Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 X, not quite at 20K, sometimes the steering wheel shudders when braking above 60 miles. To me this is front rotors issue. Is this normal at 20K miles to have rotors problem? I never had rotors problem at such a low mileage!

·
Registered
56 Posts
my 08 accord had horrible brakes and needed new pads and resurfacing about the same time. Probably worth it to get it checked if its actually noticeable.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Most likely it is uneven distribution of brake pad material on the rotor causing hi/low spots you feel during high speed braking. Seems to be a very common problem with Acura vehicles. Even if you turn the rotors to clean off the hi/low spots, it will just come back in about he same amount of time depending on your driving style/conditions. Most folks can upgrade the pads and lessen/eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Probably not uncommon if you do a lot of city driving which I'm assuming is how you have so few miles on a '12. We're at 65k miles and rotors have no vibration whatsoever. Pads are still well over 50% too.

Also if your wheel lugs are over or unevenly torqued it can cause the discs to warp easily.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
In the good old days; you would be lucky to get around 30,000 miles from a normal set of pads. I've went +100,000 miles on both my RDX and TSX. We might have traded one problem for another with newer pad materials?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably not uncommon if you do a lot of city driving which I'm assuming is how you have so few miles on a '12. We're at 65k miles and rotors have no vibration whatsoever. Pads are still well over 50% too.

Also if your wheel lugs are over or unevenly torqued it can cause the discs to warp easily.
Wife does not drive much. Recently rotated the tires probably the shop over tighten the lugs! I need to loosen them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2012 X, not quite at 20K, sometimes the steering wheel shudders when braking above 60 miles. To me this is front rotors issue. Is this normal at 20K miles to have rotors problem? I never had rotors problem at such a low mileage!
I had warped front rotors on my 07 MDX when I bought it used, replaced them and the vibration problem went away, I went ahead and replaced the pads as well. I dont know where the rotors came from but replaced rotors+pads with OEM to be safe, no problems at 15k after the swap and it is my daily driver I use in rush hour highway traffic every day.

Obviously things such as driving your car like an old lady and keeping an excessive distance in rush hour will keep them in good shape, just avoid heavy braking. If you live in the mountains learn how to gear down and not use your brakes as much. Generally in my experience with other cars, you might as well just replace them rather than turn them, unless the dealer wants to cover the cost for free as a complimentary thing. I dont know if there are performance options available for the MDX but it may be something to look into.

The rotors are my '13 TL are warped again at 23k, were previously turned for free at 12k as they were warped, dealer said the pads showed no wear. I do drive that car a lot harder than the MDX though, but its probably time to look into performance rotors for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts