Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think the side mirror tilt down while backing is designed poorly in the 2016 MDX? You can move the side mirror switch to the right, and only the right mirror tilts down while backing. Or move the switch left and only the left mirror tilts down while backing. Put the switch in the middle and neither mirror tilts down while backing. None of these options is what I want.

I want them both to tilt down while backing. Why is that not an option? They should just put all the options into the screen menus and let us choose none or either or both mirrors for backup tilt down.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Does anyone else think the side mirror tilt down while backing is designed poorly in the 2016 MDX? You can move the side mirror switch to the right, and only the right mirror tilts down while backing. Or move the switch left and only the left mirror tilts down while backing. Put the switch in the middle and neither mirror tilts down while backing. None of these options is what I want.

I want them both to tilt down while backing. Why is that not an option? They should just put all the options into the screen menus and let us choose none or either or both mirrors for backup tilt down.
I always think it's funny when folks ask why a feature isn't available. Only the engineers know that. Everything else is speculation. I have had several cars with tilt mirrors. I have never seen the option you mentioned.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Jokes aside, it's because a person can only see one of the side mirrors at a time. It's impossible to look at both side mirrors at the same time unless you're wall-eyed or a chameleon. And with the wide view and bending guidelines feature of the rear camera you can already see your position before you back up.

At least the MDX gives us a tilt-down to both side mirrors. Other cars can only tilt the right side mirrors.

But worry no more, the 2017 MDX will now have an all around view camera. That should have been in the 2014 - 2016 MDX in the first place.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
My Chevy Avalanche had this option (both mirrors tilting) as does my wife's Buick Enclave .

That being said it is not a big deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Lexus has the same feature, only 1 side at a time. I was not aware any auto makers made it possible for both mirrors to tilt down in reverse. Impressed American manufactures have it. I would much rather Acura use better interior materials, the flimsy plastic panels are so poor in quality I have given up on trying to stop all the rattles that seem to come up over time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, the TL used to have both mirrors tilt down while backing out at the same time. I had a TL loaner with this feature either when I had the 07 RDX or the 2010 TSX.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Actually, the TL used to have both mirrors tilt down while backing out at the same time. I had a TL loaner with this feature either when I had the 07 RDX or the 2010 TSX.
In the USA none of the Acura line has ever had the option to tilt both mirrors down at the same time. It has always been one at a time or just the passenger side mirror only (some models like 1st gen MDX only gave the option of the passenger mirror tilt down).

The Lexus RX350 does have the option for both mirrors to tilt down at the same time.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The point of the tilting mirror is to see the curb better on the side where the wheels are near the curb when parallel parking. That's only on one side of the car or the other - there's no need for both mirrors to tilt at the same time unless on finds it to be too much bother to change the switch to one side or the other when parking on different sides of the street.

I think having just one tilt at a time is fine and improves reliability by not having mirrors tilt when not needed (and eventually break).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone know why the MDX only turns on when I push the button to start it? I mean, I'm in the vehicle with my key fob in my pocket, you'd think it would know I want to drive it? WTF, Acura!

·
Registered
69 Posts
there's a point about viewing the curb, but someone may want to view the lines while reversing and trying to park, and hate to turn the switch back and forth when turning the head... why just not put that as customizable? not a design flaw, but a certain zero cost consideration.. huh?!

·
Registered
56 Posts
@mdxstang: my MDX (Russian specs) does this on both mirrors. I use it at least twice a day for backing into parking spots; makes navigating between lines and reversing in general much easier. But for backing into spots between lines or between posts, a great feature.

To be honest I didn't know any car manufacturer that makes it possible to do this limited it to one mirror at a time.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
@mdxstang: my MDX (Russian specs) does this on both mirrors. I use it at least twice a day for backing into parking spots; makes navigating between lines and reversing in general much easier. But for backing into spots between lines or between posts, a great feature.

To be honest I didn't know any car manufacturer that makes it possible to do this limited it to one mirror at a time.
GAHHH another international feature we don't get. Man Honda US products suck sometimes.

I will say though that I've used the dual mirror down thing before in an alleyway overseas, needing to back out and not scratch my rental's rims on the way back out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it's any comfort they just announced they are pulling out of Russian market - only a couple of months after I bought mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From the information I've seen, yes, they'll cover the warranty and all else at Honda dealerships. I'm not looking forward to testing it out. So now I'll have to find a good Honda dealership, and they seem to be cutting back as well. Haven't yet received any official communication from Acura, though, it's just been in the press. Come to think of it, time to check the Acura site.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think tiliting mirror is for seeing the curb too. Keep the other mirror up for approaching traffic.
perpendicular parking spots are not meant to be backed in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts