Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trying to see it from the inside here with the evidence provided (I'm a service advisor at a So. Cal Acura Dealership). It looks like they did the first oil consumption test (however that RO doesn't pull up in eVRM). They returned and likely did not meet the 1 qt per 1000 miles required. It possibly could have been close, hence repeating the test again at the next scheduled service (or the dealership is hunting for work).

Now from the dealership perspective from the techs, if they find a car with an oil consumption issue, THEY WANT THE JOB because it pays something like 13 hours. The few MDX's I've taken care of with the issue also often were due for timing belts, and usually I would just charge parts and 1.5 hours since there's so much labor overlap. Most of my clients did so. So, from a service writer perspective, I want the job too, because from my pay plan, it helps the numbers out quite a bit and a lot of the times, we're able to do a lot of the bigger jobs with less CP totals (one of those while we're in there things). If a customer ended up going with the whole shebang that we recommend, it usually ends up being right around $1500-1900 out of pocket (my dealer labor rate is at $220/hr). And besides what was covered under the warranty extension was to have the heads set to a machine shop to get decked, new valve seals, t-belt group, oil pump reseal, valve adjustment, spark plugs... pretty much the whole nine yards.

So, for the oil consumption test, we have to abide by the factory rules because we're dipping into their pockets and that's beyond our control at the dealership level. And that goes for any and all warranty work. But for many of my customers that keep their vehicles for a long while, they take advantage of the immense amount of labor overlap there is. And I'm fair with my customers, because I'll give them the options on some of the parts, albeit the warranty stipulations change when we go that route (i.e. do you want a "Honda" spark plug at $57/ea that carry a nationwide 12mo/12k mile warranty or a NGK plug that's the exact same thing but can only be warrantied at MY service dept. for 12mo/12k miles at $23/ea).

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I wonder why Acura/Honda is having such a hard time building V-6s and even now I-4 turbos like in the CR-V? The 2.4L in my 06 TSX (totaled in Nov/19) and 2.3T in my 08 RDX (still going) had +340,000 miles between them and don't use a drop of oil between 5K changes. Even my old 97 Honda Accord with +240,000 miles didn't use any oil between changes.

Not sure how much money the bean counters saved short-term compared to the long-term hit to Acura/Honda reliability and customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

My husband and I are considering buying a 2012 MDX with 140,372 miles. According to the Carfax report, it's a one-owner vehicle and oil changes have been done religiously from the very beginning.

On that report, we see that an oil consumption test was performed on it twice:

1. 04/24/2019 at 128,893 miles
2. 09/10/2019 at 134,466 miles

We found this site earlier this morning and read through the information about the oil consumption issue and now we're wondering if we should just pass on this MDX.

Is there a way to know whether or not the work has already been done to repair the issue? We entered the VIN to check for recalls at my.acura.com and it says there are no open recalls, but I'm not sure if this would be listed there.
Go to Car Fax and the ask where it has been serviced. I have a 2012 MDX Advanced. Acura replaces the Pistons and rings. She runs incredibly better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the oil test doesn't prove a darn thing, because Acura and it's dealers have been ripping of the owners of those cars with bogus oil test. What they do is they change your oil and then tell you to bring it back in a 1,000 miles and they'll see how much oil it's used, except what they don't tell you is that they overfilled the crankcase with about a 1/2 quart more than required, why? Because when you go in to have it checked they will show you the dipstick as the pull it out and say, see, it's not below the fill line your engine is good! And Acura says in their guidelines that a car using a quart every 1,000 miles is within specs!? So they won't fix it under the recall!

In my book it's not, that's a lot of oil usage, that's 6 quarts of oil you have to put in over the course of 7,000 miles between oil changes, that's absurd. The most amount of oil any car I've owned in 50 years of driving was a quart between changes, and that was only one car, all the others burned no more than a half a quart, and now we have to accept 6 quarts between oil changes as normal? LOL!!! Acura is making fools of us all.

And the recall is only for certain year of MDX's but they had a slew of other years doing the exact same thing and all of those cars have one thing in common...they use the 3.7 V6. However they also are not recalling the 3.5 V6's used from 2010 onward in TL's that are also burning oil like crazy. Thank God my car is a 09 that doesn't use any.

Then read this: Acura Oil consumption recall Jun 06, 2019 @ Pissed Consumer

However I figured out a trick so you can beat their game. Simply buy a oil change pump, that you insert a hose down the dipstick tube, turn on the pump and suck some of that oil out so it's well below the fill mark, then take the car in and have them test the results. Now you're probably wondering why not just drain some oil out of the drain plug, because they sealed it, and if you tamper with the seal the game is over.

Honda is simply not the company they once were, they are now making schity cars thinking Americans are stupid, they love their Honda cars, so lets rip off them off just like the American car companies have been doing for years to Americans.

This fiasco with how Acura is treating their customers is why I will never buy another Acura.
Hmm mine was fixed and a noticeably difference in performance. Mine now rips up the pavement like it was on a racetrack. Noticeable mpg increase. Didn’t pay a dime even had an Acura TLX for a week.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts