Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you want power and speed by the Hybrid MDX. The Sport + mode takes off and sounds like my old Corvette from years ago.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the 2016 with a new tranny - acceleration is not an issue to say the least. This is a fast SUV. There are occasionally slow downshifts but most of the time it drops down and takes off in a very muscular way. I use drive (D) almost always, except in stop-and-go driving and if I know I will be needing to perform soon (like on an acceleration ramp) when I will switch to sport (S) mode. I only rarely use the paddles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you still have problems when you get it back you have to deal with the Acura/ Honda corporation directly. We have a 2017 MDX, actually my wifes. Never had a problem with the transmission at all. When it gets stepped on it downshifts & goes. My wife drives it like she stole it & it has been a terrific vehicle. We are actually getting her 2020 MDX tomorrow as the 2017 lease is up in a few months.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel the same type of lag. I have a 2019 MDX with Advance Package. These cars have 9 speed ATs. There is also a Dumming down through the throttle management VTEC engine. I try 2 things: take your foot off the throttle and then punch it or hit the DS button to put the tranny into Sport mode . According to what I have read that DS mode affects tge tranny by limiting gear travel so you dont enter the high 8 or 9 gear positions. All of these measures by Acura / Honda are administered through PCM software to get Better MPGs across the board. Also Note I always Premium fuel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh Yeah for what it is worth my old 2016 QX 60 Infiniti with a CVT tranny, was more instantly responsive. I would get 23 to 24 MPGs overall with mostly Moving highway commutes. My MDX although it is a 2019 gets about 26 to 27 MPGs in similar driving conditions. According to the new 2019 QX60 lierature, Infiniti has boosted the HP to 295 , higher torque then the 2016, with 25 to 27 MPGs too. The main reasons i did not release a 2019 QX 60 was the overall loom of the car. I really liked the MDX better, but the QX60 had more luxury , more room which i dont actually need, and only a minimal AWD system, not as good as the MDX IN My Opinion. We shall see after we get the first real snow here in NY . Westchester county.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
They know a lot more about a lot of things they ain't telling anyone. It would open up a FLOODGATE of litigation. My 2017 MDX, my LAST Acura.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The dealer did a software update and the car is better now. I need to test it more and I will have an update .

·
Registered
259 Posts
The dealer did a software update and the car is better now. I need to test it more and I will have an update .
Looking forward to the update. Seems there are 2 issues reported here. One involves the front radar issue impeding acceleration and the other is just a long delay in giving power when throttle is floored. That is my issue. When I go to merge on freeway, I might be doing 5-10 mph on the on-ramp and when I mash it, car sits there for what seems like 2 full seconds (or maybe more) before it downshifts and applies power. In that amount of lag time, cars already on the highway can cover a lot of ground, making my entry/merge suddenly "exciting". Also can happen when creeping at a traffic light waiting to make a turn across oncoming traffic. Here again, the lag can be dangerous. For the most part, I've been very conservative with my turns and merges, but REALLY, the lag is just not acceptable, imo. And yes, this has been reported to my dealer more than once and there is never a fix mentioned. "Operating as designed" is their usual answer. They blame the electronic throttle (fly-by-wire).

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looking forward to the update. Seems there are 2 issues reported here. One involves the front radar issue impeding acceleration and the other is just a long delay in giving power when throttle is floored. That is my issue. When I go to merge on freeway, I might be doing 5-10 mph on the on-ramp and when I mash it, car sits there for what seems like 2 full seconds (or maybe more) before it downshifts and applies power. In that amount of lag time, cars already on the highway can cover a lot of ground, making my entry/merge suddenly "exciting". Also can happen when creeping at a traffic light waiting to make a turn across oncoming traffic. Here again, the lag can be dangerous. For the most part, I've been very conservative with my turns and merges, but REALLY, the lag is just not acceptable, imo. And yes, this has been reported to my dealer more than once and there is never a fix mentioned. "Operating as designed" is their usual answer. They blame the electronic throttle (fly-by-wire).
2015 Owner, same issue here.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts