Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three weeks ago our family switched from our 2015 Cadillac Escalade to a 2016 MDX Advance/Ent. We are in the process of building a new home and wanted something a little easier on the budget, and something with a few more safety gadgets for our new (and longer) commute.

We had/have driven just about every SUV on the market and decided to pull the trigger on the MDX.

Pros: Best seats in any SUV we have driven (including new Volvo XC90)
: Best ride (including GL Benz)
: Best price for overall content
: Amazing rear Entertainment
: Outstanding gas mileage
: One of the best HVAC systems
: Amazing AWD drive system with great handling (we also have a CTS-V)

Cons: Infotainment learning cure (even coming from CUE)
: Only one USB port
: Still has regular gas cap
: No weather/traffic rerouting (MAJOR Dislike)
: No heated steering wheel (Will add, but should not have to)
: No HUD/digital speed readout
: No 360 degree camera
: No Apple Carplay (could have squeezed it in for 16)
: No pkg that includes all exterior styling upgrades (front splitter, fog lights,
side steps, etc).

Overall we really enjoy the MDX, and are pleased with our purchase. We have not noticed any issues with the new 9 speed tranny, and have driven a lot of cars with amazing trannies. Although the infotainment has older graphics and the two system screens can be frustrating, they do work well. Unlike CUE the touchscreen is very responsive and deliberate. Our phones sync up quick and don't disconnect without notice. Handling is outstanding (can really feel the torque vectoring coming out of the curves) and steering has good feel in sport mode. The seats (especially when heated) are out of this world and if they had more adjustments and massage would rival the new S Class. Getting to the third row is a breeze and the latch system on the second row (for our booster seat) is the best we have used. For a V6 the performance is superb and even the soundtrack is pleasing under acceleration. The cabin overall is nice and gives a since of luxury, but could use some more upscale materials. I also wished Acura had used more of the pretty blue ambient lighting throughout the cabin that is found in the footwells and door pull.

We are very disappointed that the Nav does not reroute around traffic and you must go into the nav and manually avoid traffic/congestion. Our Escalade would reroute us around slow traffic all the time, and would show weather warnings on route and in the local area. Our other major issues is the safety gadgets (the main reason we choose the MDX) are hit and miss and sometimes altogether useless. I will include an example to illustrate my frustration. We were driving home at night during a horrible thunderstorm and were looking forward to using the LKAS. My wife thought this system could help us stay in our lane if our visibility became an issue. Much to our dismay, the LKAS turned itself off during the entire weather event. After reading the manual we realized LKAS is really only good during good weather, and turns itself off when you are using the wipers:mad: What a shame because during weather events the LKAS would be the most useful. Another example is the hit and miss of the RDM (Road Departure Mitigation). Our new home is in the country with a lot of rural two lane roads. Perhaps I was wrong (please correct me) but I thought RDM would help to keep you on the road even if the road was poorly or unmarked. The system would look for off road markers, such as trees, rocks etc. During our trips into the country the system has never worked and the car just goes right off the road. Again, maybe I am doing something wrong or don't fully understand? The last system that bugs us is the ACC/LSF. This system is outstanding until it has to brake for itself. The braking has been so erratic and sporadic that we either don't use the systems or keep our foot hovering over the brake pedal. It is also more of a task setting these systems without having even a small digital readout.

Ok, so those issues aside it is very hard to beat the value and comfort of the MDX. We are always looking for a reason to drive the MDX, and could not be more pleased with our purchase. With that being said, Acura has a lot of room to improve the vehicle and keep it ahead of some soon to be great competitors. Please excuse any grammar/spelling (watching my son and typing) and please comment if I am missing something on the traffic reroute or safety systems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to the manual for the navigation system, page 60, the traffic rerouting can be turned on or off. Default is off. Try turning it on and see if it helps. I am lurking and learning here because I am considering a 2016 MDX and trying to decide if it's now or wait till next year...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the manual for the navigation system, page 60, the traffic rerouting can be turned on or off. Default is off. Try turning it on and see if it helps. I am lurking and learning here because I am considering a 2016 MDX and trying to decide if it's now or wait till next year...
I read that as well, and made sure to set traffic reroute to on. When you are given the option, you assume the feature is there. I pressed the Acuralink button and asked the advisor, and she confirmed you must reroute yourself. Unless someone has observed differently I suppose the system is manual.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
By manually rerouting, I assume you are talking about the Detour option, page 137? Too bad it makes you choose that manually rather than just doing it and offering you a choice of whether or not to take it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By manually rerouting, I assume you are talking about the Detour option, page 137? Too bad it makes you choose that manually rather than just doing it and offering you a choice of whether or not to take it...
Yes, you select traffic on route, then select the incident, then select avoid or detour. I will post pics of the different screens when I get a chance.

I haven't heard that one before - what's wrong with the gas cap?
The last few cars we have had used the capless fuel filler. Once you get use to not screwing on the fuel cap you miss the feature. I will admit, it is a first world issue, but like push start, I believe all cars will move this direction.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ Thanks. Neoshi and MDXinVA. I've actually not seen a gas cap like that. I guess I'm behind the times or most likely - haven't checked out any new cars since I purchased the 2014 MDX.

It's interesting but wouldn't exactly be at the top of my desired feature list. Since I've kept some vehicle for a very long time I'd actually be a little concerned about how well it'd seal after some number of years. Hopefully the seal is cheap and easy to replace if needed.

Once you get use to not screwing on the fuel cap you miss the feature.
In all fairness, my wife has sometimes complained about how hard it is to get the gas cap off (not on the MDX).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know why the Heading Up and 3D options in the Nav screen are greyed out and not selectable? The Nav has us heading north (hate that) and we can not highlight and select the other two options.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Does anyone know why the Heading Up and 3D options in the Nav screen are greyed out and not selectable? The Nav has us heading north (hate that) and we can not highlight and select the other two options.
Are you driving while trying to change options? The car doesnt allow that. You need to be in park to change it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nav does auto-reroute for traffic on my 2014 for sure. I have watched it happen more than once and it says something like, "rerouting". My occasional issue is the choice it made versus Waze. If I remember correctly, I have a 3 year free subscription to Acuralink that came with the car - but needed to go through a process to activate.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hmm on my 2016, I didn't need to activate anything. The traffic stuff and service stuff just worked at delivery. Tried the Acuralink phone app, but it's pretty horrid, which is par for Acura tech.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nav does auto-reroute for traffic on my 2014 for sure. I have watched it happen more than once and it says something like, "rerouting". My occasional issue is the choice it made versus Waze. If I remember correctly, I have a 3 year free subscription to Acuralink that came with the car - but needed to go through a process to activate.
Hmm, we called to activate everything, and even subscribed to the next level service. After 90 days you lose the ability to lock/unlock and send directions via your phone. We have had the Nav running and routing and run into major traffic on numerous occasions? In the manual it states you will be rerouted if the system believes you can save at least 2 mins? So confused on this matter and it does not help the AcuraLink rep confirmed you must reroute manually.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe you have to be zoomed in past a certain point in order for Heading Up and 3D to be available. ie you have to first zoom in, then select Heading Up or 3D to be your default.

I could see why 3D won't work when you are zoomed out too far. Heading Up... debatable, probably harder to render when zoomed out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe you have to be zoomed in past a certain point in order for Heading Up and 3D to be available. ie you have to first zoom in, then select Heading Up or 3D to be your default.

I could see why 3D won't work when you are zoomed out too far. Heading Up... debatable, probably harder to render when zoomed out.
You are correct, we had to change the map zoom feature to enable Heading up and 3D functionality. :29:

·
Registered
254 Posts
2014 Nav manual p 126, "Traffic Rerouting...When driving to your destination, the system automatically searches for a faster route based on traffic flow information and traffic incidents...This feature requires an AcuraLink Real-Time. AcuraLink Real-Time TrafficTM is a subscription service. For more information, contact an Acura dealer or visit owners.acura.com."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2014 Nav manual p 126, "Traffic Rerouting...When driving to your destination, the system automatically searches for a faster route based on traffic flow information and traffic incidents...This feature requires an AcuraLink Real-Time. AcuraLink Real-Time TrafficTM is a subscription service. For more information, contact an Acura dealer or visit owners.acura.com."
Maybe they changed the software for 2016 or there are issues with mine? I am going to the dealer this morning, because AcuraLink could not connect to my vehicle. I will bring up the traffic while I am there.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ The software in the Nav is definitely different between the 2014 and 2016.

It's best to consult the Nav manual for yours to see how it's supposed to behave. If you haven't already done so, it's handy to have a soft copy PDF of the manuals on your computer. You can download them from Acura's website in the 'Owners' section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pleased to say my AcuraLink starting working (as we were getting ready to go to dealer) and for the first time the NavTraffic auto rerouted us today! With those issues cleared up, today was a great day of MDX ownership. I will continue to experiment with LKAS/ACC/LSF/ and RDM to find out how useful and effective they are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts