Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...according to Car & Driver's July issue, taking over from the MDX :(

Click HERE to see my thread over at HondaCR-V.org to read about the other winners. BTW, I just so happened to have stopped by the Land Rover dealership the other day and I snapped a bunch of pics of the Range Rover. If anyone is interested in seeing them, they are in THIS thread in the Comparisons section at my site. I wasn't that impressed by it actually, LOTS of VERY cheap looking plastic both inside and out.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Sorry guys, but the '03 Range Rover is now the Best Luxury SUV...
For whom? The mechanics? ;)

·
681 Posts
When..........

Well, that does it for me, if Car & Driver says so then I'm selling RoadRunner this afternoon and heading right down to the RangeRover dealer..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I remember after putting in a order for the MDX I went with my wife and child to Media Day at the Chicago Auto show in Feb. I got into a Land Rover and did nt like it . I thought it was plasticky, shoot I expected much better. I even told my wife I buy the ML before I buy the LR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
And...

Doesn't the Range Rover cost around $70K+ ???!!?!

Little pricey if you ask me!...Unless you are a sheik in the desert rolling around with your harem protecting your oil.

-Mark

·
Registered
747 Posts
Err....ok, to a certain degree, I can see your (the generalized your) point. But c'mon, you've got to admit the new Land Rover has the potential to dethrone our vehicle as the reigning king. No one can deny that BMW knows how to do cars right (refinement/luxury, not quality), and I think their touch will mean the difference for this SUV....

Now I can believe that the interior is plasticky or some styling is strange, but I have a feeling we have a contender.

Of course, this contender costs 20-30K more, as well...

Rob :31:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
No offence, but I just might have......

Robyjo said:
Err....ok, to a certain degree, I can see your (the generalized your) point. But c'mon, you've got to admit the new Land Rover has the potential to dethrone our vehicle as the reigning king. No one can deny that BMW knows how to do cars right (refinement/luxury, not quality), and I think their touch will mean the difference for this SUV....

Now I can believe that the interior is plasticky or some styling is strange, but I have a feeling we have a contender.

Of course, this contender costs 20-30K more, as well...

Rob :31:
.........to disagree there. I have just one word :D and it's :

RELIABILITY, RELIABILITY, RELIABILITY, RELIABILITY, RELIABILITY, RELIABILITY, RELIABILITY........and on and on and on forever

.............I wouldn't buy it if someone offered it to me for $10,000.....let alone $70,000

.......I'm am constantly amazed by the number of BMW X5s and Mercedes ML320s I see, EVEN AFTER THEIR RELIABILITY (OR LACK THEREOF) HAS BEEN WELL DOCUMENTED (sometimes I wonder what's in these people's heads??....did they just inherit their wealth??.....or did money just fall from the sky into their laps to waste it like that and then have the car sit in the shop more than they use it??.......sheez! I wouldn't buy those unreliable crates if they gave it to me for half the selling price!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my dictionary there's only TOYOTA/LEXUS, HONDA/ACURA, NISSAN/INFINITI, SUBARU and maybe MITSUBISHI and SUZUKI.....end of story

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
GatorGreg said:
...according to Car & Driver's July issue, taking over from the MDX :(

Click HERE to see my thread over at HondaCR-V.org to read about the other winners. BTW, I just so happened to have stopped by the Land Rover dealership the other day and I snapped a bunch of pics of the Range Rover. If anyone is interested in seeing them, they are in THIS thread in the Comparisons section at my site. I wasn't that impressed by it actually, LOTS of VERY cheap looking plastic both inside and out.
Sure it may be the best, but it's a totally different price catagory. I looked at the Range Rover discovery which I didn't care for at all. but the biggie Range Rover was nice in feature but didn't like it's appearance. The cost was much more like the big Lexus 470. I believe it's not in the same catagory as the MDX for comparison. They are more the larger luxury SUV's like Denali, Escalade, and Lexus 470.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Re: Sorry guys, but the '03 Range Rover is now the Best Luxury SUV...

paul123 said:
Sure it may be the best, but it's a totally different price catagory. I looked at the Range Rover discovery which I didn't care for at all. but the biggie Range Rover was nice in feature but didn't like it's appearance. The cost was much more like the big Lexus 470. I believe it's not in the same catagory as the MDX for comparison. They are more the larger luxury SUV's like Denali, Escalade, and Lexus 470.
In the group mentioned, the RR wins, but man that is a pretty saaaaad group of machine. Sure, they can pull YACHTS, but they are YACHTS!

Helps to have an oilfield or two in your personal portfolio.

The RX300 overhaul COULD'VE been a contender for MDX's CROWN, but now there just ain't much on the horizon...

Even if Lincoln pulls out all the stops on the Aviator, it will still be a cousin to Exploder & Mount In 'Er...

Is BMW still working on an X7? Ought to cost about a QUADILLION bucks...

Maybe Caddy can produce somethin' cool with its upcoming Sigma platform SUV, but it's a long way off.

There are lots of SUV's out there, but "big picture" Honda has gotten alot of things right. Lately I've been scribbling out ways I can get a CRV for myself & MDX for the real boss...

·
Registered
312 Posts
And the Honda Pilot

is the best large SUV, bumping out the MDX. The MDX didn't compete against the Rover because the price cutoff was $40K. If it was still in that class, the Rover would be in the doghouse.:26:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The Range Rover seems like a great vehicle.

But dang, it costs $72k with options!

For about that money (and I'd imagine you pay a gas guzzler tax or something), I could buy ...

An MB G-wagen.

Or, a BMW X5 4.6is, and run circles around it.

Or, an MB ML55 AMG, and run circles around it.

Or, a loaded Porsche Boxster, and have fun.

Or, an MB E-class 4matic wagon, and enjoy more luxury and a fine AWD system.

Or, an MDX/Touring/Nav, and a Honda Pilot EX-L!

Or, (what I'd do based on my own situation), an MDX plus an A4 (and one can substitute a TL-S, I35, ES300, etc. here).

That said, I wouldn't mind having money to burn.
:D

·
Registered
619 Posts
If i had $72,000 to blow, I would:

1) buy a MDX- T&N, and a S2000.

2) buy a Pilot EX-L, and a porsche boxster 2.7L.

3) buy a MDX, invest the $32k wisely.

4) buy a MDX, and travel the world.

5) buy a MDX, and donate money for AIDS clinics in Africa.

Luvr, :31:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Caught the test of the new Range Rover on Motor Week a few weeks back. Very impressive off road capabilities and technology. If 70 grand is in your budget, then keeping that puppy fed should be no problem. 10 city 13 Highway, Wow.
When gas prices climb, and they will my friends, this is going to be more of an issue. Still, its quite a vehical

roadrunner, I still think you are a funny guy.
Harry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts