade the amps too.

It has been said here BY LOTS & LOTS of folkswe attest that option A is cheap easy & NOTICEABLY better.!

You can get philosophical, and decide that "although better it is not yet SUPREME BLISS, and some would argue (again on PHILOSOPHY) that as the factory system is 'component syle' one ought to be TRUE to the DESIGN intent and use COMPONENT style speakers for upgrade" but that doesn't change the fact that it is STILL AN AUDIBLE UPGRADE TO PUT IN THE COAX UNITS!!

If you are stuck on the philosophical dilema of the component thingy consider you CAN get the NON-COAXIAL system version for $165 http://carstereotime.com/soundstream/spl60g.html This ought to be at least as NOTICEABLE AN UPGRADE as the $79 jobbies, take SLIGHTLY more work to install, BUT still be a GREAT IMPEDANCE match for the Bose head unit! PLUS you can consider these a "stepping stone" to even higher power systems with external amps, as you get a crossover and much increased power handling. Of course, nobody said Soundstream was the LIVING END, but it makes the OPTION B VERY, VERY ATTRACTIVE!!

As for option C, I would argue that (unless you OWN A CAR STEREO SHOP) this is going to have the LEAST bang for your buck. You will end spending at least $300 for amp(s), figure to spend the $165 for the FRONTS as above. Figure at least $80 for the rear seat speakers. Then you have the su to deal with. There's the 'whizzer/tywiddler' in back too. Now you might want to redesign that whole layout...Heck, you want DVD video too, don't cha?? It would be REAL HARD to leave a good shop with having dropped a FEW GRAND.
Renov8r, EXCELLENT explanation. Everything I would've said, and without having to type a single word. Thumbs UP !:5:
The Bruce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts