Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Good Advice!

It is simple, but it REALLY adds up.

I may have said this before, but it worth repeating, <u>once you get used</u> to the functional reporting of the data one gets from even a portable handheld GPS you REALLY get a sense for just how INEFFICIENT your driving habits can be.

For instance, even though I have a relatively SHORT commute to work of about 16 miles, I have noticed BIG differences in my "moving time vs stopped time" based on when I start/stop my commute. The ratio changes from almost 50% stopped to about 35% if I avoid the "peak rush hour".While it means my commute is only a few minutes different (barely 6 minutes each way) the effect on MPG is noticeable. That means 15% LESS ZERO MPG IDLING at stoplights, railroad crossings, merge points, ET CETERA... It is is almost like getting 15% FREE GASOLINE! I would NEVER have believed it if I had not verified over & over with my portable GPS...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The trip computer....

......has also been a great indicator of mpg and driving habits. If you look at the "instantaneous mileage" you can see how it goes to 50mpg+ when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Now I pretty much "anticipate" and "coast" to stops (stop signs, stop-lights etc.), rather than drive and then brake when I'm THERE.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
But I like gunning the engine. . . :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the simple reminders that really do affect the gas mileage of the X.

My boys always like to see how low the mpg is when I'm driving compared to when my husband is driving, and then giving me a hard time about it. There is one huge difference, besides the lead foot I apparently have, I do the around town stop & go, whereas he is on the highway. Comparing apples to oranges, right?;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts