Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing how Acura has reduced road noise in the new 2002 MDX.

I own a 2001 MDX and was interested in the Dynamat Sound Control material featured on www.dynamat.com

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used the Dynamat Sound Material for a stereo upgrade. I am even more intrigued at the idea of significant sound dampening throughout the vehicle.

Has anyone out there in www.acuramdx.org land considered this, or even better, actually installed this (or any other) sound dampening material?

Their website shows how well sound dampening material can work in doors, the roof, floor, rear cargo areas and the trunk. They can even spray foam into wheel wheels and hard to get areas of any vehicle.

Cost is a concern, as well as any problems that could come as a result of installation. This could be something such as electric windows, wiring throughout the MDX, heat, and access to maintenance areas in the doors and paneling throughout the SUV.

Any help/suggestions/advice/experience you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mark....

I used Dynamat when I upgraded the door speakers in my 2002 MDX. Basically, because everyone recommended doing so. It's very easy to use. As far as the speaker upgrade, I wouldn't say that it did much for 'deadening' sound. I think that it basically gave me a mounting surface that would be rattle-free. It's essentially like a thin layer of tar that you stick to a surface and use a small roller to make sure that is adheres properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dynamat for Stereo Speakers

Charlieinnj: Thanks for the explanation. I've done some surfing around this site, and it seems that everyone recommends Dynamat for any stereo speaker upgrade.

Your explanation makes the most sense. While it doesn't really seem to provide a great deal of dB sound reduction, it does "seal up" that area. It seems logicial that Dynamat would be most helpful in eliminating/minimizing rattling and insures a tight fit of the speaker into the door/speaker bracket.

This site is really helpful. After digging around, I've read recommendations for 3 different sets of door speakers, a couple of sub-woofers, and some really practical suggestions to problems that might arise such as the 2 ohm/4 ohm sub woofer dilemma. Seems that a separate amp for the sub-woofer is a very good way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thin Seal of Caulking

DaleB: Thanks. Not a bad idea. The best description you gave would be a "thin seal of caulking"....it would insure a tighter air seal for sure....not sure I would want too much.....a little goes a long way.

Dynamat seems to be a great way to make some subtle improvements to the overall sound of a speaker upgrade.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The use discussed above is correct for mounting speakers, but dynamat is also a very good sound insulator. Nor sure how cost effective it is to cover an entire car with it, but it would certainly lower the sound level.

Dynamat is similar to some of the sound proofing I've seen in upper end cars....just thicker. To so the job, the inetrior would need major disassembly, and you might get rattles when it goes togather

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aftermarket "Rattles"

Mcclendons: I believe you will be right. I am sure that it would be quite cost prohibitive. And, I wouldn't be thrilled to create more rattles by installing something that is supposed to reduce noise. How ironic would that be?

But, I would imagine using Dynamat in a stereo upgrade, and in some of the more "accessible panels" such as the doors and rear paneling might be a good idea.

They have a foam spray for the undercarriage and wheel wells. If the costs don't get astronomical, those might be considerations.

Guess its time to make a trip to a local Dynamat dealership and hear "the sales pitch."

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
when i did my audio system upgrade i had dynamatted everything inside the x' even the floors. there are different models for different applications. as for the doors use dynamat extreme. it will surely improve the attenuation of noise you hear from your x' before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I personally applied a "ton" of Dynamat Extreme to my MDX. Evey place I could reach has dynamat extreme applied and it has really quited down my ride and killed any vibrations that the sound system we installed would have created. You cna bang on the exterion of my MDX and the thig sounds "dead".

THe MDX is very load for an Acura so we also added Road kill carpet under the existing carpet to further reduce noise.

I added it to my girls Civic and it really made a difference on her car.

You can't go wrong with Dynamat but only use the Extreme. The others are petroleum based and smell when the car gets hot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Petroleum Based.....

Now that is strong advice. I appreciate the feedback.

Didn't know that about the smell....I will use Dynamat Extreme. Boy, I would have been so unhappy if my car wreaked of petroleum after I had invested so much.

Dynamating the entire X is quite intriguing. Love the idea of a really, really "quiet X." Could you give me an idea of cost?

Did you rip everything out of your car? Did you you add some of that "spray foam" to the wheel wells?

Did you pick up any additional vibrations....my concern is if I rip everything out of the car.....they won't put it back together again as well....and I might pick up some additional interior noise.....

-Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you do the work your self you will only incur the cost of the Dynamat. It is not cheap so if you want to save money buy it on the web (its heavy so shipping will be high). You can also go easy on the Dynamat. You do not need to cover every surface as I did just adding some to the interior of you doors and the hatch should help a lot. If you plan on ripping out the entire interior do buy the Helm manual as it shows how everythig comes apart and goes together. I suggest some kind on noise damping carpet for the floor (on top of some Dynamat).
I did not want to tear out the interior so I paid a local custom stero place to rip out the interior and add the carpet (Roadkill by Stinger) and dyanmat. It cost me about $395 labor and parts.
The rest of the Dyanmat I got at cost from a frind of mien that worked at a stero shop and I never really added up the total cost and I dont really want to know either ;).
I also got some Dynamat Tac Mat and wil be glueing that under the headliner to further reduce noise.
I bough it here:

http://www.carstereopro.com/dynamat.html

I had a good experience with them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here's another place where you can purchanse sound damping material.

http://www.b-quiet.com

Found this site thought the TL or CL forum. They have some testimonials and provide sample kit for a nominal fee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
Emerald01
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing