Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's 3rd Gen side mirror clicks when it tilts down in reverse?

Mine started doing this about 2 months in. I thought it was the cold weather or snow, but now its around 50 degrees it still does it. It's mostly on the driver side mirror, the passenger side mirror clicks but not as often.

I thought perhaps, the mirror gears are poorly calibrated and trying to tilt to far down?? Bc it clicks if u manually hold down the tilt button in either direction.

Is this an easy fix?

I have 12 months bumper to bumper warranty. and I think of waiting to get my first oil change in about 3-5 months to ask them about it and then also ask them about the center console vibration I feel when the car is shifted to D but not moving.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Does anyone else's 3rd Gen side mirror clicks when it tilts down in reverse?

Mine started doing this about 2 months in. I thought it was the cold weather or snow, but now its around 50 degrees it still does it. It's mostly on the driver side mirror, the passenger side mirror clicks but not as often.

I thought perhaps, the mirror gears are poorly calibrated and trying to tilt to far down?? Bc it clicks if u manually hold down the tilt button in either direction.

Is this an easy fix?

I have 12 months bumper to bumper warranty. and I think of waiting to get my first oil change in about 3-5 months to ask them about it and then also ask them about the center console vibration I feel when the car is shifted to D but not moving.

Thanks
Unless you are far away from the dealer. I'd get it fixed before it goes out entirely.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
From what I read online This issue is caused by Grease Drying up in the Mirror Tilt Motor.

The tilt system uses a 4 helicoid screw type mechanism to set the Mirror in the angle you want.. With time dirt makes it way to the screw which has grease on it. This causes friction on the screw which translate to skips in the motion of the mirror.

In your case probably the grease is getting frozen by water contamination?
Check for warranty!

Out of warranty: Solution seems to be to remove the Mirror (You can pop off the Mirror Itself) and lubricate with grease all 4 Helicoids or replace the Tilt Motor system altogether.

Reactions: NewYorkMDX01

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My 2014 hasn't done this. I'd be concerned that the clicking will lead to failure. Definitely get it taken care of while still under warranty.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i came into the dealer today to check out the mirrors and center console vibration. The mirror click issue was no big deal, but turns out the vibration was caused by a bad front motor mount. It only has 16k miles on it. Wow. My 2001 mdx drove like a champ and it had 170k miles on it.

Thank gawd its under warranty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
2014 MDX Tech - Same issue, driver mirror click. It's always set to tilt down when reversing. Other than that, we've had the Blower Motor replaced due to a noise. Vehicle has been solid for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
391 Posts
2014 MDX Tech - Same issue, driver mirror click. It's always set to tilt down when reversing. Other than that, we've had the Blower Motor replaced due to a noise. Vehicle has been solid for the last 3 years.
what blower noise? please elaborate. please dont be shy, and feel free to layout all the gory details.

thank you

·
Registered
123 Posts
what blower noise? please elaborate. please dont be shy, and feel free to layout all the gory details.

thank you
I was hearing a whine or wobble from the HVAC blower motor. It was faint and difficult to hear but when you are driving in the car alone with no sound, the pitch was perfectly annoying. It was more pronounced when you turned on/off the HVAC, you could definitely hear the motor start up and shut down. It's like a loose bearing. The tech said Acura is aware and is trying to solution a fix. I opted to replace the current blower motor and not wait for the fix. They couldn't tell me when a fix would be in place so since I'm living for today, I had it replaced. I prob won't even have this car anymore when a solution is engineered, manufactured and distributed to dealers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts