Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Somebody save my life! Need help getting rid of kerosene smell in carpet

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Shadowfax419 
#1 ·
Help! Without going into the whole story, I spilled about a gallon of kerosene in the back of my wife's MDX. It spilled behind the back seat and ran down the folded down third row seat into the carpet under the third row seat and the second row seat. I have used a portable carpet shampooer, with little success. Is there anything I can do, short of removing the carpeting and pad? Not saying my marriage is at risk here, but you never can tell! Any suggestion that works will be rewarded with my unending thanks, and I'll wash your car free for the rest of my life! LOL!

#3 ·
I spilled about 1/2 cup of fuel additive on my rear 11 MDX cargo mat and I couldn't get the smell out no matter how many times I washed, aired out, and freeze breezed the plastic mat for months. I just ended up tossing it and purchasing another cargo mat. Might have to look into replacing the carpet if the shampoo job doesn't work.

#4 ·
I have a feeling that pulling up the carpet is the only guaranteed solution. But if you want to try a few more last ditch efforts, here are a few:

• park the car somewhere hot in the sun for a long time with the windows open (not sure if this is a feasible option for you this time of year).
  • going forward, keep a large amount of charcoal in a breathable bag or box in the car.
  • do the same as above, but with lots of baking soda instead.
  • maybe you can spread baking soda over the spilled areas, let it sit for a few days, and vacuum.
  • another few rounds of carpet shampoos, preferably with the seats removed.

Do you think any of the kerosene crept into the seat foam of the third row? If it did, I think your battle just got much harder.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Yes, Emmet, I think some got into the second row headrest and possibly the third row seat! Just Dang! I've researched taking out the carpet and doesn't look that bad of a job. Thinking I might pull the carpet, pressure wash it with a wide angle nozzle and let it dry in the sun for a couple days...assuming the sun ever comes back out in N.E. Ga! I have been unable to find replacement carpet for this so I guess that's not an option. I've heard that peppermint oil is good at masking odors, so that is something I might try. We may end up with the only MDX in the Country with peppermint candy canes strung up along the window trim like they used to do with those little white furry balls! Oh the joy!

#6 ·
Just realized I never posted a follow up on this!!!! I was able to get rid of the smell...finally. I took out the carpeting and all the felt sound deadening material. I soaked the felt with dawn detergent and pressure washed it on low setting with wide angle tip 3 times allowing it to dry after each wash. I did the same with the carpet, washing it on front then flipping it over and repeating on back side. Once again, I did this three times until the water runoff was void of the oily puddles. After letting both dry completely, I reinstalled them. There was still a faint smell, but after using Febreze several times, we are now, once again, running down the road without smelling like I've got a kerosene heater going in the back seat! Belated thanks to all who offered help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.