Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2015 SH-AWD MDX that I'm planning on getting snow tires.

I've been served well in the past with TireRack and Blizzaks.

The TireRack recommendations are small 17" wheels (Bridgestone Blizzak WS80). Complete price with wheels and tires: $1,012.80

I can always customize and upsize, but wanted some opinions.

We live on a steep hill, on will do occasional snow driving; but this is more a day to day city car with an occasional vacation trip.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
520 Posts
My thought: The price difference to go up to an 18" setup might not be that much and it looks a LOT better

I had a 17" setup on my 2nd gen at first and it looked funny. Then I got a great price on a set of used 18" OEM wheels, sold the 17" setup and IMO it looks worlds better on 18's. Also the shorter sidewalls make the handling feel less floppy than it was on 17's with higher-profile tires.

As far as snow tires vs all-seasons ... for your typical use some would consider it overkill but it's cheap safety for you and your family. Even back when snow tires weren't mandatory here in Quebec I'd always get the best I could and I've never regretted spending that money. It's allowed me to avoid some incidents that would have been impossible to avoid on lesser tires - there's no way to put a price on that.

Reading this really makes you think about winter driving: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a27135/peter-egan-cards-in-the-snow/ ... True, some accidents are unavoidable, but many CAN be avoided by having the best tires for the conditions.

PS: off-topic, but the same thinking applies to doing HPDE events. It gives you knowledge & experience of how to control a car at the limit. When an emergency arises, you have a whole toolset of skills to let you avoid accidents. Makes you safer in something you do every day of your life ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blacksheep, thanks for the advice. We moved to Portland from Honolulu, and have been working on our driving skills (taken both HPDE and skid-car training classes, which were fabulous).

While it does seem to possibly be overkill, we do live on a steep hill and our first year SUV (no AWD) refused to climb the first hill with just 8 inches of snow.

----------------

So if going up from 17" to 18" is an improvement in looks and handling; why not then go to 19?

·
Registered
520 Posts
So if going up from 17" to 18" is an improvement in looks and handling; why not then go to 19?
That's something to be decided between you and your wallet. I've found 18's to be the sweet spot between price and performance/looks.The 19's were a LOT more $$ last time I checked but it's your call ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts