Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2002 MDX with 6500miles on it. Two days ago car started kicking like crazy horse. Upshifting with hard kick and downshifing for no reason. Took it to dealer yesterday and they told me that solenoid went bad on me. Can this be possible after 6500 miles of moderate driving? And should I start worrying about transmission? Please advice what are my next steps.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
If they can fix it by replacing the solenoid(s) let them at it. I would insist a mechanic ride with me when I pick it up to ensure the problem is fixed. Better to have a witness if it acts funny again.
I had a tranny replaced in erorr on a vehicle, when it turned out to be a defective throttle position sensor.
When these dealers are under pressure, they can be great at assuming things without doing thorough road-tests with a knowledgeable mechanic. They did that AFTER they replaced the transmission in my case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got a call from them stated solenoid replacement didn't work.
No they are going for the transmission replacement.
I'm getting really upset... Common... this is a new car...
What should I do?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
CcCp said:
Just got a call from them stated solenoid replacement didn't work.
No they are going for the transmission replacement.
I'm getting really upset... Common... this is a new car...
What should I do?
There are scattered reports of transmissions failing. It reportedly is within the 1-2% that NHTSA feels is normal.

The good news is that once your transmission is replaced, there have been Zero reports of having transmission problems again. This is pretty significant- some other Honda and Acura owners are on their third transmission.

I had a tranny replaced in a Ford Explorer at 5,000 miles too. It's emotionally draining to see your new car being taken apart, but I lived, and bought another Explorer.

Here's my advice: keep good documentation of the number of days you've lost the vehicle, and the number of visits you've been forced to make to the dealer. If this replacement fixes it (and it has always done so before), worry about other things like getting hit by a dirty bomb by some terrorist scum.

If you're forced to be without the car for extended or repeated periods, then use the documentation to pursue your State's lemon law recovery.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A guy at work has a 2001 CL. He just had his third transmission replacement at 88,000 miles. The one that was just replaced apparently lasted around 60K miles, so that means there were two failures before 30,000 miles. All under warranty so far, of course. They said the rebuilt one has a 36,000 mile warranty. It'll probably last that long, but the next replacement will be on him. (Personally, I think Acura should guarantee even the replacements for 100,000 miles. It may very well mean free transmissions for life, but that's Acura's problem, since they can't seem to redesign the units to fix this. I sure wouldn't be happy paying for defective engineering). The mechanics at Acura said the problem wasn't fixed in the rebuilt units and will happen again, most likely. Something to do with an overheating 3rd gear clutch pack caused by inadequate cooling from the trans. fluid system. He was told that if a person does a full throttle shift into third gear about 4 times in a row, the transmission is toast. Each hard shift comes close to overheating the clutch pack. Multiple shifts do overheat it.

I have no idea if any of the above applies to MDXs, or if the transmission coolers help. If the above is all correct information, it sounds like driving style could have a lot to do with how long the transmission lasts. I know this guy is a fast driver. He knows exactly what mpg range his car gets on trips at 95-100 mpg. I noticed he transferred his radar detector to his Acura RSX loaner car.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I take mine about every 2 mos. up grades at 70-75 mph for about a 11 miles stretch of winding hills (San Luis Resevoir) on some very warm days. I see the tach hitting 4000+ rpm in 3 rd and 4 th before it shifts to the higher gear. I just keep my foot in it, or have the cruise set. This includes at least a half dozen long pull grades.
It does this flawlessy, time after time.
That is at least 7 trips (14 both ways!) so far, once pulling a UHaul over the same terrain.
That has to be simiilar to the load put on it by the street racing you describe. Except I am not shifting manually. So if it is going to fail me sometime, so be it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. My car will be ready (or so they said) by the mid next week. I'm probably going to ask to extand my warranty to 7 years... I don't feel really good about whole acura experience... Will keep you updated...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
CcCp said:
Thanks for your replies. My car will be ready (or so they said) by the mid next week. I'm probably going to ask to extand my warranty to 7 years... I don't feel really good about whole acura experience... Will keep you updated...
Remember, don't panic about the extended warranty. You have lots of time to get it, and shop for the best price

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
DaleB said:

Remember, don't panic about the extended warranty. You have lots of time to get it, and shop for the best price
I don't think he should have to pay for the extended warranty, Acura should give this to him for free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hell no... I'm not going to pay to extend my warranty...
They better give me this one for free, since my car already been twice in there... And this is first year...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts