Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did it guys, and here's how it went down. I originally went into a dealer for a 2014 mdx adv ent with 26k miles for only 36.5k, no photos online, but it was the lowest price ive seen so far for such low miles. Sure enough, i showed up at my appt, i was told it was sold 5 days ago. At this point, im a bit peeved but part of me expected this kind of bait n switch. I suspected it was odd that the stock number did not appear on the dealer site, just cars.com and autotrader. 2 days ago it disappeared but was on edmunds.com. They pulled up 2 other MDX Adv Ent. Anyways i figured i made it all the way there (45min drive) might as well just test it.

White/gray (eucalytpus??) with 13k miles for 42.5k and black/beige with 4k miles for 44k, but it had a hold on it.

I test drove the white one, and it was smooth as silk. I punched it from 60 to 80 in about 2.5 seconds without a flinch. Sure enough i was falling for the bag of sales tricks. He showed me all the safety features (which was my requirements) and very very impressed. Sport/normal /comfort modes).

So back to the sales office, we get straight down to business. He went from $42.5k to $40k immediately, then $39.5k, then waive the 1k dealer CPO fee. I said still not sure. I want to go to another dealer about 100 miles away for another MDX, same trim but with 40k miles but with fogs and running boards for $38.5k. They brought me into the mgrs office to meet the closer. The closer basically compared the two and basically told me all the reasons why his is better, i already knew this. the miles discrepancy was undeniable. Who said they'd give me 20% off labor, then said they'd waive the labor, then they finally said OK, well give u the running boards installed free and charge u pay just the fogs labor. I was getting close at this pt. They showed me the trade in value which was about 37k without the add ons i wanted. At one point they said why dont u take the quote home and think it over. I was hoping to use that line as my last chip, so that through me off my game plan for a sec..

So it came out to about 40k n change, i hemmed and hawwed for about 15 minutes w my wife. And said if we can do $39.9k for everything out the door (excluding tax/title/reg) we have a deal. Finance at 1.9% and thats was how it unfolded.

What do u think?

2014 MDX Adv Ent CPO
White ext / Eucalyptus int
14k miles
Near perfect condition (one sand grain sized paint chip likely caused by a highway pebble, but they said theyd touch it up in the Certification process)
Running Boards
Fog lights
Rubber floor mats
Clean car fax/dealer serviced
$39.9k

Took about 2 hrs total, picking up saturday. I paid more than i planned, but i got exactly what i wanted if not, a bit more without an ugly used car sales experience. And i guess as a final cherry on top bonus. He allowed me to put 2.5k on my new Amex, which allowed me to get 100k Hilton pts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll be honest. I didn't think this was a mind blowing deal, I just checked the dealer website, and I did see the internet price of 39.9k (vs dealer sticker price of 42.5k)
I guess you can sum up my deal as $1k CPO fee waived, free running boards and fog lights installed which they quoted for $1200-1500 bucks and 1.9% interest rate for financing to boot. Edmunds has it as around $42-44k Dealer Certified value. I got pretty close to the Edmunds Price Promise aka no haggle price of 39.7 + cpo fee, but with the 2 big add ons and no CPO fee.

I was itching to replace my 16 yr old Base MDX with 170k miles on it and to be very honest, the low miles on it is what really did me in. This car averaged under 6k miles a year, which was very rare during my monthssss long search. And also It was a 5/2014 build, so less worry about software patches.

Overall, I'm happy with it, its beautiful, near perfect inside and out. I plan to keep the car for at least 10 years, so by then we'll probably be on atomic powered self flying cars by then. WEEEEEEE MY NEW TOY ARRIVES SATURDAY....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did learn this much from my experience. Find what toys/add ons the buyer really wants and make it free and theyll warm up to closing the deal. Say the words free enough and theyll likely bite like i did. I wonder if i can do this part time.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It was a 5/2014 build, so less worry about software patches.
See if you can convince them to do one more thing that s/b easy and inexpensive for them to do - just a bit of labor - have them update the infotainment to the current version if it's not already at it, and there's a good chance it's not at the latest version.

There are 2 things -
- Latest software version
- Latest maps

The two above don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Ask for both but insist on them applying at least the latest software version which resolves some actual bugs, even if the maps are older, which usually isn't much of an issue.

IIRC the latest software version is 3.00.2304 and you can reference TSB 15-001 for it which states up front that it affects 'all' 2014 MDXs.

Good luck on your purchase - I'm still very much enjoying my 2014 Tech SHAWD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if you can convince them to do one more thing that s/b easy and inexpensive for them to do - just a bit of labor - have them update the infotainment to the current version if it's not already at it, and there's a good chance it's not at the latest version.

There are 2 things -
- Latest software version
- Latest maps

The two above don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Ask for both but insist on them applying at least the latest software version which resolves some actual bugs, even if the maps are older, which usually isn't much of an issue.

IIRC the latest software version is 3.00.2304 and you can reference TSB 15-001 for it which states up front that it affects 'all' 2014 MDXs.

Good luck on your purchase - I'm still very much enjoying my 2014 Tech SHAWD.
Thanks MDXStang. I emailed them about the software updates. Ill check to tomorrow again when i pick it up. He did scroll through the infotainment screen when i test drove it and it seemed pretty smooth and no glitches or delays, so i didn't think about it. Is it a signifcant difference?

Also, i always use Waze, which warns me of speed traps, red light cameras, police and does funny voices. Does the navi haveany advantage over waze other than being built in?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Smartphone apps are always better and faster, but sometimes you get stuck in a situation where you need it (phone out of battery), so it's nice to have it work well when you need it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The updates fix some bugs as well a make a couple of improvements. It's likely nothing you'd notice unless you were looking for it and likely not in a short test drive but you still should be at the latest version.

The biggest advantage of the built-in Nav is the screen size and the fact that it's built-in. The software can't compete with what's available on a smartphone since the MDX is essentially using a Nav app that was developed years ago and not updated significantly since then whereas smartphone apps are updated on a continual basis and if you don't like one app you simply switch to a different one on a smartphone. Regardless - trying to look at the screen and control a smartphone while driving really isn't a very safe practice. I know some people will think they can handle it just fine, just like teenagers think they can handle texting while driving just fine, but the size and position of the built-in Nav has some advantages in this area. Just don't expect it to be a great Nav system - it's not. Also - it would be wise to practice with it before trying to depend on it while driving since the voice commands and knowing which buttons work and which ones don't while driving can take some getting used to and even then the voice commands don't always do what they should do - this is the area where some of the bug fixes have improved it.

An example of one of the fixes is the seat heater voice command. It simply didn't work on the initial software version but got fixed in one of the updates. Some other bugs fixed are some random freezes of the system exhibited by white stars on a black background - the equivalent of a bluescreen of death. I just completed a 6000 mile trip in mine with no freezes of the Nav so it's improved over some earlier software versions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to hear you got what you were looking for. I've been researching my wife's next vehicle for some time and had it narrowed down to either a really good deal on a 2014 w/ Advance or Tech. Well today we pulled the trigger on a local 2014 w/ Tech at 23k, earlier in the day we looked at a 2015 w/ Advance but it had 40K and they wanted $37.2 which was too much for me to justify. Really wanted those ventilated seats but I'll live.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear you got what you were looking for. I've been researching my wife's next vehicle for some time and had it narrowed down to either a really good deal on a 2014 w/ Advance or Tech. Well today we pulled the trigger on a local 2014 w/ Tech at 23k, earlier in the day we looked at a 2015 w/ Advance but it had 40K and they wanted $37.2 which was too much for me to justify. Really wanted those ventilated seats but I'll live.
how much did you pay for the tech? I saw a 2014 adv with 40k miles went for 38.5k, i'm surprised a 2015 adv with 40k is 1.3k less. but I guess there's other considerations such as options.

I really like the blindspot warning and the other safety features, Lane keeping assist, and adaptive cruise control. I live in NY, so I'm not exactly sure how much the ventilated seats will be used, maybe 1 or 2 months out of the year. Frankly, I probably wont ever use it, LOL.

One thing is, there's SO many feautures, I will have to review the entire 5 pound book from the glove compartment this weekend!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts