Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few weeks ago, I was at a party in Sanford, FL, when some intelligent (jealous) douche(s) decided to f*** up and scratch on every single side of my 2017 MDX Tech. As I am coming from a car guy side, I tried to remove the scratches immediately by washing it and giving all my strength to remove those. However, those scratches only can be removed by finger nail, not by soap and water. I had to get Acura Motor Co. involved in this issue since my local dealer apparently "could not" find the touch up paint for Black Copper Pearl, where another dealer in Miami said they have it in stock.

However, this is just the beginning. Adding injury onto injury, our 2nd car out of our 3 cars, which is a 2016 Nissan Rogue SL got keyed the heck out of it. Filed an insurance claim for this car as vandalism and insurance paid $1000 out of $1100, and I paid a $100 deductible.

Now, going back to the MDX issue, what is the best solution to remove the scratches? Should I order the touch-up paint or take it to a professional body shop and have a professional fix it?

All responses are appreciated!

·
Registered
548 Posts
If it were simply a small rock chip I would say fix it yourself. Since your describing some extensive gouges in the paint, your best solution is professional. Have you asked a professional detailer to look at. They may be able to buff it out as long as the paint is still there.

·
Registered
885 Posts
+1 on getting with a pro detailer. Once you put touch up paint on there is no going back, but frequently light scratches can be buffed out, especially as you are describing that they can be removed with a finger nail.

·
Registered
94 Posts
+1 on getting with a pro detailer. Once you put touch up paint on there is no going back, but frequently light scratches can be buffed out, especially as you are describing that they can be removed with a finger nail.
If these are just in the clearcoat (no metal showing), you're "handy" and have the time and interest in taking this on yourself, check out car detailing product supply sites. Lots of information on alternatives, starting with basic "by hand" and going up to power tools :smile2:

PC polisher: https://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html
pads: https://www.autogeek.net/3-inch-foam-pad-6-pack.html
rubbing/polishing compounds:
https://www.autogeek.net/3mperllrubco.html
https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-105-compound-8oz.html
https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html

Scratch removal would have to be followed up by wax/sealant.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can remove the scratch with your fingernail? I don't think I would consider that a scratch. If it was white paint I might be inclined to suggest some approaches but that color deserves a professional to evaluate. If it is in fact something on the surface of the paint, a detailer can fix. If you meant you can 'feel' it with a fingernail, then its body shop time. I've never had good luck with touch-up paint, from color match to actually improving the defect.

Just a side question, you've had two cars keyed recently? That seems quite unusual, to me at least. Is this a thing in Florida or do you need to consider some behavioral changes?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, lets add to the list of amount of damages to my MDX now.... Few uncultured swines, yesterday afternoon, vandalized and damaged the MDX even more now. Rear bumper might have been either keyed the firetruck out or been hit, and some lunatic hit the drivers door and left deep scratches....

I called the Orange County Sheriff (Florida) and was transferred to Florida Highway Patrol, but neither of these departments were worthy of any help cause I "do not have enough information" on who vandalized my MDX. Insurance on the other hand told me that they will be happy to file this under vandalism, but did not give me any information if my rates would increase if I filed for the same type of claim and reason for the 2nd time within one month.

Next step, the MDX is actually due for its oil change and tire rotation soon, so I will take it to the dealer and have their body shop to give me an estimate on how much its gonna cost now with these extra damages.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can remove the scratch with your fingernail? I don't think I would consider that a scratch. If it was white paint I might be inclined to suggest some approaches but that color deserves a professional to evaluate. If it is in fact something on the surface of the paint, a detailer can fix. If you meant you can 'feel' it with a fingernail, then its body shop time. I've never had good luck with touch-up paint, from color match to actually improving the defect.

Just a side question, you've had two cars keyed recently? That seems quite unusual, to me at least. Is this a thing in Florida or do you need to consider some behavioral changes?
Yes I did had both vehicles keyed this month. I never drove like a(n) (INSERT words HERE) in the MDX for quite a while now, since I am going to college in Miami, and have been driving slowly and carefully a lot recently after my father getting a ticket (FHP in Martin county, which is next to Palm Beach County, said it was just a warning) around labor day this year. The first round of scratches happened when my family took the MDX to a party and saw people vandalizing it, and the 2nd round of painful scratches happened yesterday afternoon, while I was in a Disney trip with my medical fraternity, where I took my Nissan (the MDX was with the rest of family at a Temple ceremony).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already have a dash camera, but it won't stay still in its mount. Unless I drive smoothly and slowly, it will fall off and create scratches, which I am already experiencing in the Rogue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts