Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replace just a single tire? We have 12k on our current ones, manual suggest pairs to avoid possible drivability issues but does not say it'll damage the drive train. Currently running with a full size spare that is a different model, same make with no issues (premier ltx versus latitude tour hp) and can't tell the difference. Can't imagine the MDX having issues considering the type of AWD system it has. Curious what the collective has to say...mine is a 2013 Advance

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 2015 ADV I have had to replace two tires at different times. The first time was at about 17,000 miles due to a blow out. The tire dealer said it was ok to replace just the one tire based on the wear on all the tires but it was close. The second time , just this week, the Acura dealer replaced one tire and paired it to the newer one previously replaced. There was only 10,000 miles on it.
When it comes time I will replace all 4 just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You can do several things:

- purchase a second new tire to match the new replacement. Then you will need to keep the new pair on the same axle for rotations/cross rotations for +40,000 more miles. I did this on my RDX. I ended up leaving the newer set on the front 2X as long to wear them down more to catch up the older set. Did this so I can replace all 4 when due.

- purchase one used tire on eBay matching the other 3 tires tread depth, convert the new tire into a full size spare. I purchased a used Conti DWS 06 tire on eBay at 75%-80% tread for about $80+shipping as a full size spare. Prefer a full size tire compared to a donut so I will have normal driving/braking performance.

The sh-awd system seems to be very reliable system. I don't remember any threads on two different Acura forums about having issues with sh-awd in the last 10 years. I've had/read issues with the sh-awd going into "limp mode"; but, that was to protect the system because something else was wrong with the vehicle (usually electrical related). I think the sh-awd system can handle short-term tread depth (circumference) differences like you have with a donut spare; but, I don't know how the system would react with +3yrs/+30,000 miles with different tread depth?

I would also think there might be a tire performance difference with one new and 3 old tires. Braking, acceleration, bad weather performance, or cornering seems to be effected as tires wears. The MDX might have to work a little harder to compensate for that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts