Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Dear 2002 Acura MDX,

2002 Acura MDX! said:
I know all of the MDX owners know the X doesn't have a skid plate, right??? I was looking at Jaos and saw this cool skid plate, wonder if they'll make one for the MDX.
.......a Skid Plate will do nothing for the MDX......The only thing it will do is contribute to making the very low ground clearance even lower!!!!.

I have very carefully studied the underbody design of the MDX and have noticed that it has too many suspension and "underbody suspension components" hanging too dangerously close to the ground (I got a hold of the technical literature for the MDX and observed that the ACUTAL minimum running ground clearance is 7.1 inches rather than the claimed 8.0 inches used for marketing puposes, which is the minimum on the "lowest part of frame" of the vehicle, and not the actual LOWEST PART, PERIOD. I've even parked my RAV4 next to the MDX to compare and some of the components are even lower to the ground than the RAV, which itself is supposed to be a light-duty off roader!! :eek:

So, regardless of what anyone says, or what Honda/Acura claims, the MDX is designed ONLY FOR VERY LIGHT OFF ROADING (rough, unpaved roads etc.)......I would even be wary of jumping a big curb with the MDX, because of the rear suspension control arms and part of the tailpipe near the muffler, as well as the muffler itself, being too close to the ground..........Ironically, however, the VTM-4 4WD system is even better, in some ways, than systems found on hardcore offroaders :rolleyes: ......so yeah, it's really a mixed bag :confused:

So what's the bottom line?? ....I don't think anyone (especially JAOS) would make a SKIDPLATE for the MDX, unless, of course, they make a LIFT-KIT for it as well, first. ;)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
SkidPlate for MDX

The JAOL SkidPlate my be very useful for the MDX if you plane to jackup your MDX(Lift it) put on SAND dune racing tires on it, install the skidplate for the dunes...Like the mitsubishi..it i will work just the same to protect your engine casing and bottom front end if you are out in the desert racing around int he sand dunes...

hmmmmm...oh yeah...that may be an idea....
:2:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
2002 Acura MDX!,

....I noticed that you've installed a K&N air filter/charger.......just out of curiosity, I was wondering if you notice any difference in performance with a vehicle like the MDX?? (since it already has a powerful V6).......Do you notice an imrovement in fuel consumption as well??

Didn't realize they even made one for the MDX!!

I installed a K&N air filter for my 2002 RAV4 and have noticed a subtle increase in performance (better off-the-line throttle response, better highway power and even better fuel economy). Using 91-octane fuel and increasing tire pressure 3 psi improved performance even further, and the overall result is quite impressive!! .......but then again the RAV has a 4-cylinder motor that's barely adequate to move the vehicle :rolleyes: , so anything that one can do to improve performance is a bonus!! ;)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
vicpai

It is interesting that a fair number of K&N filter owners, notice a slight increase in response during initial throttle opening.
I have noticed it also.
Quite frankly it surprises me that it does make a noticeable difference, albeit it hardly throws you back in your seat!
I can't see any appreciable mileage gains but those are very hard to determine unless you can make very controlled tests.
My favorite features are the fact that there is no appreciable loss in efficiency as the miles build up on the filter, and you never have to buy another one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't the K&N filters also let in larger size particulates. No thanks.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Been there, heard that..

We've been through that one over an over again with nothing conclusive. Nothing except a filter that has been used in a variety of vehicles for over 30 years in racing, commercial, and consumer markets with no 'recalls' or anything substantial to say it's deterimental to an engine, other than a couple of obscure 'events' reported on forums and a 'letter' from a Mercedes engineer.
The BMW, Mercedes arguments don't hold water either. Not when major German car 'tuners' are using them or their own equivalents with the same technology.
I guess I need to run up to 200,000 miles on a car. Have not kpet a vehicle with more than 154,000 miles on it, that I was running a K&N in. None were oil burners, the telltale sign of excessive cylinder scoring. Show me something conclusive, I will change that filter in a gnat's life cycle!

·
Registered
112 Posts
2002 Acura MDX! said:
I thought this is a thread about skid plate????? Why are you guys talking about K&N filter???? I'm not telling you to stop but just to know why.
Not unique to this thread. Any guesses out there as to how many posts (on average) it takes to get off topic?

·
Registered
103 Posts
2002 Acura MDX

You mentioned K&N filters first.... in your signature.:D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
2002 Acura MDX! said:
But this is a thread about skid plate.
It was... Sometimes threads resemble the broken telephone game that kids play in 1st grade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts