Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this leak... heard a clunk and rattle getting on the freeway but didn't see any debris that I could have run over. Lo and behold... I get home and see some liquids on the ground leading to my MDX.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qGc4X0v9JvwO57kl2

Even more wonderful that it's a Saturday night and Service Depts are all closed on Sundays...

Only 16.8k miles on the 2016... Hmm..

Oh fluid is a light yellow/gold color if that gives you a hint.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol you're sure up late!

Have you seen others on Piloteers report anything like this?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
We have electric power steering, so no fluid there.

Is it transfer case fluid/gear oil? It looks like it’s coming from that area.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
What does it taste like? ;)

That's quite a leak! Does the fluid smell bad? If so, probably transfer case.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have electric power steering, so no fluid there.

Is it transfer case fluid/gear oil? It looks like it’s coming from that area.
Oh yeah we know. Pretty sure he was joking.

It's right before the transfer case from the side of the zf tranny.

The smell is not the nasty used gear oil smell but a slightly sweet/sour type of gear oil. I've never been able to smell the lifeguard 9 from zf/atf 3.1 so I'm wondering if this might be it. I need to crawl under the car again in a few.

Anyone happen to know if our hgo-1 gear oil smells like this? I haven't had to service the transfer case yet and all i remember these days is motul gear 300 smell from Subaru services. Probably is the transfer case though..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
Actually, that was just a late night brain-fart on the power steering. My other thought was the oddball ATF but I just didn't want to go there! Maybe the chirping noise is a countdown until the transmission explodes? :eek:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol no worries.

So guys.. i checked the pan i threw under the car last night and the fluid is actually GREEN, which is the color of lifeguard 9 from zf. But, I'll hold on pinning it directly on the zf9 until i get a confirmation on the fluid levels and see which one it actually is.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The clunk and rattle could have come from inside the trans/transfer case from something that broke inside of it that's now causing the leak. This is likely a towing type of event - i.e. probably not safe to drive it since it was a pretty fast leak, which could cause a lot more damage.

Didn't you have some work done on the ZF? If so maybe they didn't put it back together right.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The clunk and rattle could have come from inside the trans/transfer case from something that broke inside of it that's now causing the leak. This is likely a towing type of event - i.e. probably not safe to drive it since it was a pretty fast leak, which could cause a lot more damage.

Didn't you have some work done on the ZF? If so maybe they didn't put it back together right.
Funny though after the sound, i drove ~25 miles home before noticing the fluid. It had no weird behavior after the noise.

Yeah the dealer pressure tested my tranny and replaced some atf. So, I'm guessing it's related. :/

·
Registered
869 Posts
The clunk and rattle could have been the sound of a drain plug bouncing back and forth between the pavement and the underside of the car. ( Maybe the plug for the "overflow port" of the transmission? That happened to me once many years ago after I had an engine oil change at a shop. ( Part of why I DIY ).

·
Registered
713 Posts
have the car flat bedded. That is too much fluid to be able to safely drive it. Fluids act as lubricants and coolants. When that much is lost there is bound to be excessive wear in whatever is involved.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the tow comp acura sent couldn't find an available flat bed but i got it dollied.

The drain plug looks to still be there and not leaking from it. Coming from somewhere on the side i think. Surprisingly it can still shift fine (had to move the car a few feet to get it into a space at the dealer since there are no service personnel on Sunday). But it's definitely still leaking in small amounts.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Check out this leak... heard a clunk and rattle getting on the freeway but didn't see any debris that I could have run over. Lo and behold... I get home and see some liquids on the ground leading to my MDX.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qGc4X0v9JvwO57kl2

Even more wonderful that it's a Saturday night and Service Depts are all closed on Sundays...

Only 16.8k miles on the 2016... Hmm..

Oh fluid is a light yellow/gold color if that gives you a hint.
Transmission case is punctured.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol.

So checked in with the dealer this morning. No word yet if they've looked at it. I did call ZF this morning though and they confirmed lifeguard 9/atf 3.1 is indeed green. Sigh. Service adviser tried telling me it's red, but I'll chalk it up to lag time in getting to know their products.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The clunk and rattle could have been the sound of a drain plug bouncing back and forth between the pavement and the underside of the car. ( Maybe the plug for the "overflow port" of the transmission? That happened to me once many years ago after I had an engine oil change at a shop. ( Part of why I DIY ).
You get the prize. The fill plug came off. They didn't torque it right after their pressure test. They keep saying nothing is damaged and that only minimal fluid loss was present. Really ****ing peeved at this point.

·
Registered
713 Posts
get it in writing that they screwed up and will fix anything that goes wrong with it in the future as a consequence. That is what their insurance is for.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparently so. I'm tempted to ask them to lift the car for me and show me the plug is actually torqued properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts