Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

SOLVED--DPSF DPSF-II Are They Different?

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  npolite 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am about to change the differential fluid in a 2023 MDX AWD-Advanced and the manual calls for DPSF-II fluid. Went to the Acura dealership today and the bottle says DPSF. When I asked him about the -II he said they all use this fluid. Is this correct? I was not able to find any bottles online with the -II so assume that it is correct but of course want to verify with the forum.

Thanks.

#3 ·
American Honda Motor Co. never came out with DPSF-II in the U.S. for Acura although it shows up as the rear differential fluid to use in MDX Owners Manuals going back to around 2016. Dealers were told to just use Acura DPSF ….. even up to this day, unless it changed recently.
Honda Dual Pump Fluid II (DPF-II) is very similar to DPSF in composition but not exactly the same. Even the color is slightly different between the two. But because they are so similar (almost identical), and their usage in either application do not appear to result in any mechanical issues, they have become somewhat interchangeable by both Honda and Acura dealers.
And although the P/N of both are identical except for the “A” on the end of the Acura DPSF (08200-9007A), the “A” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the same exact part (in this case anyway) as the Honda P/N (08200-9007).
Hope this sheds a little light on the confusion.

#4 ·
Just like the old threads already covered ….
It’s the same base part number. They are the same. If it was totally different , it would be a completely different part number .
not only that, if I asked Acura to change my fluid and they tell me they have none and it’s back ordered for 6-months to a year under the Acura brand, how do you suppose they will change everyone’s fluid?
They will pick up some Honda branded fluid and call me when it’s done.
The A or any number thereafter could be distinguishing revision or even supplier or the sticker label. It also allows them to charge a premium under a slightly different part number.

I wouldn’t even worry about it. Do you see any threads from anyone “oMG my diff blew up with Honda branded DPSF-II”
Liquid Fluid Material property Font Tints and shades

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.