Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Redundant/Dupe Threads

I agree it's frustrating; my personal peeve is the Premium vs. Regular one that pops up every couple of months ("can I save 10 cents a gallon on my $40k high-compression car?"). Unfortunately, consolidating the threads (at least all of them) isn't viable -- here's why:
  • this board is VERY active
  • Edmunds' board is organized differently; it's easy to consolidate their discussions if necessary b/c there are typically just a couple of candidate "forums" to toss something in -- here there are a dozen+. Further, they don't move individual posts, but rather will close/consolidate a "new topic" that someone creates that might already exists. Easier to see on their board since it basically looks just like one of our forums, sitting there -- lonely -- with a brand new title and few (if any) responses
  • as an example, to consolidate a newbie's premium vs. regular thread with an old one, *I* would have to search for the old one to do the consolidation.
  • Edmunds' mods are paid employees. Our mods are fellow enthusiasts with dayjobs. The available budget for this site is $0 outside of the software licensing and hosting costs.
Users need to practice some diligence in doing a search before posting. Sure, a newbie won't know our terms of endearment for "weeping" or "the thud", but for stuff like "oil change" or "premium fuel", those ought to be no-brainers.

Which is why I think a more conspicuous "search" feature -- or introducing the "search" feature during the registration process -- is key.

Of course, I have been known to reply to basic, duplicate posts with
and absolutely nothing else. Sometimes I'll provide the link, othertimes not. Unless, of course, the question/post begins with "I tried a search, but couldn't find an exact answer...". I would encourage my fellow oldfarts to do the same: educate the newbies on the use of the Search function rather than making it unneccesary.

Niles brings up a good point re: 02 peeps not thinking about relevancy of 01 cars. Could be. Us oldfarts know the cars are pretty much identical. When 03 hits, and depending on the number of enhancements the MDX gets, it might make sense to add an 01+02 and seperate 03 forum in addition to the general discussions one, kinda like the TL and CL people have done with the S-type.

But then msu79gt82 will complain about people crossposting in a model-year forum and the general discussion forum because it gets more visibility :D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Me complain?

Thanks for the explanation; it helped a lot.

Please, please, please lets keeps things free:cool: I was very surprised when the TL org went to paying for some of the services.:(

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Free = best :)

I wasn't aware the TL board went pay. I know ClubLexus went paid ($10 I think) for access to tech bulletins and group buy participation. I thought that fair - at least there's some ROI.

Other end of the spectrum was the "old" CRV board...they wanted $40+ a year...meanwhile, GatorGreg just started a competing board for free. Tough to justify charging members for general forum access -- afterall, they're the ones providing the content!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Great improvements!

Another thing to check out is accessing the dealer ratings from the front page.

If I select Georgia, it tells me there are no ratings.

However, if I select it after going "inside" the website, I am able to see all of Georgia's dealer ratings.

Thanks,
cbarry

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
TL Clarification

General forum access is still free on www.acura-tl.com however they charge for advanced services. I think there is two levels of paid service membership; but you can read and post replys for free.

·
Administrator
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A lot of activity here, so I decided to update you on the status of the upgrade.

The site redesign/improvements/fixes are done on my beta site, but I am now struggling with my new hosting company. I think I'm going to dump it and look for something else, or just stay here.

The site improvements are going to come gradually. First the redesign, then some bug fixes, followed by group buy functionality. Please be patient with me while I'm figuring out hosting issues.

As far as introducing a fee for this site - that's not gonna happen. I said this before, and I am saying this again. As long as I get a bit of help with moderating our forums (thanks to all the current moderators), this site will be running smoothly, even if I don't get enough sticker orders to pay for it :)

Stay tuned for an update on the site upgrade.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Keep it up!

Great job, admin, we all owe you (sincere thanks, if not a sticker or two) :) I'm administrating two vbulletin sites, thanks to acuramdx.org!

Worm, you got a day job??? :D:D

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
admin said:

As far as introducing a fee for this site - that's not gonna happen. I said this before, and I am saying this again. As long as I get a bit of help with moderating our forums (thanks to all the current moderators), this site will be running smoothly, even if I don't get enough sticker orders to pay for it :)

I agree, Im not a cheap person, but I certainly wont pay to gain access to a forum. Any forum. Im sure that the majority of places who do start a fee based forum, see their membership drop dramatically. Personally fee based sites alienate new users. I think stickers are a good way to help support this website. BTW I got one :)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Supporting our advertisers should help as well ...

... anyone call Tim lately:D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Had a Senior Moment

I am somewhat guilty of posting a duplicate 15K thread but I did check the maintenance forum first but as Worm said it only had 30 days of threads. However, what might be helpful to us oldsters is to break the maintenance forum into "Required Maintenance" and "Warranty Work" or something that distinquishes between what we pay for and what Acura pays for. Another reason for this is new or perspective owners will be more interested in repairs while us old folks are more interested in mitigating "routine service rape."

Second suggestion, which is my old saw, is add a spellcheckar. ;)

Third suggestion would be to add a link or download the PDF file to have the owners manual available for reference without leaving the forum. How many posts would this eliminate?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Keep it up!

ghost said:
I'm administrating two vbulletin sites, thanks to acuramdx.org!
Let us check them out! URLs pleeze!

Is one of them mosquito.net? :D

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I know this might fall under dupe post, I Admin the said site in my sig. and we routinly "prune" old post that have no replies. It saves on space and sometimes the post are redundant anyway.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
New Member Levels

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I think more member levels like they do at acura-tl.com would be nice.

TheWorm has 1100 or so posts, but I only have 300 some posts, and we are the same level. I don't think the level of knowledge and seniority is even close.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sorry, 1500 or so posts for TheWorm

Just saw that

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: New Member Levels

MDXtrous said:
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I think more member levels...
That's a good idea...a quick one, too, I believe for admin's sake...

How bout some suggestions, using the existing post-levels to start (just the # threshhold, not necessarily the current titles) then maybe new 500/750/1000/... thresholds with titles?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Re: Re: New Member Levels

TheWorm said:

That's a good idea...a quick one, too, I believe for admin's sake...

How bout some suggestions, using the existing post-levels to start (just the # threshhold, not necessarily the current titles) then maybe new 500/750/1000/... thresholds with titles?
500 - Faster than a speeding bullet :cool:
750 - More Powerful than a Locomotive :)
1,000 - Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound :eek:
1,500 - Retired :D:D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
How about:

500 Silver
750 Gold
1000 Platinum
1500 Titanium

Ok, maybe not Titanium, but you catch the drift...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
How About:

0 - 100 Curious
101 - 300 Serious
301 - 500 Infatuated
501 - 750 Addicted
751+ Needs a Life

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: Re: Keep it up!

TheWorm said:

Let us check them out! URLs pleeze!

Is one of them mosquito.net? :D
LOL! Good one.

My boards aren't nearly as interesting, we're using them for project discussions

But, (now that you asked :)), I do have a couple interesting sites, check out these when you have some spare surfing time...

www.lakeaccess.org
Water on the Web
Aspen FACE Experiment

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I know there's a "bandwidth hog" category in there, too. 1000+ maybe?

(Ghost - thanx for the links).

21 - 40 of 53 Posts