Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all "x" fans.

After having the "X" for about 1 month - I have come to realize that the BOSE system is very poorly designed for a SUV such as the MDX. My Jeep grand cherokee sounded better! Nevetheless, I would like to upgrade my speakers and subwoofer with Boston Acoustics stuff if possible. Does anyone have any recommendation on what specs I should look for?

Are the front and the rear door speakers the same size? 6 1/2"

and the sub 10"? will any sub work?

I have searched the threads but not easy to get all the answers.

any thoughts - will be greatly appreciated to your "X" fan.

Thanks,
funsuv...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Boston Speakers

FUNSUV,

Yes, Boston speakers will fit in the MDX. I have their largest 6" in the doors - the Z6. The installer had no problem with fit, although the crossovers had to be placed elsewhere. I have the Pro Series 10.5LF sub in the factory sub area in a custom mafe fiberglass box.
These particular speakers all need aftermarket amps. The 6" Pro Series door speakers require less power, but I'm not certain if the factory amps can drive them.

Good luck. The Boston's have an incredible and acccurate sound reproduction in the MDX.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am slowly gathering my equipment list. My plans are JL audio components in the front and rear, JL Audio 10 " sub, JL 2 and 4 channel amps, Pioneer navigation, 6.5 inch indash screen, XM radio, TV tuner, headrest tv, DVD changer, Video switcher and more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with the above. Your best bet (if you can swing the cash) is to go with a nice "audiophile" system if you're not happy with the BOSE. I would recommend taking a listen to (3) brands in particular:

#1) a/d/s - true and very acurate musical reproduction
#2) JL Audio - hands down best sub out there
#3) Infinity - has a nice sound (not as true as a/d/s, but less $)

Others to consider:
#1) MB Quart (German company, nice product)
#2) Boston Acoustics (originally an a/d/s copycat, but they've come up to speed, also less $)

my $.02

·
Registered
52 Posts
Replacement Speakers for the Bose System

I too am looking to upgrade the Bose System speakers. I listen to Classical and Contemporary music and want accuracy-I don't need Thump, Thump Bass, but want Bass instruments to sound true. I think the sound is distant and doesn't have much presence, while the subwoofer only makes rude noises out of Cello and Bass solos. Whose speakers are bolt-ins to replace the OEM Bose speakers?:1:

·
Registered
26 Posts
What you're describing is the true essence of a/d/s. Very accurate, very true. If you're not looking for thump, I would suggest going with the smaller a/d/s 10" subs or even a small 8" JL Audio sub. They're very tight & responsive. For classical and contemporary, there is no rival. They are a little $ - but are certainly worth it. Do yourself a favor and find a local dealer that will let you listen to them. They can definately drop into the X without major modification while retaining the stock appearance.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Replacement Speakers for the Bose System

lightglass said:
I too am looking to upgrade the Bose System speakers. I listen to Classical and Contemporary music and want accuracy-I don't need Thump, Thump Bass, but want Bass instruments to sound true. I think the sound is distant and doesn't have much presence, while the subwoofer only makes rude noises out of Cello and Bass solos. Whose speakers are bolt-ins to replace the OEM Bose speakers?:1:
The Infinitys seem to be a favorite 'cheap solution'. And a Polk or equivalent for the sub. I added a 150 Hz filter so it only reproduces bass.
There are tons of threads on the topic. Some feel such changes are not complete solutions, and want new amps too. Of course, that's a personal decision.
For me the speaker changeout is sufficient. I used Bostons in the front doors.
Another way to look at it is changing out just the drivers does not only make some improvement, but also serves to demonstrate how inferior are the original speakers.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Boston Speakers

R Stevens said:
FUNSUV,

Yes, Boston speakers will fit in the MDX. The 6" Pro Series door speakers require less power, but I'm not certain if the factory amps can drive them.
Barely.

10 watts 4 ohm (down from 20 watts 2ohm, estimated) doesn't do much. Once I pushed 125 through each motor, I was smiling ear to ear.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
FUNSUV,

If you are going with Boston Acoustic spearkers, you will definitely need to add some aftermarket amplifiers. As TheyCallMeBruce posted, the Bose amps @ 4 ohms just do not cut it. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
EXCALIBUR said:
FUNSUV,

If you are going with Boston Acoustic spearkers, you will definitely need to add some aftermarket amplifiers. As TheyCallMeBruce posted, the Bose amps @ 4 ohms just do not cut it. Good luck.:)
I am using the BA FX6's up front and they work just great. Notable improvement over the Infinitys.
These are coaxial not components, that's not to say that more power is not recommended.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
DaleB,

In my MDX, I am running BA Pro 6.5's (separates) in front and BA NX67's (coaxials) in the rear. My subwoofer box in the third row seating area has 2 BA Pro1054's, powered by a RF G15002 amp. Initially, my goal was to use the Bose amps to power the front and rear speakers. @ 4 ohms, the Bose amps barely drove the BA's. I added a RF 550X four channel amp, and now life is good. As you know, car audio is very subjective and highly personal. You are only limited by your creativity and budget. YMMV. It is always nice to exchange ideas and tips on the forum.:D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
EXCALIBUR said:
DaleB,

In my MDX, I am running BA Pro 6.5's (separates) in front and BA NX67's (coaxials) in the rear. My subwoofer box in the third row seating area has 2 BA Pro1054's, powered by a RF G15002 amp. Initially, my goal was to use the Bose amps to power the front and rear speakers. @ 4 ohms, the Bose amps barely drove the BA's. I added a RF 550X four channel amp, and now life is good. As you know, car audio is very subjective and highly personal. You are only limited by your creativity and budget. YMMV. It is always nice to exchange ideas and tips on the forum.:D
That sounds (pun intended) like a nice system. Ultimately I may upgrade in the future, and components and amps would be the rule.

·
Registered
738 Posts
inky said:
:eek: Hey you experts. Which wire is positive to the subwoofer?
Which year? And Bose or non-B?

In the '01 the Bose pos. sub terminal are two dominant BLU wires (NOT the wires with WHT and ORN wires with the BLU stripe).

In the non-Bose, its a single WHT/GRN wire.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. You don't automatically hook up subs to standard pos/neg orientation. Phasing is determined by frequency and distance. An 80 Hz freq wave is about 6 feet long and will hit your ears at the exact opposite freq cycle as higher freqs coming from your front speakers, cancelling out the over-lapping freqs. Proper speaker polarity is detemined by maximum bass impact by testing with a sound pressure level meter. Hook it up one way and test, then reverse the sub polarity and test again, with the volume knob set to the same level. I guarantee that if your cross-overs and/or filters are set up right, you will see a measurable difference. Use the "louder" polarity configuration. For this reason, almost all quality sub amps have a 180 deg phase switch for easy testing and setting.
If you don't have access to a spl meter, just hook it up, listen and hook it up in reverse. If you can't tell a difference, then it wouldn't matter, right?

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
DaleB said:

That sounds (pun intended) like a nice system. Ultimately I may upgrade in the future, and components and amps would be the rule.
Thanks DaleB. My system fulfilled my design and budget goals. I like the way it sounds. It makes the driving experience in my MDX that much more enjoyble. BTW, I listen to mostly two types of music in my MDX: Country and Western.:2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bought the Infinity's

Feeling a bit tapped out, and more that a bit gypped by the Bose system-the local Ultimate Electronics had the Infinity speakers on sale, so I bought 4 of 'em to put in. They offer a 30-day return, so if I am still not happy- I will try the Bostons in the front position. If that still isn't enough-then its time to replace the sub with the A/D/C unit. I feel I'm preparing the MDX for the Acura XM unit, as well as my CD collection.

On another note-I have to say I'm encouraged on how much you guys love your MDX's. After being burned by the Mercedes ML, its almost like coming out of a bad divorce or something. I'm waiting to be disappointed, but instead keep finding the ways the MDX is superior to the ML. One thing is the throttle response is almost immediate. With the ML, you would stomp the pedal and it would wait to a count of 2 before downshifting and accelerating-downright dangerous! But, the factory considered it normal and would not correct it. If the stereo system is my only gripe- I don't really have a problem!:1:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mercedes should be ashamed to put their name on that ML! :mad: Did you have the ML320? The smaller the engine, the worse the response is off the line, i.e. ML320 = 3.2L, ML430 = 4.3L, ML500 = 5.0L. It's a function of the "traction control" system on both Mercedes and BMW (cars I know of). You slam on the "Drive by Wire" pedal, and it takes the car a few seconds "to think about" whether it can accomplish the task - kind of annoying. It worked the same on my 2000 BMW 528i. A solution is to turn off the traction control by the button, but that gets old. I know a few people have posted on other boards how to permanently disable it and make the button turn it "on" instead of "off"....kinda defeats the purpose. Have fun with your MDX - total 180 from the ML.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
lightglass,

The MDX is a great vehicle for car audio. Speakers are the first place to start when upgrading your system. Almost any aftermarket speaker will be an improvement over the Bose speakers. Let your ears and personal tastes be your guide. Look at adding more amplification next, if you feel you need more punch. Remember, the Bose system drives @ 2 ohms. Most aftermarket speakers run @4 ohms. This means you will hear a drop in volume when adding most aftermarket speakers while still using the Bose amps. Finally, evaluate the head unit. I personally felt it was adequate. My goal was to keep my MDX looking OEM. Have courage and keep the faith. You may be coming off a bitter divorce with your ML, but you have now found a better marriage with the MDX. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Infinity's Installed!

:DRobknecht- I had an ML320. Actually 2 of them. The '99 was in the shop so much, Mercedes gave me $7K plus terminated my lease early and moved me into a 2000. It had fewer problems-still not worth keeping.
I installed the Infinity 652i speakers in both the front and rear doors today. It was very simple in the fronts and by using the adapter rings that come with the speakers, was only marginally harder installing the rears. I used Dynamat Extreme on the door panels (bought the big kit for only 5 bucks more than the two little square foot patches they sell). I also used the 72-7800 speaker plug adapters (bought at Best Buy) so I wouldn't have to cut wires. Bottom line? The sound is indeed greatly improved. The music is now in the car, not trapped in the doors. Highs are crisp and bright without being harsh. This is the way it should have sounded in the first place. Could it be better? Sure. But it sounds like the next step in sound improvement will be almost a kilobuck for amps, speaker upgrades and subwoofer area improvements. Money I can't spare right now. This is very much worth the $170 in for everything!:1:
Thanks to all for your advice and help.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts