Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to hold the acceleration all the way down to enter into the freeway is that normal? I have a 4 cylinder car with 180HP and I have no problems. The dealer replaced the transmission but the car is very slow to change the gears when I try to accelerate.
I'm bringing in the car in tomorrow for a different problem and I will bring this up. I can't believe a car that cost almost 50k has this kind of problems .

·
Registered
379 Posts
I need to hold the acceleration all the way down to enter into the freeway is that normal? I have a 4 cylinder car with 180HP and I have no problems. The dealer replaced the transmission but the car is very slow to change the gears when I try to accelerate.
I'm bringing in the car in tomorrow for a different problem and I will bring this up. I can't believe a car that cost almost 50k has this kind of problems .
Question... what is the make and model of said vehicle? You posted in the wrong section, as no 3rd gen MDX or any gen MDX has a 4 cylinder or 180 HP.

1) double check and make sure they actually replaced the transmission. It might be a defective transmission.
2) How many miles is on the vehicle? If its within the manufacturers warranty they should fix it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question... what is the make and model of said vehicle? You posted in the wrong section, as no 3rd gen MDX or any gen MDX has a 4 cylinder or 180 HP.

1) double check and make sure they actually replaced the transmission. It might be a defective transmission.
2) How many miles is on the vehicle? If its within the manufacturers warranty they should fix it.

I have a Ford Fusion that has 180hp that I don't have any problems when I try to enter in the freway ..
1. I have a paper that they replace the transmision
2. 30k miles

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Ford Fusion that has 180hp that I don't have any problems when I try to enter in the freway ..
1. I have a paper that they replace the transmision
2. 30k miles
Take the car to a highly recommended transmission place first to look at it. It might just need a reprogram or something worse. Also try to shop around to see if Ford offers an extended warranty and get it before your warranty expires.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Take the car to a highly recommended transmission place first to look at it. It might just need a reprogram or something worse. Also try to shop around to see if Ford offers an extended warranty and get it before your warranty expires.

his Ford is not the problem.

·
Registered
394 Posts
what model and year vehicle are you complaining about.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dude, just do what I said but for the MDX. Just get a second opinion from a transmission mechanic and then go from there.
his Ford is not the problem.
I read the vehicle info wrong then.

·
Registered
714 Posts
He said to effect, I'll interpret - "I have a Ford with only 180 HP and it works fine getting on the freeway, no problem, but my 2017 MDX with 300 HP is really slow and I have to hold the pedal all the way down. I don't understand why. Should I take it to the dealer or is that normal."

·
Registered
252 Posts
Out of curiosity, what happens if you use the paddle shifters to down-shift. Do you notice it has power then? In other words is it a problem that the vehicle is choosing the wrong gear or is the engine not developing the HP it should?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
This car is quick for an SUV. No it’s not normal. This should be number 1 on your list of things to tell the dealer. If they have already replaced the trans,obviously something is not right.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's totally normal, the ZF9 is agonizingly slow to give the commanded downshift and its most often noticed on the freeway on ramp. Here is the scenario: Accelerate on the ramp, then momentary neutral throttle while you determine the best blend speed, then you decide you need to be in front of that big truck and you stand on the gas...wait for it...then you finally get the downshift you asked for (which by then is either too late or too much). During that neutral throttle state the fuel economy bias in the programming has the transmission a few gears away from where you need it and it takes its sweet time to get back to the meat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's totally normal, the ZF9 is agonizingly slow to give the commanded downshift and its most often noticed on the freeway on ramp. Here is the scenario: Accelerate on the ramp, then momentary neutral throttle while you determine the best blend speed, then you decide you need to be in front of that big truck and you stand on the gas...wait for it...then you finally get the downshift you asked for (which by then is either too late or too much). During that neutral throttle state the fuel economy bias in the programming has the transmission a few gears away from where you need it and it takes its sweet time to get back to the meat.
This is a problem for a 50k car that need to fix this .

·
Registered
961 Posts
Here is what I found helps on my 2014 with the 6 speed transmission: As I enter the ramp, I shift into sport mode and repeatedly flick the downshift paddle while flooring the gas. It will shift down to 1st or 2nd gear depending on the speed. It also allows me to hold the gearshift until 7000 RPM, which keeps the engine in VTEC mode for the 2-3 upshift rather that kicking out and then back in again. Just to be clear, I don't do this regularly, but when I am towing a 4800 pound trailer and the ramp is uphill, it's nice to have the extra power.

I have no idea how the 9 speed will respond to this trick, but certainly worth some experimenting.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You have 30,000 miles. Was it always like that? 7 years on this forum and almost no issues of the car being slow to accelerate. It can’t be normal.

·
Registered
379 Posts
OP I forgot to ask... Are you using the highest gear as possible in paddle mode or does it also occur in D?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts