Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, have an 07 mdx tech package with 145k miles. Starting about a year ago, I noticed what sounds like rocks shaking around in a tin can, coming from under hood, on passenger side. It was quiet and only occurred when I put the “pedal to the metal” in order to accelerate rapidly when merging onto a highway, etc. Now it is louder and I’m worried it’s something serious. The noise ONLY occurs with hard acceleration, goes away once I’m at a coasting speed. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Catalytic converter heat shields come to mind. They can make quite a rattle. Sounds horrible, but completely harmless. One solution is to wrap a couple big hose clamps around it and cinch them down. Another is to cut the things off. Replacing them is a PITA.

But if the noise is way over on the passenger side, another possibility is that the hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt has gone bad. That's not harmless.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Is it coming from the engine? Or something else?

If you’re using cheap gas or octane lower than 91 then I suggest using the recommended 91+ for a couple tanks and see if it changes.

Engine knocking is sometimes described as marbles/rocks in a can.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
...or rod knock... X_x.. would need to drop the pan to check the bearings though

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts