Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an interesting discussing going on in one of the threads with regards to where Acura is in the whole luxury market spectrum, and while I would love to chime in on discussion on that, I don't want to hijack that thread, which was about something else...but in reading some of the comments, it got me thinking and I am interested in this community's input on this...and while this can apply to any generation of MDX or any audience of MDX owners, because I primarily drive my 2G MDX, I thought I'd start the thread here. So...what I am wanting to know is (and this would be great for potential MDX buyers who may be lurking)....

1. Why did you choose your 2G MDX (or any MDX) over other options (I assume there were other options rather than something like an inheritance)? It may come down to what features you liked, etc.
2. Over what other cars (make/model/year) did you choose your MDX and why? (this is kind of related to question one)
3. Would you buy another MDX again?
4. Where would you rate your MDX in the overall lifetime ownership of cars? Is it one of the best? Have you had better? Worse?

So I will start with my answers, which are only my opinion, based on where I am in life:

1. I chose the 2G MDX because I loved the drive and handling. I had a 1G MDX (and still do) but I found the handling great on my 2G...and I drove several of them before choosing the one I ultimately now own. I have three kids and what they like is the rear entertainment system, the rear heated seats, the comfortable seats, and the sound system of the vehicle. They also liked how the vehicle looked compared to the 1G (which they said looked old, boxy and something out of a stunt truck inventory - their words, not mine. They said the 2G is more curvy. I don't care about aesthetics much. I do like the ELS sound system and the bass in the car. A 7-seater is a must as we seem to haul other people in the car occasionally.

2. I looked at an Audi Q7, a Toyota Highlander (this was very high on the list before I got the MDX) BMW X5, Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot. Loved the layout in the Audi, but my mechanic and online reviews seemed to have consensus that the Q7 suffers from countless electrical and electronic issues. I just did not like the X5 for some reason (I found the seats rigid) and the reviews on it are mixed. The reviews of the Acura MDX are extremely positive. And regardless of whether we think something is considered a luxury car or not (which is not even a criteria for me), my main considerations are practicality, and reliability. The only reason I am not driving the Highlander is because the MDX is more kid-friendly for the RES, seating, etc., and seems to have more features for passengers (like the rear climate controls). The Pilot I ruled out due to not as many features for the driver and passengers (this goes to the practicality aspect), but I loved the space though.

3. I would definitely buy another MDX again, but probably a late 2G - I have heard those are the best model year of the entire MDX line in history. In fact, while I am nowhere close to looking for one, my daughter and I love visiting the dealership to sit inside new ones to compare and contrast (the dealership also offers free donuts so that is a nice byproduct of our visit). She brings a clipboard to take notes - likely a future MDX owner - and the dealership is happy to let her sit in any car at any time).. Not sure what I think of the dual screens on the new MDX, but the cars are very comfortable.

4. I would say after a string of bad experience with used cars, and a so-so experience with a new car, both my MDXes have been a breath of fresh air. They are used, so I certainly don't expect problem-free, but my other used cars in the past all had issues within the first week and month of owning, which should have been a red flag. So many people, however, rave about how Acuras and Honda are fairly reliable and just need regular maintenance, which won't break the bank. So far, I am seeing this is the case...again, there are things here and there that pop up but nothing serious (yet), which is a good sign...and the great thing is, the things that pop up, I just post to this community and the help and support here have been awesome.

So...interested in your feedback, opinions and experiences. Thanks in advance for your time

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I have been looking for a few months at MDX's I just made an account today on this form because I wanted to tell you that I found your post very helpful. We're thinking about driving 3 hours away to New Jersey to check out a 2011 MDX Tech package With 96 thousand miles on it, price at 15k currently. I have been wondering why the 2007 to 2009 mdx's are so much cheaper with the same mileage. thank you

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My wife and I have been looking for a few months at MDX's I just made an account today on this form because I wanted to tell you that I found your post very helpful. We're thinking about driving 3 hours away to New Jersey to check out a 2011 MDX Tech package With 96 thousand miles on it, price at 15k currently. I have been wondering why the 2007 to 2009 mdx's are so much cheaper with the same mileage. thank you
Welcome aboard!! :29:

My guess for the cheaper price (for '07-09 MDX's) are their OVERALL AGE (annual car depreciation)...one thing to consider as well, although I can't personally attest to it as I have a 2009 MDX, but I've seen quite a few posts concerning a particular late 2nd MDX ('10-'13) PROBLEM from owners of these models, which comprises EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION (not seen in the 2007-2009 MDX)...just another thing to consider :surprise:

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...77361-my-2012-mdx-burning-oil-any-others.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...21897-excessive-oil-consumption-question.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...-acura-admit-j37-oil-consumption-problem.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...7-2013/128570-another-oil-burning-thread.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...2013/125914-oil-consumption-found-source.html

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Owning the MDX didn´t began with searching for an MDX...

My specific needs were:
I need cargo space
I need higher ground clearance
I need big tires (Not big wheels)
I need 5 person capacity at the minimum
I need it to be Off Road capable
I need it to be 4x4 (Low Range wasn't a requirement just 4x4 or AWD all the time)
I need it to be as reliable as my previous Hondas (My case Acuras)
I need it to be somewhat modern and luxurious
I need it to be powerful (Not just adequate)

So I first started with the obvious..
BMW X5 AWD from 2006-2008 with the big V8 but quickly got into a sudden stop... Those things were completely out of my budget! So I stepped down to pre-2006 X5s which were cheaper, I drove the 2004 4.6IS X5 and it was really good! power on demand and it felt really planted! but never the less when searching around I found out that they weren't that reliable to begin with, Lots of issues with front CVDs and the Air Bags, Also VANOS unit getting screwed up so fixing it and replacing the timing chain costing up to 7000 bucks to repair wasn´t at all in my maintenance emergencies budget and they also looked very outdated inside and out so it only had power to its credit.

Next was a Acura MDX 1st Gen 2005-2006.. Now this was a mixed bag, for starters I didn`t like and I still dont like the looks of it, Looks outaded and the inside cabin looked too much as my Acura TL-S 2002... So it wasnt ticking those Modern and Luxurious boxes.. Next was the power which was really underwhelming.. The MDX I personally drove really struggled off the line which I kinda got used to and said well I wont be drag racing this thing right? but then the highway passing power was nearly non-existent at about 50-60mph and up the MDX just stops giving power and really struggled to get to 70mph quickly (Which is the maximum speed limit in California anyway) off the ramp. So it was a let down for sure... I still wanted its capabilities as I've seen a couple of russian Off road videos with it and I was confident It will get me to the off road places I wanted to go, also Honda reliability (except for early 1g transmission) was up to par with my previous experiences.

Next was the Jeep Grand Cherokee HEMI from 2007-2008.. This was an excellent choice as it ticked almost all my boxes in needs. Excellent Off Road heritage, Somewhat reliable as per the online reviews and the outside design was to my liking. The model I was looking at was the HEMI top of the line with all the off road goodies including front and rear locking diffs. This was getting all right and it just got better when I test drive it.. Jesus Christ the HEMI Power?? Insane off the line power and highway power was overkill that thing really moved (Still way faster than my 2G MDX). But that was it, In the Test Drive I noticed 2 things... That thing liked to eat gas (Way more than my 2G MDX) and the Interior looked pre-2000 and I am not kidding! That thing looked older than my 2002 TL-S in the inside... Buttons were squishy 90s era feeling and sized, Dashboard was boring to hell to look at, Controls and Stereo layout was as old as my 2002 TL-S and remember the one I test drove was a 2008 model!!! I felt like I wansnt upgrading at all in that thing... So that is how I stopped from looking at those...

Finally the 2G MDX came around... Now this was in the same scenario as the BMW X5 from 2006-2008 the 2G MDX was completely out of my Budget.. I even when to test drive it just for kicks and man did I fell in love? Interior was light-years away of anything I looked at (Even the BMW X5 2008), Power was insanely better than the 1G MDX I test drove but not the point of being a HEMI GC but annihilated the 1G MDX 0to60 in Numbers don`t really make it justice the 2G MDX just launches off the line and the highway power was on par with the HEMI V8 in my experience. SH-AWD System was world class leading back in the day so I knew it was good.. And the exterior design is still one of my favorite and has aged incredibly well (2008 Grand Cherokee now looks really old compared to the 2G MDX). It was the car I wanted period... Thankfully my Parents saw my excitement and helped me bought the 2G MDX so that is how I ended up with it, The rest is history.... Best SUV I ever tested to date even better handling characteristics than the 3G MDX I drove after it, I will trade off that 0 to 60 time for better cornering any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The market was quite a bit different in '12. We don't typically buy "luxury" brands for our road trip vehicles because they're driven 20k+ miles/year. But after looking at the Highlander and Pilot, the MDX was not even $2k more expensive and was a significantly better vehicle. We're at 100k miles now and haven't done anything but fluids and tires. Brake pads are even original. It's very cheap to maintain for what it is.

We're considering a '17 but not sure we're in a big hurry. The Mazda CX-9 is impressive as well and quite a bit cheaper with arguably a nicer interior on the signature models.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you for the very kind words. This was my hope, that a thread like this would help prospective buyers of MDXes in their decision making. Some more thoughts since I wrote the original post:

The 2G MDX, despite the tech heavy bent, seems rather intuitive in terms of how to use the technology. After I picked it up, I sat in a parking lot in the rain tinkering with various functions of the car. Surprisingly, despite my rather limited intellectual ability, I figured many things out myself and even over time there are not many things where I needed to refer to the manual in terms of how to use the car's functions. With the Audi and BMW during the lengthy test drives, many things i could not figure out and I did not bother looking.

The Highlander was also very high on my list before the MDX due to probably the most spacious third row seating of any car in which I have been. But ultimately I determined I would be hauling extra kids around so the space concern in terms of priority was negligible at best.

Now...what I am about to write may be somewhat controversial and obviously subjective. As mentioned I do not care about how a car is regarded in terms of luxury or aesthetics. Except one thing. I believe subconsciously I chose the MDX also for a reason many would probably not consider. I am a single dad who has my kids most of the time. I am eventually hoping to get into a relationship again (I was married for 18 years). While I certainly do not want any potential partner to be like me, I do want them to share my mindset with regards to not being showy, not being pretentious, etc., with a bent on practicality, but not at the rate of being cheap. This is why I ruled out the German SUVs because it seems, at least to me, that they would give a different message of my worldview than the MDX would. I have detected that the MDX is more regarded as a family car but not so much to achieve tied down minivan status. It is true people should not judge others by their cars but unfortunately people do, and at least in this case if they do then I am not emanating an image I do not wish to project. MDX owners seem to have a good reputation and are in general viewed as responsible adults who obey traffic laws and have families often comprised of young kids. That is not to say other car owners dont have this trait but for me only upon introspection have I considered perhaps this is to a small degree why i chose the mdx. It is by no means a traditional chick magnet (and i wouldnt want to attract those types anyway) but if people are going to form opinions on people which everyone does, I want to at least project something that is closer to being accurate insofar as reflecting my personality

Some other thoughts: the 110v plug in my MDX is handy for plugging in laptops for guests. The rear climate control panel is better than most other 7 seaters in terms of ease of use. Cupholder space in the door is appreciated by the kids as is the detachable remote for the RES that functions back as an onboard remote when snapped back in.

The little storage cubby in the trunk is great to store extra items. I have used that more than I thought. The customization of many functions of the car via the MID is great. And I figured most of it out myself. The storage nook on the front passenger side is great for additional storage. I put a box of klennex in there for my son who always seems to blow his nose

The only surprise on the 2G MDX after I bought it was how brutally bad it is on gas. It made my old XC90 look like a slightly more fuel efficient vehicle. I would also say that the paint is definitely far superior on German vehicles.

That being said, no regrets. Glad I am a 2G owner and will be for quite some time.

With regards to your question about early 2Gs being cheaper part of it would apply to any car. The older it is has a direct correlation to price. But for comparison purpose I bought my 08 MDX at the end of March as a kind of birthday present to myself. My MDX is a 2008 and happens to have every option available in that model year. It had 117,000 km which is like 72,000 miles. And I paid $15,000 CDN plus tax which is something like $11,000 US. That is only a $4000 difference from your potential 2011 and for a 3 year difference that is more than reasonable. In actuality I got a stellar deal on my car and even now when i check prices they average at least 2.5-3K more CDN than what i paid. So that narrows the gap even more. Bear also in mind the later generation 2Gs have a refreshed and improved navigation graphics, built in bluetooth streaming and other small improvements. So I would say that the price difference may not be that great. If you are comparing a 2006 1G to a 2007 2G the price difference is significant but I do not see the same dynamic in play within the earlier/latter 2G family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
I wanted to like a comparable year/price X5 when I purchased my 2011 MDX...test drove a few...just didn't compare comfort/feature wise to me...other than the pano sunroof...

I have had such good luck with my 02...I stuck with Acura..glad I did.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I started looking for a larger family hauler back in 2013 to add to our existing 06 TSX and 08 RDX. The kid was big into school and summer track and the summer league had meets from one coast to another during the summer break (we put +20,000 miles per year). The RDX was large enough when he was in middle school once I added a roofbox for those trips.

The MDX was at the top of my list because of familiarity of the brand (Honda/Acura owner since 1991). I also wanted something sporty to drive, excellent handling, comfortable, luxury touches, tech, and reliable to take 150,000-200,000 miles with just routine maint. I wasn't worried about mpgs because the Interstate speed limit is between 75-80 mph and I drive 5-10 mph faster than that. Handling, braking, safety, HP/TQ, and sportiness are more important to me at those speeds. Acura MDX was the only vehicle that checked all the boxes (especially the +150,000 mile reliability check box).

I was also looking at the 3rd Gen MDX tech; but, those were brand new. A 14 fwd tech was close to $50,000 compared to a used 10-12 MDX Adv version at $10,000 to $18,000 cheaper with under 30K on the odo. It was pretty much a no-brainer in 2014 to pick a 2nd Gen over a fwd 14 MDX tech at the time. It took a while to find a MDX Adv+Ent in the color combo I wanted with 4/50K warranty available (option for Acura Care because of magnetic suspension).

Found my current MDX in Colorado +5hrs away at a Honda Dealership. Negotiated over the phone and internet (knocked $4500 off asking price). The carfax came back clean (corp lease return) and the Honda dealership owner was using it as his personal daily driver. 3 1/2 years later and +63,000 miles later (93,000 miles on odo), I haven't regretted my decision.

I've had a few +14 MDX loaners when I had warranty work done on my RDX and MDX. I am so glad I went with the 2nd Gen over the 3rd Gen MDX. Even now, I'm waiting until the 4th Gen MDX and 3rd RDX (skipping the current model years for both) for my replacements down the road because they a just too soft compared to the 1st Gen RDX and 2nd Gen MDX.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I started looking for a larger family hauler back in 2013 to add to our existing 06 TSX and 08 RDX. The kid was big into school and summer track and the summer league had meets from one coast to another during the summer break (we put +20,000 miles per year). The RDX was large enough when he was in middle school once I added a roofbox for those trips.

The MDX was at the top of my list because of familiarity of the brand (Honda/Acura owner since 1991). I also wanted something sporty to drive, excellent handling, comfortable, luxury touches, tech, and reliable to take 150,000-200,000 miles with just routine maint. I wasn't worried about mpgs because the Interstate speed limit is between 75-80 mph and I drive 5-10 mph faster than that. Handling, braking, safety, HP/TQ, and sportiness are more important to me at those speeds. Acura MDX was the only vehicle that checked all the boxes (especially the +150,000 mile reliability check box).

I was also looking at the 3rd Gen MDX tech; but, those were brand new. A 14 fwd tech was close to $50,000 compared to a used 10-12 MDX Adv version at $10,000 to $18,000 cheaper with under 30K on the odo. It was pretty much a no-brainer in 2014 to pick a 2nd Gen over a fwd 14 MDX tech at the time. It took a while to find a MDX Adv+Ent in the color combo I wanted with 4/50K warranty available (option for Acura Care because of magnetic suspension).

Found my current MDX in Colorado +5hrs away at a Honda Dealership. Negotiated over the phone and internet (knocked $4500 off asking price). The carfax came back clean (corp lease return) and the Honda dealership owner was using it as his personal daily driver. 3 1/2 years later and +63,000 miles later (93,000 miles on odo), I haven't regretted my decision.

I've had a few +14 MDX loaners when I had warranty work done on my RDX and MDX. I am so glad I went with the 2nd Gen over the 3rd Gen MDX. Even now, I'm waiting until the 4th Gen MDX and 3rd RDX (skipping the current model years for both) for my replacements down the road because they a just too soft compared to the 1st Gen RDX and 2nd Gen MDX.
I don't expect them to ever build another drivers SUV like the 2nd Gen MDX are 1st Gen RDX..unfortunately...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I needed to replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was looking at a used Jeep Compass that was being sold at my Acura dealer. I hated the Compass when I test drove it. I was about to leave when the salesman showed me the 2007 MDX. It was very clean inside and out and it was close to my budget. The dealer let me test the MdX for a whole weekend and I was sold on it. I didn't't plan on buying an Acura because I thought it was too much of a luxury vehicle for my budget but I'm glad I got it. I work on the weekends as a DJ and I needed something that I could haul my gear around in. The third row was a nice surprise as well. My family loves the MDX and I always get compliments on it. This has been the best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I always felt a vehicle can either be a tool or appliance to get the job done OR a vehicle is an extension of you and it can support your lifestyle. Acura does a good job of making vehicles that can supporting your lifestyle and looking good in the process.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally was shopping for used XC90s and X5s. Had deposits on a '10 XC90 V8 (that motor is droolworthy), and then an '11 X5 35i. Realized the XC90 interior was still stuck in 2003, and I already have a sporty but unreliable BMW, so I don't need two. Checked an 08 MDX locally, and then after research went for a 10+ MDX. Reliability and ownership costs attracted me, and the forums seemed to be free of huge issues. Unfortunately, I didn't find the oil consumption threads back then, but I wouldn't have had a good way to check on the test drive anyways.

Would I buy one again? If I'm not in the position to get something new or more fun as my daily (heart set on the Jag F-Pace or X5 M), I'd look at a 2012-2013 MDX Advance with an extended warranty, to cover for the consumption and active suspension concerns.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A few years ago the idea of buying a performance SUV was laughable. Trucks and SUVs are for work and travel, sports cars are for performance driving. Things started to change when I stopped buying ford trucks and I bought a Honda Ridgeline. This vehicle was an eye opener. It can do pretty much anything my old F150 could do but it could drive like a nimble mid-size car. It was easy to park and not too bad on gas. I really liked the J35, especially the time I out ran my buddies 2009 5.4L F150. As time went on, it became apparent I was using the RL more as a car than truck. I needed less bed and more interior so...

I considered Audi, BMW and Volvo. But the prices and reliability were an issue. All domestics were out. So it was down to the truck based SUVs of Nissan and Toyota and Acura/Honda. I would have considered the Pilot but I wanted 5k towing and a better AWD system. I test drove the Pathfinder and 4runner, and they were OK, but pretty rough. I didn't need a truck platform anymore. I was spoiled with the handling of the RL. So I came home to Honda... with an Acura. Its everything I loved about the RL and more. Especially more performance. I actually enjoy driving my X as a sport SUV. I have a S2000 also and pound for pound is one of the best sports cars money can buy. However I drive it 1% of the time. So 99% of the time its nice to drive some thing that can hold its own as a performance car.

Usable, sporty and reliable. Fun but practical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.