Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura knows 01-03 especailly 01-02 transmission has problem which can suddenly lock up & cause fatal accidents. For 03 Consumer reports gave the worst grade for its transmission. Just like Toyota, Acura tried to hide & deny their problem. Should we all bring this up to their attention so that will fix those who has transmission problem with their MDX?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Sure. SUE, SUE, SUE. Grab all of the money that you can, anywhere that you can. That is now the American way for those that do not want to take the effort that our ancestors took to get this country stated.

G

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
The probability of Acura settling a class action suit for the 2001-2003 is probably low. They settled the class action suit for the other models that had higher failure rates because it was still in the time frame that could affect new sales. You would also have to seperate the 2001/2002 and 2003 model year cases because they are different transmissions and 2003 failure rates are much lower. Also, there is only one failure mode which can cause lock-up and cause a fatal accident - that issue was addressed by the oil jet kit recall. The numerous other more common failure mode give symptoms before failure. 2001 to 2003 models are now 7-10 years old now with likely 100K+ miles. Generally, getting to 100K without major problems, is considered acceptable. Although, Hondas, have a history of going well past 100K, it is not a guarantee of future performance. The only guarantee is the 50K/4 yr warranty.

·
Registered
359 Posts
G. COLTON said:
Sure. SUE, SUE, SUE. Grab all of the money that you can, anywhere that you can. That is now the American way for those that do not want to take the effort that our ancestors took to get this country stated.G
its seems that all G.Colton has to offer this site is sniping at other posters. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but in this case I agree with him.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ya got me ta thinkin'....the old Maxwell has been going through tires too often and I know Jack Benny used to have a similar problem.

Maybe I can get some loot otta this.

·
Registered
684 Posts
In construction, you can't sue the architect after 10 years, I don't know about the car industry. It would be hard to make it a Toyota case. But I won't buy another Acura anyway cause of their attitude towards the tranny.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If by "we" you meant that mouse in your pocket- go ahead.

I'm not a "suit" fan and even less so on a product that for the most part is considered above avg vs it's competition.

Are you serious or just trying to stir things up a bit?

·
Registered
175 Posts
G. COLTON said:
...... our ancestors took to get this country stated.

G

That is the exact statement many americans seems losing thesedays. No matter where we stand, whatever we do, we have to have some sort of foundation that we must firmly cling to. When people forget why/how we are here, it is matter of time that our foundation is gradually deteriorated and we all may eventually collapse together. We all know that America is built on the freedom but we oftern forget that that freedom is what our ancestors exchanged with their tremendous effort and even with their own lives. Why? For us, their descendants.

In America, thanks to our such blessed system by our ancestors, freedom to address Justice (people call it "sue-ing") is also abundantly given to any individuals thesedays, but we shall use that wisely and carefully. The moment that we start abusing it, ironically, it will actually start slowly undermining our own fundamental freedom.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 00 Accord EX coupe, with the suspect tranny...they wouldnt fix it because it had not yet failed.

Now that its past the warranty in years, not mileage (110K miles) I cant have it replaced.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Heracles said:
I have a 00 Accord EX coupe, with the suspect tranny...they wouldnt fix it because it had not yet failed.

Now that its past the warranty in years, not mileage (110K miles) I cant have it replaced.
And it may never fail. How long should Honda give out replacement trannies? 10 years, 20 years, 30 years? 10 years out a vehicle without a major failure is pretty good........

·
Registered
451 Posts
G. COLTON said:
Sure. SUE, SUE, SUE. Grab all of the money that you can, anywhere that you can. That is now the American way for those that do not want to take the effort that our ancestors took to get this country stated.

G
Ahem. I'd like to buy you a beer.

·
Registered
34 Posts

G
Right!

How stupid of us to spend $40,000+ for a car and expect the transmission not to explode after 50,000 miles. We should take the effort to push it home and rebuild it ourselves! Certainly that's what our ancestors would have done! Those who do not want to take the effort to do so are simply greedy bastards! All of us real Americans will just keep throwing money down a hole and heaping praise upon our hard-working ancestors.

One truly great thing about our ancestors is that they actually (on most occassions anyway) held others responsible for their actions.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Right!

How stupid of us to spend $40,000+ for a car and expect the transmission not to explode after 50,000 miles. We should take the effort to push it home and rebuild it ourselves! Certainly that's what our ancestors would have done! Those who do not want to take the effort to do so are simply greedy bastards! All of us real Americans will just keep throwing money down a hole and heaping praise upon our hard-working ancestors.

One truly great thing about our ancestors is that they actually (on most occassions anyway) held others responsible for their actions.
There has to be a much greater than average failure rate to consider a class action law suit. There is a case for the older design 01/02 tranny, as the failure rate for that tranny is fairly high.

The 04 and 06 tranny carry an "average" major problem rate and the 05 carries an "above average" major problem rate according to the Consumer Reports owner reported surveys. When a vehicle carries a problem rate that is average among all vehicles, it is hard to call it enough of a problem to warrant a class action lawsuit settlement.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Right!

How stupid of us to spend $40,000+ for a car and expect the transmission not to explode after 50,000 miles.
If that's a concern, there are cars with 10 year, 100,000 mile warranties. You have free choice to take these things into consideration before you make a purchase. To expect more than the contract you agreed to calls for is just self interest at the expense of the other party to the contract.

Our ancestors only needed a handshake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There has to be a much greater than average failure rate to consider a class action law suit. There is a case for the older design 01/02 tranny, as the failure rate for that tranny is fairly high.

The 04 and 06 tranny carry an "average" major problem rate and the 05 carries an "above average" major problem rate according to the Consumer Reports owner reported surveys. When a vehicle carries a problem rate that is average among all vehicles, it is hard to call it enough of a problem to warrant a class action lawsuit settlement.
That's a rational argument and I won't argue against it. I'm certain that there is legal precedence for what does or does not qualify for a winable class action lawsuit. This one, in particular, may not.

But, to make a general statement that any layman who would even consider this option is just greedy, or not hard-working simply isn't true.

The other argument that "if it isn't in your contract, you shouldn't expect it" is absolutely asinine. A high-priced, luxury SUV, built by a company with a sterling reputation for quality does tend to bring along with it a somewhat higher expectation than that of a Korean economy car. I should expect a higher level of quality from Kia because they have a 100,000 mile warranty? Really? That argument doesn't hold an ounce of water. Even if it did, if Kias has the failure rate of MDX transmissions, they'd likely be out of business in the U.S. by now.

And, everything that went wrong with my car did go wrong under extended warranty. That isn't really my concern. My concern is that Acura would allow such a shoddy product to reach the market and then continue to sell it for so long. Even if my 10-year, 100k warranty Kia went through two transmissions under warranty I would be upset. You think I would be buying another one of those?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The other argument that "if it isn't in your contract, you shouldn't expect it"
I agree. But it isn't a case of something "not being in the contract". The terms of the warranty are very clearly spelled out, and one of those papers you signed should explain that it is the only warranty that comes with the car. An extended warranty is another contract that spells out the terms.

Signing a contract is like "giving your word". Folks should stand behind their word. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
That's a rational argument and I won't argue against it. I'm certain that there is legal precedence for what does or does not qualify for a winable class action lawsuit. This one, in particular, may not.

But, to make a general statement that any layman who would even consider this option is just greedy, or not hard-working simply isn't true.

The other argument that "if it isn't in your contract, you shouldn't expect it" is absolutely asinine. A high-priced, luxury SUV, built by a company with a sterling reputation for quality does tend to bring along with it a somewhat higher expectation than that of a Korean economy car. I should expect a higher level of quality from Kia because they have a 100,000 mile warranty? Really? That argument doesn't hold an ounce of water. Even if it did, if Kias has the failure rate of MDX transmissions, they'd likely be out of business in the U.S. by now.

And, everything that went wrong with my car did go wrong under extended warranty. That isn't really my concern. My concern is that Acura would allow such a shoddy product to reach the market and then continue to sell it for so long. Even if my 10-year, 100k warranty Kia went through two transmissions under warranty I would be upset. You think I would be buying another one of those?
I agree that a transmission should last at least 100K. The catch 22 is that you had an aftermaket extended warranty. When that happens, acura lets the extended warranty company pay. Often it is Acura itself under it's Acura Care warranty. When your first failure happened, it is entirely likely that they would have paid for replacement entirely under goodwill if you did not have an extended warranty. Instead Geico used a rebuild of unknown quality/origin. Acura and/or Acura Care would have given you essentially a transmission remanufactured to new specs. In this case the rebuild caused a very serious failure situation. You might have a case against the rebuild company since this failure mode is not a common one for Acura.

Acura did change the design for the 2003 model year that eliminated the large failure rates. So they did not continue to sell it for "so long". As noted the 2004 tranny has an average transmission failure rate for all vehicles. For 2004 that is a 2% reported failure rate. Some other vehicles are better, some are worse, but 2% of 2004 MDX owners will experience a major transmission problem. Comparably, a 2004 Ford Explorer has a worse than average major transmission reliability rating, and a much more expensive 2003 BMW X5 carries the same transmission reliability rating as the 2004 MDX.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts