Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my salesman told me they don't like the side steps due to some kind of resonance when driving on wet pavement. he said it's very annoying after a while. has anyone noticed anything like that? i haven't picked up the new MDX yet (next week hopefully...) so i can change from the running boards if i want... just need an opinion...

anybody?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I've never experienced and I'm very observant to noise. I don't like the look of the running over the steps at all.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
You don't hear any spray/noise on wet pavement; you DO hear water spray off the steps when going through puddles @ speed, but it's no louder than the H2O spraying up into a wheel well -- maybe even a bit quieter than that (a different tune, of course). I don't find it annoying at all. Stick with the steps. :29:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Negatory on the side step noise. Maybe if you were riding outside the car and had your ear on them. Not in the car though.

Go for the steps! :cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Agree on Side Steps

TheWorm said:
You don't hear any spray/noise on wet pavement; you DO hear water spray off the steps when going through puddles @ speed. I don't find it annoying at all. Stick with the steps. :29:
I agree with TheWorm's assessment. You have to be going through a puddle of water to hear any noise. Otherwise it is not noticeable. This is just a personal taste preference, but the side steps have a better look - a slight dose of testosterone, as opposed to the minivan look of the running boards.

..and get them from Tim at www.hondacuraworld.com, install yourself and save many hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks...

i like the look of the steps as well... i'll call them and have them changed...

thanks everyone...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Number 6 said:
my salesman told me they don't like the side steps due to some kind of resonance when driving on wet pavement. he said it's very annoying after a while.
Hey Number 6,
Your salesmen told you this based on what? Does he actually own an X and drive it everyday to the point where he noticed the noise personally? I'm just curious. Also congratulations on the side step switch. I too plan to add side steps to my baby this spring.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The noise level when driving through standing water at 30mph or higher is very loud, and quite annoying with sidesteps. I was startled the first time it happened to me. I don't notice any noise otherwise. The sidesteps are just long, hollow tubes that will accentuate the sound of the water splashing or gushing against them -- nothing too bothersome after you come to expect it, and certainly not a reason to not get them. Of course, here in So.Fla. we don't get too much rain (yeah, right!) so it's truly not a problem for us!

·
Registered
391 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
The noise level when driving through standing water at 30mph or higher is very loud, and quite annoying with sidesteps. I was startled the first time it happened to me. I don't notice any noise otherwise. The sidesteps are just long, hollow tubes that will accentuate the sound of the water splashing or gushing against them -- nothing too bothersome after you come to expect it, and certainly not a reason to not get them. Of course, here in So.Fla. we don't get too much rain (yeah, right!) so it's truly not a problem for us!
I agree. I have only heard it once in the month and a half I have had my X. I took it as a warning to slow down, since I hadn't realized there was that much standing water on the side of the road until I heard the noise.

I posted a question about the side steps before I added mine and somebody had suggested filling them to get rid of the resonance. I think they mentioned foam rubber, but I was kicking around the idea of that expanding foam insulation that you get in a can at Home Depot. It doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it at the moment though.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Not sure about using the expanding foam rubber, if you're not careful with that stuff it could actually distort your steps if youo put too much in. If the noise bothers you that much, or if you just want to try a temporary fix to see if it helps, try using good old Dow corning pink fiberglass. You can push it in from either side, and if you ever want to remove it, it'll be pretty easy to pull/push out.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I too agree with TheWorm

I do not hear any noise associated with the steps except when driving through very shallow standing water at moderate speeds. Driving through deeper pools has no noise since I drive through them very slowly. But a thin layer of standing water will cause a spray that resonates a drumming noise through the steps. I suppose if I spent all my time driving through puddles it would be annoying. But puddles are rare - it is not a problem for us.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Side step noise?

buhmabee said:

Hey Number 6,
Your salesmen told you this based on what? Does he actually own an X and drive it everyday to the point where he noticed the noise personally? I'm just curious. Also congratulations on the side step switch. I too plan to add side steps to my baby this spring.
i was told by michael andrews that it was based on the MDXs they have as loaners, personal driving, and customer comments.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Number 6,

I have had my side steps for about a yea and a half now and I hear the most annoying sound ever when driving through puddles. Sounds like water hitting something hollow and then an echo effect.

The funny thing is I NEVER noticed this on my 95 Pathfinder which I had for several years and drove that thing real rough through all types of weather.

I do love the looks of the steps though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just wanted to "revive" this thread to find out if anyone has tried anything to stop the resonance that is heard by some of us with side steps while driving through puddles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Wow I quoted myself

msu79gt82 said:
But a thin layer of standing water will cause a spray that resonates a drumming noise through the steps. I suppose if I spent all my time driving through puddles it would be annoying. But puddles are rare - it is not a problem for us.
How often do you drive through puddles? This is such a rare occurance that we ignore it - all vehicles have additional noises of some type when driving through water.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, living in South Florida, there's puddles on the road most of the spring and summer - so nearly half the year, it seems like.

I figured that Acura had gone to lengths to put noise dampening materials in the wheel wells to "quiet puddles" only to have that effort circumvented by my side steps. I just figured I'd ask if there was a cheap-quick fix that someone had come up with to "return" it to "quiet puddles." Actually, I usually have my music up loud enough that I don't hear it, anyway.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Gotta say I LOVE driving thru puddles - I guess I didn't get it out of my system as a child!! I've never noticed any sound other than the 'Splash' and wave of water (my boys love for me to do this) and the side steps just hang on!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've never noticed any unusual noise from my side steps in wet driving conditions. Of couse, I don't drive like some little kid looking for every puddle I can splash through, either.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Wazowski said:
I've never noticed any unusual noise from my side steps in wet driving conditions.
What he said . . .:4:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts