Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Smart Tire System for your MDX

4K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  DaleB 
#1 ·
Anyone consider a SmartTire system like the one here

It looks like this

with a remote display

Not a bad system for around $258. Has anyone found a cheaper option besides checking the pressures manually...:D

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice to know if the spare is still good. Maybe an external sensor on the valve of the spare could accomplish that. That would be a useful option.
The biggest advantage is knowing the condition of all 4 tires 'at any time'.
Because a valve cap indicator could do the same thing and you can check it every day and anytime, except when driving. And they only cost about $10-20,

#6 ·
Just found this out..

It looks like these systems will now be mainstream and hopefullly at cheaper prices and hopefully a Acura/Honda OEM accessory.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Thursday said starting November 2003, automakers will have to equip all cars and light trucks sold in the United States with tire-pressure monitoring equipment to help prevent accidents caused by underinflated tires.

#7 ·
I read in the Paper today that cars made after november 2003 have to have a tire monitoring system. not as sophisticated as the one that was shown. It just has to be an idiot light that comes one warning of low tire pressure, not neccessarily which tire is the problem.

It is a phase in program with 65% of all vehicles having it by 2006.

Never know, the 2003 MDX may have something like it... You know the automakers will put it in their more expensive cars first...

#9 ·
DaleB said:
If people don't have enough sense to ride with proper inflation in their tires, they will probably sit there and trip out on the flashing light. [/B]
More than likely people will ignore it like all other idiot lights. When I used to work for a mechanic in high school we used to have a lot of people come in and say "that check engine light had been on for months. I never thought ther could be a problem"... or "what do mean my engine seized the check oil light was only one for a few weeks..."

This is was what we used to call an ID10T light error problem...

#10 ·
I agree, an audible signal will have to be used too. I still see people drive without seat belts now and then, and notice various warning lights on their dash glowing away as they meander down the road. Sometimes with wheels obviously out of balance. I have to believe at least half those people will cause accidents even if they are not involved.

#11 ·
Reminds me of a joke a read in a magazine once...

Two guys in heaven are in line to the pearly gates, the other asks
how the other died. The first answers while walking across the street, I got hit by a car that was weaving all across the road and not paying attention. The second guy answered I died trying to put on my seatbelt...

pa-doom ching...

:D

#13 ·
I found this seemingly more cost effective item at Brookstone online. Tire valve caps set to monitor tire pressure that change color to indicate low pressure. I called Brookstone and asked about them, apparently when you place an order you specify year, make and model and they send caps set to the propper pressure. They come in a set of 4 for $20.

Has anyone tried these?

Here is the link: (copy & paste to url line)

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/prod...subcategory_code=532&search_type=subcategory#

#14 ·
I know Pep Boys sells some for about half that price. I don't know what the difference is in either quality or accuracy.
I guess accuracy is not super important, if you just need a indication below a predetermined threshold. You would still use a gauge for 'setting' your tires.
The only things I don't like about them is they don't look as good as my chrome caps, and they could be easily stolen. Not a big deal, but there are people that will take just about anything they can get their filthy mitts on.

http://www.autobarn.net/vicv700series.html

Reading this, those caps might be more trouble then they are worth, plus they are one more maintenance item.

http://www.minderresearch.com/tirem.htm

#16 ·
Maik

Yes, I bought a set from Brookstone a few weeks ago. They seem to work fine. I checked the tire pressure the old fashioned way and the Brookstone indicators confirm that the pressure is correct.

And they cost me $20.00. Probably the cheapest accessory I've got. Very easy to read since they are color coded. Takes 2 seconds to check all tires. I would recommend.

#17 ·
Smart Tire system

This thing paid for itself for me yesterday. I was out of town and the audible alarm went off while my wife was driving her car. She went to the tire shop and had a nail pulled out and the tire patched. Saved her from being stranded with the kids. I would highly recommend this system to anyone!

#18 ·
Alternative to SmarTire system

I have been looking into tire pressure monitoring systems as I am about to get a 2003 MDX within the next week. The SmarTire kit seems to be the most popular and well known.

I also found an alternative system: www.intellivalve.com
that uses the valve stem as the sensor. It costs about the same as the SmarTire system. Just wondering if anyone knows why one would be better than the other in the long run, has had any experience with both, etc. Certainly seems the SmarTire system has had good things said about it.

Thanks.

Ron

#19 ·
Re: Alternative to SmarTire system

sujainath said:
I have been looking into tire pressure monitoring systems as I am about to get a 2003 MDX within the next week. The SmarTire kit seems to be the most popular and well known.

I also found an alternative system: www.intellivalve.com
that uses the valve stem as the sensor. It costs about the same as the SmarTire system. Just wondering if anyone knows why one would be better than the other in the long run, has had any experience with both, etc. Certainly seems the SmarTire system has had good things said about it.

Thanks.

Ron
Temperature can be useful information, it could tell you in those rare cases a tire has an internal separation problem causing excess flexing resulting in higher temperature, I would think.

The main reason I like the Intellivale is because I like things that fit nicely into an existing assembly, or they replace something else, rather than adding additional hardware. But I am sure either system would be a valuable accessory.

#20 ·
So you actually have the intellivalve system installed? I take it that it has been working fine for you. Here in CT with our cold harsh winters, I wonder if a valve-based sensor system would be as reliable as one mounted internally. On the other hand, I agree with you in that I like things that replace something rather than adding to it. Then there's the question of reliability/longevity. Hmmm.... Decisions, decisions.

#21 ·
sujainath said:
So you actually have the intellivalve system installed? I take it that it has been working fine for you. Here in CT with our cold harsh winters, I wonder if a valve-based sensor system would be as reliable as one mounted internally. On the other hand, I agree with you in that I like things that replace something rather than adding to it. Then there's the question of reliability/longevity. Hmmm.... Decisions, decisions.
I have no such system installed, I was just commenting on the design. Sorry I was not more clear.......it does look like a 'newer' system so I don't now how well proven it is.
The other one Tirerack sells, and it has been out for a while.

#22 ·
Re: Re: Alternative to SmarTire system

DaleB said:
Temperature can be useful information, it could tell you in those rare cases a tire has an internal separation problem causing excess flexing resulting in higher temperature, I would think.

The main reason I like the Intellivale is because I like things that fit nicely into an existing assembly, or they replace something else, rather than adding additional hardware. But I am sure either system would be a valuable accessory.
So why do you like these better?

They both monitor pressure and temperature.

They both fit nicely into an existing assembly - the inside of the tire.

One attaches with a band to the inner hub, one attaches through the hole on the outer hub.

It seems to me the outer hub location would be more trouble and impact balance more. It also seems more prone to damage and wear.

I am considering getting at least one set of these systems, perhaps two. Thanks for providing your input.

#25 ·
I had tried the $14.99 4 set of caps on my TL. Well it did what it is supposed to do but has some disadvantages to using it like:

1) It has to be replaced every year. The manufacturer says the o-rings on it will get used by then and it safer to replace it every year. So it is not a one time cost of $14.99 or so

2) You have to make sure that the cap is tightened all the way through, otherwise it would leak!!! Meaning somebody jealous of your MDX can loosen it a little and the tire would go flat in hour or so....

I dont recommend it.

#26 ·
I did a little research on my own and actually sent an email to the folks at SmarTire and Intellivalve asking them why I should get their system and also to compare it to the competitors.

I got an almost immediate response from the SmarTire folks. They said they actually make two types of systems- an OEM version that is just like the Intellivalve system and then the aftermarket "band" system. They explained why the valve sensor system really needs to be developed in coordination with the mfgr whereas the other system will work with any vehicle.

I have yet to get a response from Intellivalve.

To me, it's a much easier decision now based on customer support at least. When I get a tire pressure monitoring system, it will be from SmarTire (actually their distributors like Tire Rack, etc.)

If anyone has direct experience otherwise or even better with both companies' products, I'd still be interested in hearing about it.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.