Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the time over the blizzard driving nurses to work, I decided to look up some snow plow info. Anyone have any experience with the product at this web site?

www.superplow.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not Seriously!!!

You aren't serious about hanging a plow on an MDX, are you?

Plowing beats the living crap out of a vehicle. Mounting a plow on a unitized body vehicle is very problematic. Plus the MDX doesn't have 4W low. If you're really going to try it, look at one of the lightweight polycarbonate plows available for vehicles like a Ford Ranger.

You're better off buying a big snowmobile.

http://www.thefosterfamily.org/snowplow/
FYI a snowplow site with numerous links to manufacturers

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looks like you are mesmerized with one (or some) of those nurses, huh?? Just kidding, but please don't hang a snow plow on your X.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I'd be impressed!!!

The first person to go out and hang a Meyer or Western plow on the front of their MDX would get some special huge prize that I'd have to think up :confused:

:2:

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you hang a plow off your X, then I'm selling mine the next day....that's like having the Munster Family moving next store to you, decreasing your property values! :p

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Graffel:

___If you truly need a plow, do yourself a favor and purchase an ATV w/ a plow instead. I have been using mine for this exact same activity for years and believe me; nothing runs better than a Polaris 500 Explorer w/ 4’ plow ;) A Cat is pictured however …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Re: I'd be impressed!!!

hondacuraworld said:
The first person to go out and hang a Meyer or Western plow on the front of their MDX would get some special huge prize that I'd have to think up :confused:

:2:
Unless that special huge prize is a new vehicle frame - he probably couldn't use it. :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Graffel:

___To add … I knocked out 4 - 150’ + long drives (including the circles) in ~ 1 hour and 15 minutes this morning which includes riding from home to home with the Explorer. We had a light but deep 8” in my sub last night and a 4x4 ATV w/ plow simply rocks ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
MDX for snow plow

I like to know if I decide to install a snow plow on my existing 2002 MDX would it be okay and handle the required work? This is a touring package vehicle which was upgrade at time of ordering so it would handle towing requirements.

The use for pushing snow would be very low about 8 - 10 times between December and March of each year.

I don't want to do anything that would cause damage to the vehicle as it is a wonderful SUV for everyday use.

Your feedback on this subject would be appreciate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have read that this is NOT a good idea for a crossover SUV with a unibody construction like the MDX. In this respect the MDX is more like a car than a traditional SUV with a truck body on frame design. But I'm no expert.

Have you seen a product that is made to serve this function that is designed for crossover SUVs?

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I don't think this is a good idea......it would probably kill the tranny on the spot :2:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
There are "plows" and there are other options...

You'd have to be insane to mount a "real" plow with hydraulics and everything to anything but a REAL "body on frame" truck, even then I have seen folks with full size turcks that hit a snow drift too hard and have literally damaged their frame.

I have seen Range Rovers with "full on" plows mounted to the front...

OTOH, suppose you have a nice flat drive, use common sense and only do this a few times a season.

Well, then you don't really need a 'real' plow you can get something like one of these:

http://www.solotec.com/action.html

or

http://www.mysnowsport.com/images/minivanplow.jpg

Personally I think a nice SNOW_THRO makes a lot more sense, but if you really want to ...

·
Registered
617 Posts
No way on a MDX....

not made for it...

get a truck if you want to plow snow

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: There are "plows" and there are other options...

renov8r said:
... OTOH, suppose you have a nice flat drive, use common sense and only do this a few times a season.

Well, then you don't really need a 'real' plow you can get something like one of these:

http://www.solotec.com/action.html
Interesting. They recommend their "Driv'n Plow®" for the Pilot (and the Miata!) but their "Driv'n Plow® for SUVS/Pickup" for the MDX. I'm assuming it might be safer to use the smaller (and cheaper) one on the MDX too. But, who knows, maybe the Miata's transmission is more robust???

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think I'd have to stick with a vehicle with low-range capability for plowing purposes, which rules out crossover SUVs as well as several truck-based SUVs without low-range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MDX Snow Plow

Thanks everyone for the information.

I will look at the SOLTEC solution, but will probably just trade-in MDX and get a go truck that has a sporty style. Something with 4-Doors, 4WD maybe the F-250, GMC 2500, etc.

Or keep MDX and buy a used truck just to do snow plowing when needed.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Good luck...

...with whatever you decide.

Personally, I would NOT buy a truck just to plow unless I could MAKE money doing it; I know folks in the construction business and it is darned hard to make money plowing snow.

For general snow clearing of home driveway and small place of business you cannot beat a qaulity snow thrower.

If you live in a MAJOR snow belt area you might consider a heavy lawn & garden tractor with all the snow removal goodies -- it can be a much more cost effective solution than a dedicated truck.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: MDX Snow Plow

dchook said:

Or keep MDX and buy a used truck just to do snow plowing when needed.
It's reading threads like these that I appreciate members who indicate at least their general location as it can put their questions in some sort of context. To me, it's selfish of those who don't, and then ask for advice from the board. :soapbox:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: Re: MDX Snow Plow

HARDROCK said:

It's reading threads like these that I appreciate members who indicate at least their general location as it can put their questions in some sort of context. To me, it's selfish of those who don't, and then ask for advice from the board. :soapbox:
I agree...at least tell us what state you live in!!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Re: Good luck...

renov8r said:
[BIf you live in a MAJOR snow belt area you might consider a heavy lawn & garden tractor with all the snow removal goodies -- it can be a much more cost effective solution than a dedicated truck.
[/B]
That's what I thought, too. Went to my local John Deere dealer and priced a garden tractor big enough to take a snow blower- Then I figured it was cheaper to buy a used, gold-plated, late-model Cadillac and have a plow welded onto it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts