Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

and before anyone asks, this was done on the exact same road at the same spot in the same direction with the same fuel load. the way the 2016 briefly holds back off the line definitely contributes to the slower 0-XXX times. ZF 9HP sucks.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If you wanted speed,you should have gone with the x5 m edition. The difference looks to be less then .5 seconds to 100. The transmission sucks because it is less then .5 seconds slower to 100? Again a 1st world problem. I can count on 1 finger how many times I have gone 100. I guess I'll never get that .5 seconds back. I guess I'm being a little sarcastic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea and the X5 would be twice as expensive and use even more fuel. the transmission sucks because it's not very responsive and has a very weird way of downshifting. 9 gears is also just too many, it basically rules out the paddles if you're going any speed higher than like 50. you have to spend like 3 minutes pulling the left paddle before you get into a gear that'd give you decent acceleration. the 9 speed is good from like 5 mph to like 30 mph where you can utilize the super short 1st gear but after that it becomes a nuisance. and what's the point of 3 extra gears if there's no extra performance to be gained? "fuel economy fuel economy" i know but that's also almost unchanged.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Basic rule of thumb.. Launch it before going to any assumptions.
The 9 Speed is faster in any review you can find, That is because they brake launch the car.. Not just floor it to 60 from idle.

2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD 0-60 mph 6.2 | Quarter mile 14.7
2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD 0-60 mph 5.9 | Quarter mile 14.4

Its not ridiculously faster but I dunno what you expect.. 1 whole second faster? Do you realize how fast is 5.9 seconds? That is what the old TL Type-S was doing with the 5 Speed AUTO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 9 Speed is faster in any review you can find, That is because they brake launch the car.. Not just floor it to 60 from idle.

Its not ridiculously faster but I dunno what you expect.. 1 whole second faster? Do you realize how fast is 5.9 seconds? That is what the old TL Type-S was doing with the 5 Speed AUTO.
i did launch it. full brake, full gas, but it holds back. notice the difference in how much each of them rev before you set off. I did the EXACT same procedure for each test. I'm not expecting that much but I didn't think it'd actually be slower.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Cant be slower when every single review out there has a faster time... They are lying or they did something different, pick your poison.

·
Registered
136 Posts

That doesn't really simulate real world driving so if that's the case, the 14-15 would appear faster to those of us who drive it off the track. But I agree, if you wanted speed, buy something else. Tesla Model X does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, quarter mile at 11.3 :surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was 2016 running on sports mode, normal or comfort? Officially it can do 0-60 in 6.2 secs. or so. I did it in 6.3 secs. when I had it using paddle shift of course in sports mode.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea look it's in S

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sport =/= S.

S = Sequential shifting
Sport selection is within IDS.

Whites are too bright to read the IDS mode, but I assume you had both on Sport IDS. But yes, I do agree that your launch is different on the two vehicles. The 2014 launched from 3k RPM and the 2016 from 2k, so you're launching at different torque. Is this an updated transmission software 2016?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sport =/= S.

S = Sequential shifting
Sport selection is within IDS.

Whites are too bright to read the IDS mode, but I assume you had both on Sport IDS. But yes, I do agree that your launch is different on the two vehicles. The 2014 launched from 3k RPM and the 2016 from 2k, so you're launching at different torque. Is this an updated transmission software 2016?
idk it came right from the dealer like 3 weeks ago. menus are still ridiculously laggy, just as bad as it was with the 2014. we need the 2003 MDX back, that was the best one.

·
Registered
837 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ApJZzXnt_Q

and before anyone asks, this was done on the exact same road at the same spot in the same direction with the same fuel load. the way the 2016 briefly holds back off the line definitely contributes to the slower 0-XXX times. ZF 9HP sucks.
Wrong! Car and Driver instrumented test shows the 2016 beating the 2014 to 60 mph by 1/2 a second. The video you posted is subject to bias and jack wagon error.

And you should be ticketed for driving like a jack wagon while taking video. Was the 2016 a loaner? Aren't you a nice customer.

Acura MDX Reviews - Acura MDX Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wrong! Car and Driver instrumented test shows the 2016 beating the 2014 to 60 mph by 1/2 a second. The video you posted is subject to bias and jack wagon error.

And you should be ticketed for driving like a jack wagon while taking video. Was the 2016 a loaner? Aren't you a nice customer.

Acura MDX Reviews - Acura MDX Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
lol so much saltiness on this forum... maybe they weren't brake torquing it and i was, but in my 2 independent tests where i did the EXACT same procedure for both cars with the same settings for each of the cars and even about the same fuel load the 2016 went a bit slower than the 2014. and this 2016 is the new lease so yea why not collect some data. #itsalease #itgoesback

·
Registered
837 Posts
lol so much saltiness on this forum... maybe they weren't brake torquing it and i was, but in my 2 independent tests where i did the EXACT same procedure for both cars with the same settings for each of the cars and even about the same fuel load the 2016 went a bit slower than the 2014. and this 2016 is the new lease so yea why not collect some data. #itsalease #itgoesback
You really expect people to believe that it is your new lease and it is going back to the dealer for a refund because of your biased jack wagon 0-60 test???? Try again.

And from your previous posts, the MDX is your Dad's car. And he doesn't let you drive the E63. And for good reason I see.

And you said your Dad leases a 2014 MDX. So 2 years into his lease he is now leasing a 2016 MDX too plus has the E63? And now that you showed him your cool test he is taking the 2016 back?

And nice how you are running the piss out of the 2016 MDX with only 284 miles on it. Not even broken in yet. What a nice thoughtful person you are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You really expect people to believe that it is your new lease and it is going back to the dealer for a refund because of your biased jack wagon 0-60 test???? Try again.

And from your previous posts, the MDX is your Dad's car. And he doesn't let you drive the E63. And for good reason I see.

And you said your Dad leases the MDX and had a 2014. So now he is leasing 2 MDXs plus has the E63?
ok calm down the 2014 lease went back like 3 weeks ago and now he got the 2016. and yes it is for a very good reason i don't get to use the E63, i don't nearly deserve it. there's only 1 mdx in the driveway not 2, and it's the 2016 now. and by #itgoesback i mean it goes back in 3 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've found by reading some posts that a lot, not all, of mdx owners don't appreciate anything to do with performance. They seem to get mad when you want, or question anything to do with performance. How dare you floor it! The thing with the official road tests are they do a lot of tests before they come to a conclusion. One run isn't really fair. It's hard to tell from the video but it seemed one had wheel spin while the other didn't, or it was less, and that looked like it accounted for the slower time. What happens when you turn on the skid control (I have an old mdx so not sure if that is just turned off when sports mode is active)? Or most importantly try getting them to take off from the same rpms. That would make a big difference. I liked the video btw. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
837 Posts
ok calm down the 2014 lease went back like 3 weeks ago and now he got the 2016. and yes it is for a very good reason i don't get to use the E63, i don't nearly deserve it. there's only 1 mdx in the driveway not 2, and it's the 2016 now. and by #itgoesback i mean it goes back in 3 years.
The E63 is very nice. Obviously your family has money. Why didn't your Dad just get a G63AMG?

I am guessing your Dad is some sort of professional. Doctor, lawyer, accountant or engineer. He has good taste and seems damn cool. I wish my Dad bought nice cars when I was a kid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The E63 is very nice. Obviously your family has money. Why didn't your Dad just get a G63AMG?

I am guessing your Dad is some sort of professional. Doctor, lawyer, accountant or engineer. He has good taste and seems damn cool. I wish my Dad bought nice cars when I was a kid.
yea because he bought one $100k mercedes must mean he's just ready to go out and buy another $140k one lol... how much money do you think he has haha, and yea he's a patent lawyer. i definitely tried to get them to buy like a 2008-2010 G55 (V8 Kompressor is more fun than the V8 biturbo and much better sounding) but they both think it's too ugly and too expensive. it's also about 40x less practical than an MDX, but oh man it's an awesome vehicle. it's a shame most never get used for what they're really capable of. and it is also nice to have 1 leased car that you don't need to care about.

Reactions: E92Vancouver

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you ever really go to the drag strip one day you'll see that your 1/4 mile can be anywhere from 1.0 to 1.5 seconds off depending on many many factors

Hell I've seen YouTube vids of dumasses trying to drive a hellcat down the strip getting 14.0 second ET's!!

I've got the same cars in my driveway as your dad ... But I make sure no one abuses them .. Probably because I paid for them

Enjoy learning to drag race that 2016!!
Don't get so butthurt over these forum goers criticizing your thread and your poor logic ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts