Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I filled her up when the computer showed 10 miles of range left. The guage needle was right on the empty slash.

I filled up 17.750 gallons. So I had 1.5 gallons left? Shouldn't that give me at least (pessimistically speaking) 20-25 miles of range? Or is the "fuel reserve" EXTRA on top of the 19.2 gallons?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
By default, there is around 20 miles of gasoline reserve with the computer calculation. In which if trip computer calculate the fuel correctly, once it reach 0 mile remaining, you could only able to drive 20 more miles. In your case, the computer does did a great job on the calculation. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's news to me. But good news. I haven't thought about even using my trip computer for that yet. Actually still too hung up on the Navi to even look at the trip computer much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Shortcut?

Does anyone know if there is a button or voice shortcut to the trip computer from the main nav screen?

Its a real pain to reach over to the info button and then hit the small "Trip Computer" touchscreen button.

OverTime

·
Registered
671 Posts
The 'fuel reserve' is like setting your alarm clock ahead -- you always know the real time no matter what the clock says! I reset my X to more accurately tell me the estimated range, and now if it says I have 10 miles left I'd better get to the nearest refueling station! :cool:

·
Registered
249 Posts
How is it set

Any explination of how the estimated range is set?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: Shortcut?

OverTime said:
Does anyone know if there is a button or voice shortcut to the trip computer from the main nav screen?

Its a real pain to reach over to the info button and then hit the small "Trip Computer" touchscreen button.

OverTime
Unfortunately there's no short-cut or voice command for the Trip Computer. Hopefully Acura will resolve this with the next NAV DVD release in 2004. Rather than using the touch screen, you can use the joystick; down one, then click.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The last time I ran my trip computer to zero I took 18.173 gallons in the 18.3 gallon tank so it was very accurate.

My general rule of thumb is when the gas light comes on I reset the trip odometer and know I have 35 to 40 miles left. This has not failed me yet.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I stand corrected. I just checked on the owner link and my tank is 19.2 gallons. For some reason I thought it was 18.2.

So the computer left me with a gallon to go.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Re: Shortcut?

Arzoo said:

Unfortunately there's no short-cut or voice command for the Trip Computer. Hopefully Acura will resolve this with the next NAV DVD release in 2004. Rather than using the touch screen, you can use the joystick; down one, then click.

i think you can also just press the info/ac button and then say "number 2"

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: How is it set

HrdTsk said:
Any explination of how the estimated range is set?
HrdTsk,

If you are asking how to reset the miles-to-empty offset on the trip computer, the procedure is as follows:

This applies only to the vehicles with Nav Systems. There is a way to do this for non-Nav MDXs also, but I am not sure what the exact steps are.

1. Start the car and Press OK on the disclaimer screen.

2. Press and hold the keys in this sequence: Menu, Map/Guide, and Cancel. Continue to hold all three for 5 seconds. You will access service menu.

3. Press Trip Calibrate. You can now change the temperature reading offset and the miles-to-empty offset. (default offset is set to -20 miles - trip computer shows 0 when there is approximately 20 miles left)

I changed my setting to -10 miles offset. It works for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts