Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prestige Acura, in Santa Rosa, charges $350. to provide and install side mouldings. Since the mouldings are available on this web site (a group buy) for around $100., that means that installation is $250. Is that about right? Do most of you install the side moulding yourselves? If not, who do you hire and how much does it cost?

Thanks,

Bobby

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dale,

Marin Acura wants $137.50 for installation only.

As I said, Prestige, in Santa Rosa, wants a lot more.

Can you give me the name of at least one dealership that is charging $50. so I can use that information to bargain with my local dealerships?

Thanks,

Bobby

·
Registered
285 Posts
bobby-

acura's official website (acura.com) posts the suggested price of BSM (including part and installation) for about $160... i printed out a copy of their suggested price list and showed it to my sales person, and it was very effective... at one dealership, they agreed to cut their price for a bunch of accessories by 50% (labor and parts included)....

good luck,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestion!

Thanks.

By the way, "Worm" posted that the body side mouldings are very easy to install yourself ("foolproof" he said).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Piece of cake

I installed the BSM's (that I got from Tim) last weekend. Using the template it was very easy. Counting the time that my wife very scientifically aligned the templates and taped them to the car, the total installation time was less than 20 minutes. A few tips - 1) measure the spacing from the door edge - I used 5/8 inch on each side of the door edge, 2) have someone hold the template flat against the door (since you can't tape the bottom edge this helps to get the moulding flush against the template), 3) after you remove the adhesive covering, start with the flat end and attach it next to the template at the point you marked in 1 above - then holding the pointed end away from the door with one hand, press the moulding against the door a few inches at a time, aligning it against the template. Press the moulding in to the door with the palms of your hands and toss the templates in the trash. You're done.

If you're Prestige Acura, you can get $750 an hour installing BSM's (at 3 an hour for their outrageous fees). I'm in the wrong business.:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do the BSMs come with a template when you order from Tim? I noticed there are no installation instructions on the hondacuraworld website. If not, what have people used here as a template?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, the template was included in the box with the BSM's.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: Piece of cake

CharlotteMDX said:
I installed the BSM's (that I got from Tim) last weekend. Using the template it was very easy. ..............2) have someone hold the template flat against the door (since you can't tape the bottom edge this helps to get the moulding flush against the template.........................:(
I made a few loops of masking tape and put them on the bottom edge of the template, kind of like double sided tape. Then it was very easy to apply the mouldings up flat against the edge of the template. Also, the end of the moulding should be only a fraction of an inch away from the door edge, I think it says 2-3 mm, or about a tenth of an inch. It's one of the easiest jobs to do, especially on a pretty new car. Just clean the area well with alcohol wipes and it will go fine if you just follow the templates. BTW, I have grown to love how they look plus love the bit of protection they provide. lots of luck!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts