Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only found one post on this problem, so maybe it is me. Does anyone else think that the volume on the turn signal indicator annunciator (you know, "click, click, click") is awfully low?

I can hear it with everything off, but even with the radio on at a moderate level, I cannot hear the indicator. As a result, if I change lanes or make a shallow turn which doesn't automatically turn it off, my turn signal keeps going and going and going.

Question B: is there any way to change the volume of the turn signal annunciator?

Thanks. What? I said THANKS!

:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
You're not alone!

I can't tell you how many times I've driven with the turn signal flashing long after I've made the turn.

Years ago the turn signals stopped working on one of my cars. Sometimes that means one of the bulbs has blown. That wasn't the case though. Found out from an autoparts store manager that it was probably just the plug-in 'flasher', so I tried that and it worked. I noticed that the replacement had a very different sound...probably because it wasn't OEM.

Perhaps someone here can tell us if they still use those flashers. If so, it might be worth a try to see if the sound is different, in this case, hopefully louder.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have always associated a loud turn signal to cheap American cars. I have had enough of both to appreciate the low volume turn signals the Hondas have always had. Although I have been guilty of driving around with my turn signal, I realized if I looked at the instrument panel more often I would see the turn signal on.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree with jpt .. I would rather have a quiet signal rather than an annoying TICK. I tend to stay away from people who leave the siganl on because that tells me that they are not aware of the conditions or thier automobile. Its like saying people with manual transmissions are more in control of thier cars because they are constantly having to do something to control it rather than bottleneck or daydream. :rolleyes:

TECK!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm in for loud!

It drives me crazy when people ride for miles with their blinker on. Now I find that many times, I'm the culprit! - the turn signal on the MDX is so quiet, that unless you turn off the radio, you have to look at the dash to know it's on. I would love to find a way to make it louder.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I have never noticed the turn signal annunciator ...

... which to me is a very good thing! To me things are supposed to work unnoticed by me.

As for driving long distances with my signal on - not a problem either. When I change lanes I rarely take my hand off the lever.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Re: I have never noticed the turn signal annunciator ...

msu79gt82 said:
... which to me is a very good thing! To me things are supposed to work unnoticed by me.

As for driving long distances with my signal on - not a problem either. When I change lanes I rarely take my hand off the lever.
I'm with you. I don't like it too loud. And I usually hold the lever until I'm in the next lane. If I'm turing at an intersection I don't always hold it....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just picked up my SS X on june 1 and by june 2 i noticed the flasher unit was soooo quiet i didn't know if it was on. I do generally signal, I also keep hand on when changing lanes, etc.....but I still felt a somewhat louder 'click' would be helpful without sounding like a bomb about to go off. I just turned in an ml320, and that flasher was about right, so, it can be done! I also wonder: what about the sound when you lock the doors with the remote? I can't hear any click unless right near the X, and the light flashing is not really adequate to let you know you locked up. I am a newby though...will it click louder or the horn make a low beep if I hit the lock twice or something? Any suggestions appreciated. Besides these two issues...wow, the X is as awesome as I had heard!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for the google suggestions. I guess I'll ask the dealer about replacing the flasher unit with one that is louder, or my local mechanic if the dealer doesn't come up with one. :cool:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Going to make mine a little louder

The quiet turn signal would not be that big a deal if it wasn't for the fact that I can't see the arrows blink on the dash because they are hidden by the steering wheel. I know I could adjust the wheel but when it is at a comfortable setting for me I can't see them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like quiet turn signals also. In fact, the difference in interior sound levels overall compared to our Jeep Grand Cherokee is incredible...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
After a few more days of driving the X (picked up on 5-31) I'm starting to like the quiet turn signals. It's nice during a long wait for a left turn at a red light not to hear the constant sound of the blinker.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
edepa said:
I just picked up my SS X on june 1 and by june 2 i noticed the flasher unit was soooo quiet i didn't know if it was on. I do generally signal, I also keep hand on when changing lanes, etc.....but I still felt a somewhat louder 'click' would be helpful without sounding like a bomb about to go off. I just turned in an ml320, and that flasher was about right, so, it can be done! I also wonder: what about the sound when you lock the doors with the remote? I can't hear any click unless right near the X, and the light flashing is not really adequate to let you know you locked up. I am a newby though...will it click louder or the horn make a low beep if I hit the lock twice or something? Any suggestions appreciated. Besides these two issues...wow, the X is as awesome as I had heard!
Hi Edepa - hit the lock twice, you will hear a nice electronic beep. I always do this, like the sound. My Outback would honk the horn on locking, we disconnected that one...

·
Registered
392 Posts
ghost said:

Hi Edepa - hit the lock twice, you will hear a nice electronic beep. I always do this, like the sound. My Outback would honk the horn on locking, we disconnected that one...

Thanks for the heads up, my son has an rsx and also told me to click twice. The "electronic beep" is still kind of low and hard to hear if you have much traffic around you. It does work great and loud enuf if i am locking up car in my garage <smile>. Maybe the ears aren't what they used to be on me, and the X is fine! Seriously, if this is the worst thing i can find on the X, I'll stay super impressed!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Am I the only one with sensitive hearing??

Funny how everyone says the clicker sound is very low. I think it is rather loud and view that as part of my "cons list."
I have had people even comment about the loud blinker as well as when speaking to someone on my mobile while in the MDX.
You think mine is too loud??:8: Shall I break out with my decibel meter??

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have never heard the turn indicator and it does not seem to cut itself off as easily after a turn as others I have had. I just wish an audible warning would come on if blinker left on for 1 minute or so.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: Am I the only one with sensitive hearing??

PolyTat said:
Funny how everyone says the clicker sound is very low. I think it is rather loud and view that as part of my "cons list."
I have had people even comment about the loud blinker as well as when speaking to someone on my mobile while in the MDX.
You think mine is too loud??:8: Shall I break out with my decibel meter??
poly, maybe we need to swap flasher units? sounds like yours is just what i'm looking for! well, shows everybody has there own opinion and you can't satisfy everyone!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Loud enough

They must have changed the blinkers in March because my trun signals are quite loud. In fact, after reading this thread, I checked them out and found I could here them over the radio even when I turned it up louder than normal.

I think the "X"'s blinkers are even louder than my Accord's. Maybe the noiseless blinkers can be retrofitted to be louder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts