Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I‘m planning to drive my 2018 MDX with SH-AWD to snowy roads in the winter. I was told that I will need to put on snow chains even though my MdX is all wheel drive. I way to to know if it’s true. I thought SH-AWD doesn’t need snow chains in the snow as it will cause damage, right?

·
Registered
567 Posts
No need for chains with AWD as long as you have 50% or better all season tires or snow tires. "Snowy roads" doesn't really tell us a lot though and there is a huge difference between a road covered with several inches of snow vs Buffalo, NY lake effect 20+" per day type of snow. Properly installed and the correct type/size of chains will not cause damage, but wrong size or improperly fastened chains certainly can.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I‘m planning to drive my 2018 MDX with SH-AWD to snowy roads in the winter.
Do you mean offroad?

I was told that I will need to put on snow chains even though my MdX is all wheel drive.
Putting snow chains on wheels has nothing to do with the drive system. It has to do with traction of the wheels. Without proper traction, the drive system doesn't amount to much.

Snow chains will, undoubtedly, increase traction in deep snow. For example, if you go offroading or something along those lines.

For most of driving in snowy conditions on regular roads proper winter tires (with or without studs) should suffice. I went as deep as 2 feet on my MDX in parking lots after heavy snowfalls without any issues.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I drive on snowy roads every winter - I do swap out to winter tires. I have seen many that don’t so it all depends on your tire tread life.

It all depends on what type of snow / ice roads you’ll be planing to drive on. In most municipalities chains are illegal as are studs since they destroy the road in some places like north Canada they require snow tires and studs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts