Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm in the process of deciding between getting the touring navigation and the touring navigation with dvd system.

the acura salesperson informed me that the dvd system screen is tiny at 7". i haven't seen it. so i can't verify. also...navigation with dvd system will take longer to deliver. touring navigation is more readily available...at least locally in my area.

so it looks like i'll be getting just the touring navigation model. probably in sagebrush or silver.

my question. i'm just looking to be able to play dvds on the nav unit. is that a difficult job to accomplish? could i do it myself or would i need to go somewhere to have it done? if so...how much?

thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
my question. i'm just looking to be able to play dvds on the nav unit. is that a difficult job to accomplish? could i do it myself or would i need to go somewhere to have it done? if so...how much?

thanks in advance. [/B]

This questions has been asked before with a resounding NO. Think as the Navi DVD as just a plain ol DVD-ROM with a simple firmware to run the SW on the NAVI disc. BUT!!!! wait you can modify the screen to be able to display video from a actual DVD player ( which you would get seperatly). There was a converter made by Pioneer which of course is no longer made and is hard to come by. But there have been alternatives. Do a search on DVD players and you will find alot of members do some nice work then you can judge if this would be something you would tackle yourself.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Navi screen input...

I've been following a thread over on the Oddy club of a terrific guy who has used the Honda Rear View Camera option to add a "VIDEO IN" option to his Navi unit. He posted a simple scheamtic -- looks like a NO BRAINER, make trip to RadioSchlock for the approritae switches/relays and RCA connectors and you are good to go!

Add a aux audio input (as in the MDXtrous thread) for sound.

Total cost of "modifications" isunder $100, of course you need a DVD player, as the DVD ROM unit for Navi has no video decoder. The price of DC powered DVD player is rapidly falling.

BTW I do not think there is ANY difference in FACTORY delivery for a Touuing with Navi & DVD vs Touring with ONLY Navi. The salemen is blowing smoke!!! Best case: He knows that a Touring with Navi & NO DVD is "on its way", unspoken for and/or the original pre-order custoemr backed out. Worst case (and highly likely) the wait for either will be EXCEEDINGLY long at this dealer...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. i have another newbie question.

say i get the base model...without navigation. could i see implement the dvd playback with the aforementioned options?

or does it require that i have the stock dvd navigation?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
sapiansays said:
thanks for the replies. i have another newbie question.

say i get the base model...without navigation. could i see implement the dvd playback with the aforementioned options?

or does it require that i have the stock dvd navigation?
For either solution you NEED the Navigation. The non-navigation screen has is a pre-etched glass display.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
MDXTROUS: Your X was the first one I saw on this site and was pretty impressed with your setup(and that name) Have you had any problems with your navi back up camera. I damn near backed into a car yesterday and am thinking that would be great if no problems would come of it. Does it automatically override anything on the screen including start up screen? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
MDXTROUS: Your X was the first one I saw on this site and was pretty impressed with your setup(and that name) Have you had any problems with your navi back up camera. I damn near backed into a car yesterday and am thinking that would be great if no problems would come of it. Does it automatically override anything on the screen including start up screen? Thanks in advance.
Hockeyplayer,
I haven't had any problems with my Navi backup camera. Shifting to reverse overrides everything including the navi and the start up screen. So regardless if whether I have video or Navi, I get the backup image when I'm in reverse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MDXtrous - just curious. i heard that the 03 comes with a reverse camera when in reverse. how would this work with the backup camera you mentioned?

would this be an issue?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
sapiansays said:
MDXtrous - just curious. i heard that the 03 comes with a reverse camera when in reverse. how would this work with the backup camera you mentioned?

would this be an issue?
That's where this solution for video on navi would come in:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8699&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Mine was done before the backup camera was an option. So, mine pretty much does the same thing, but it's custom instead of a solution provided by Honda.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
works for me. sounds like it would be pretty easy since the 03 comes with the reverse camera.

do you know if any 03 owners on this forum that has implemented this? just curious to see it in action.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
sapian: I don't believe any 03 with nav units have been picked up by an owner the answer for now is no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm not sure why...but i feel out of it today. just wanted to confirm.

if i get the 03 navigation...which has the reverse camera...would i still need to get another dvd system to utilize the dvd navigation screen?

i feel like this has been answered...but for the life of me...i've forgotten it.

it's a friday...brain fried.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
This is NOT authoritative...

...as none of us have touched an actual 03 Navi, BUT...

If they use the same type drive (which has NO video/MPEG decoder) they you will need a "real" DVD player.

You can modify the input to the Navi screen, but you still need a decoded video stream to output.

sapiansays said:
i'm not sure why...but i feel out of it today. just wanted to confirm.

if i get the 03 navigation...which has the reverse camera...would i still need to get another dvd system to utilize the dvd navigation screen?

i feel like this has been answered...but for the life of me...i've forgotten it.

it's a friday...brain fried.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts