Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DC area and the mid-atlantic states are getting whacked by a nice snow storm. We had no choice but to go out because the wife works at an area hospital and has to be there no matter what.

Well...I just can't say enough about the performance of this vehicle. It is absolutely EXCELLENT!!! Way beyond my expectations.

One thing is to read and see pictures about it here in the threads and another thing is to actually experience it.

Felt very solid and confident. I was doing about 35-40 MPH on the highway and the only time I didn't feel confident was when people in their match box cars or bigger cars than ours were trying to pass us. I "told" them to stay away from me!!!:11: No need to feel like Superman when we'll eventually reach our destination.

And another fun part was going to get a bagel and going through the unplowed parking lot. Didn't try to do figure eights or nothing but was fun enough and great to know that I was able to go through it.:D

Can't wait to go home now because we'll have to do it all over again as well as plow through the snow again to get the X in our garage.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Monsterdx,
Glad to hear that you have had so much fun in the snow with the X. As I am writing this, the snow is still falling in my area. It looks like at least 8" of the white stuff has already accumulated on the ground. A perfect day to drive the X.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
We received a foot of snow Friday night and I agree this X is great in the snow!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
MonsterDX said:

Well...I just can't say enough about the performance of this vehicle. It is absolutely EXCELLENT!!! Way beyond my expectations.

My thoughts also about the MDX and driving in the snow.

Like you I'm concerned about others driving too fast with packed snow on the road. Especially idiots with 4WD that have a false sense of security because of the good traction while accelerating. What they don't realize is that a 4WD is no better than 2WD when braking.

I have driven a lot in the snow in the last 40 years and on numerous occasions have had 4WD vehicles pass me only to see them later in a ditch after losing control.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's amazing just how confident the X makes you feel, as you drive through some serious snow. I can't believe the ease with which the X just keeps on going, no matter how much snow has fallen. The X rules!:2:

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you BaldEagle about those on other SUVs. I had a Suburban passing me at around 50 and a pickup truck doing about 60-65.

They passed me and luckily I didn't see them in a ditch.

As long as they stayed away from me I was happy.

Didn't want to stress out the wife either. She is 5 months pregnant but still has to work no matter what.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it does but at least you'd still have VSA as well which I don't think I ever engaged it this morning. I kept it around 35-40 MPH which made me feel in control at all times but you never know what can happen.

The handling was great either way. Like I mentioned before, I tried to make sure people would stay away from me.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Only the VTM lock will disengage at about 18 MPH. The MDX is basically a AWD when its needed. VTM engages when accelerating, will not engage while coasting. At 30 to 40 (or higher) it still is working.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The VTM-4 ALWAYS works automatically when accelerating from a stop. Under other driving conditions, whenever it senses even a slight loss of traction on either front wheel, it puts an appropriate amount of power to the proper rear wheel (or both rear wheels). The ~18mph cutoff is only for the VTM-4 manual button, which is supposed to be used only if you're stuck, and NEVER on dry pavement.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This vehicle is awsome in the snow. :D :D :D

I went out today and just about all the stores in Manassas were closed or didn't open. (Best Buy, Lowes, Circuit City, Home Depot). So there were plenty of empty parking lots that hadn't been plowed with about 6 - 10 inches of snow. The X went through them with no problem, I floored it from a stop and didn't detect that much wheel spin at all.

My neighbors thought I was crazy going out in this weather, but they don't own MDX's. I even used the X to flatten out the snow at the end of my driveway after the snow plow came through and pushed the snow up at the end of my driveway after I got finished shoveling it.

Can't wait until tomorrow:4: :4: :4:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let me just add .....

Had an emergency plumbing problem today during the serious blizzard where everything here is close as well (churches, school, stores, etc.)

I usually drive an M3, so my winter car is a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have it mildly modded (engine, exhaust, 2 inch lift, etc.) and with large Bridgestone Dueller A/T tires. Went out in the crap 4 times to pick up stuff - did fine, just some spinning here and there. For those that don't know, the Limiteds with a V8 get an AWD Jeep system called Quadradrive.

Gets late and have to run another errand - decide to take the MDX (wife's car) and I'm nervous. HOLY COW!!! Was at least as good as the Jeep (with factory Michelin X-terrains with over 22K on them) and I think a bit better. I think it is better because:

Normally front wheel drive vs. rear wheel of the Jeep

Electronic vs. Mechanical clutch pack of the Jeep for AWD, so slippage is rarely even detected (even when I TRIED)

Way less torque than the monster V8 (modded too) of the Jeep

In all, I was very impressed and feel great about my wife in this vehicle with my children. I still need the Jeep as I do a great deal of serious off-roading and the independent suspension and terrible app/dept angles just won't cut it on the Acura (despite the fact that it looks to nice to be hit with tree branches).

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
hammerX said:
It's amazing just how confident the X makes you feel, as you drive through some serious snow. I can't believe the ease with which the X just keeps on going, no matter how much snow has fallen. The X rules!:2: ...
Excellent, thats good to know when I make future trips to Tahoe:29:

·
Registered
244 Posts
rroof said:
Let me just add .....

Had an emergency plumbing problem today during the serious blizzard where everything here is close as well (churches, school, stores, etc.)

I usually drive an M3, so my winter car is a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have it mildly modded (engine, exhaust, 2 inch lift, etc.) and with large Bridgestone Dueller A/T tires. Went out in the crap 4 times to pick up stuff - did fine, just some spinning here and there. For those that don't know, the Limiteds with a V8 get an AWD Jeep system called Quadradrive.

Gets late and have to run another errand - decide to take the MDX (wife's car) and I'm nervous. HOLY COW!!! Was at least as good as the Jeep (with factory Michelin X-terrains with over 22K on them) and I think a bit better. I think it is better because:

Normally front wheel drive vs. rear wheel of the Jeep

Electronic vs. Mechanical clutch pack of the Jeep for AWD, so slippage is rarely even detected (even when I TRIED)

Way less torque than the monster V8 (modded too) of the Jeep

In all, I was very impressed and feel great about my wife in this vehicle with my children. I still need the Jeep as I do a great deal of serious off-roading and the independent suspension and terrible app/dept angles just won't cut it on the Acura (despite the fact that it looks to nice to be hit with tree branches).

rroof ,

I always wondered how the MDX compared to a true off-road like the Jeep in snow. Is good to know that you got the same performance or better than the jeep.

The only thing I expect the MDX to do well is in the Snow. Our main reason for buying an SUV.

Thanks for the post...

·
Registered
928 Posts
what a fun it was these 2 days...

I agree with baldeagle about 4x4 and the false sense of security. It's mine and Gigi's second winter, and I feel confident driving in the snow at 35-40 mps while the others stay under 20! As long as you are aware of the road and it's conditions, you should drive at the speed as long as you know your vehicle's limitations.

BTW, a little comment on the breaking, if I may... Yesterday, when the snow was still falling down, with about 12 inches on the ground, I was driving on 2nd most of the time, when I needed to break I would switch to 1st! The truck decelerates much faster - NEVER EVER HIT THE BREAKS HARD unless you are on a completely dry asphalt road. This technique I believe is somewhat similar to downshifting on manual.

as for MDX-bragging - having to get out of the parking space and pull back in JUST 4 FUN when the others are stuck and trying to get out is MEAN, but PRICELESS! :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
# 3 (this altima got stuck, later helped to get out, this being # 4 car in 2 hours that I was digging out my Gigi and plying the snow around it by simply driving in/out of the parking space)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts