Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,348 Posts
looks like there is a software update out in the official map update site for the 16 and 17 mdx. does anyone know if the s/w update adds any new features to the audio system? CarPlay maybe?
There is virtually no chance of any previous model getting CarPlay. Owners have been through this before. They may fix something that’s broken. But adding new features. I don’t think so.

· Registered
870 Posts
Amongst other things, Apple publishes minimum specifications for the hardware to support CarPlay. Allegedly, the Acura infotainment hardware got an upgrade for 2018 in order to meet those specs. But by report, it's still a poor implementation because the iOS UI is touch-screen based, but the silly knob is used like a mouse in the current MDX.

Somebody at Acura really likes their knob. :rolleyes:

· Registered
16 Posts
I am looking into it myself as well. Just trying to figure out dimension wise if it can fit or not. I know the 2018 MDX has Apple Car Play unit and was thinking of buying it and replacing the one in 2016 MDX.

I have seen on youtube that there are some people who have successfully done it on their 2016 Pilot. They just bought 2017 Apple Car Play inbuilt infotainment system and replaced the 2016 one.

Here are the youtube links:

"To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 1 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post."

I cannot post the links yet. I will do it once it allows me to.

· Registered
3,348 Posts
it is on acuranavi_dot_navigation_com - see location which says "in the box" on the 17 mdx page
It does say software update dvd. There is no mention of any new features. You can be sure there are no new features. The instruction manual is there. It has to run for at least 45 minutes with car running. I guess you just sit there. Sounds the same as when I updated my 14.

· Registered
3,348 Posts
I am looking into it myself as well. Just trying to figure out dimension wise if it can fit or not. I know the 2018 MDX has Apple Car Play unit and was thinking of buying it and replacing the one in 2016 MDX.

I have seen on youtube that there are some people who have successfully done it on their 2016 Pilot. They just bought 2017 Apple Car Play inbuilt infotainment system and replaced the 2016 one.

Here are the youtube links:

"To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 1 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post."

I cannot post the links yet. I will do it once it allows me to.
Unless it costs less then $100,I don’t think it’s worth it.

· Registered
81 Posts
The software update DVD is probably just that, a software update for the DVD software, followed by a map update. Probably bug fixes only, as the PDF that accompanies it does not list any instructions that are not already in the original manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.